Fatal Habitat bug with iris sensor
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I bought Habitat as a backup system to use after the shutdown.  Presents works fine with Iphone and android.  Iris window contact sensor Ver 2 works fine EXCEPT the sensor does not report back to the hub its status.  When I pull the battery out of the sensor,  the hub says it is still connected and reports a battery %.  Rebooting the hub and refreshing the sensor still report it is still connected and still reports battery % even though there is no battery in the sensor.  The only way to know if a sensor is not working or low battery is to activate the sensor and see if the hub responds.  I do not know if this applies to other Iris sensors or other brands but this is a no go for me.

3 hours ago, paracanary said:

I bought Habitat as a backup system to use after the shutdown.  Presents works fine with Iphone and android.  Iris window contact sensor Ver 2 works fine EXCEPT the sensor does not report back to the hub its status.  When I pull the battery out of the sensor,  the hub says it is still connected and reports a battery %.  Rebooting the hub and refreshing the sensor still report it is still connected and still reports battery % even though there is no battery in the sensor.  The only way to know if a sensor is not working or low battery is to activate the sensor and see if the hub responds.  I do not know if this applies to other Iris sensors or other brands but this is a no go for me.

I would suggest resetting the sensor and reconnecting it. I have over 40 of these on Hubitat and the absolutely report contact and battery status and do so quickly. I use a few to trigger lighting automations too.

I am only speculating but it appears that the sensor never completed ias enrollment. Without completing enrollment the device has not been  told what to report and when.  You might be able to fix it just by pressing the “configure” button to push the config to the device. 

I tried what you suggested.  As before the sensor still reports battery %, contact, and temp.  Opening and closing the window is reflected in the hub immediately.  Now when I pull out the battery to simulate a sensor failure, the hub says everything is fine and the battery level is ok, the temp and window position is reported in the hub as it was before I pulled out the battery.  In Iris, there is a red dot when a sensor is off line.  In the habitat hub, how do you tell.  You could have a lot of sensors off line, think you are secure when you really are not.  I am curious if this is the way your hub works.

14 hours ago, paracanary said:

I tried what you suggested.  As before the sensor still reports battery %, contact, and temp.  Opening and closing the window is reflected in the hub immediately.  Now when I pull out the battery to simulate a sensor failure, the hub says everything is fine and the battery level is ok, the temp and window position is reported in the hub as it was before I pulled out the battery.  In Iris, there is a red dot when a sensor is off line.  In the habitat hub, how do you tell.  You could have a lot of sensors off line, think you are secure when you really are not.  I am curious if this is the way your hub works.

How long are you waiting to see if the sensor is being reported as inactive.  It's not instant, nor was it in Iris either.. Zigbee devices go to sleep for a long period of time, only waking up periodically to check in.  In SmartThings the interval is about 32 minutes for a check-in.  And device has to miss 4 check-ins or become unresponsive for 2 1/2 hours before being declared inactive.  I do not know the exact interval Hubitat uses, but they do have that functionality.. Here is what you will see when a device goes offline.  This particular sensor fell off the door during the extreme cold last week and no longer works.  You can get push notifications for low batteries using Hubitat Safety Monitor.

There are two community supplied apps that improve upon offline device reporting.  Device Watchdog and Device Monitor.  I used Device Monitor in SmartThings and found it to be very useful.  Both of those apps go beyond the standard "ping" tests, and actually look to see that the device has reported any kind of events over a period of time.

They're planning to release similar functionality to what Iris has.  I'm willing to bet it will be released at the same time the mobile app is comes out this spring.  In the meantime, have a look at the solutions provided by the community.  They'll do exactly what you're looking for.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.35.30 AM.png