Hubitat or Vera - I want a sales pitch from both vendors

9 posts in this topic

Many of us have been inquiring about Hubitat and Vera.  They both are trying to attract us Iris users.  I am a bit tossed between each.  Vera has low ratings on the Android app (so did Iris) while Hubitat doesn't have an app...yet.  We understand that there is no cookie cutter with our devices and many of us have a full variety of v1 & v2 and other devices (locks, smoke detectors, water sensors...).  I need 2 systems and "might" get both to test from my rebate.  I know that both vendors are active on this forum and want a DETAILED response as to why "we" should go with your service.   Don't "over promise" and "under deliver" but just honest info.  Feel free to provide an honest timetable of any future features.

Let the games begin...

I completed the process for my redemption last night and was pleased with $ amount I am supposed to receive, and I have receipts for purchases made for unpaired devices bought since first week of December.  I have started looking at alternate systems that will offer security with remote access first, and automation with remote access.  My current camera system is separate, and I mainly use the Honeywell app for my thermostat, but it was nice to check climate in house and trigger events with Iris.

I too am looking at Hubitat and Vera closely, as I would prefer to use some of my existing hardware, have a phone app, and hopefully not have to tinker too much to get the basic features I need.  If I had time, and extra $ to try things to see if they would work, I would go to Smartthings and work it out as I go, but I don't have that extra $ to test solutions.

And I do appreciate the efforts by the vendors to assist us with this, I'm sure many of us put a few hours into our research before we first bought Iris.  I do recall during my own decision process then thinking that a system backed by the Lowes corporation should have longevity...silly me.  Oh well.

@joshfromvera, what would be very useful for evaluation would be some videos or even just screen shots of various tasks in your app.  Without this, we're kind of flying blind until we buy a hub and start playing.  I'm not interested in buying hubs until I find the one that's best for me. 

Some of the things I'm interested in seeing are:

1) viewing and filtering the event log (please tell you you have a "show everything except motion sensors" option!)

2) Process for creating rules, and the options available therein.

3) Viewing temperature and power usage graphs (hoping you have this)

4) I see the Dome and Aeon Labs Siren/Chime device are compatible - I'd like to see how you set a particular chime for a particular door.

Also, thanks for being here for these types of questions.

21 hours ago, joshfromvera said:

We're currently testing Iris products in-house to determine our level of compatibility. When we know more next week, we'll be able to give you a more detailed pitch.  Stay tuned...

The hard part for me is waiting to hear results.  I spent weeks researching before picking Iris, so getting more info from Hubitat and Vera will only help me make a better decision.  My wife is worried about keeping the features she liked, and if I can do that, she's ready to buy the replacement solution ASAP.

22 hours ago, joelh said:

@joshfromvera, what would be very useful for evaluation would be some videos or even just screen shots of various tasks in your app.  Without this, we're kind of flying blind until we buy a hub and start playing.  I'm not interested in buying hubs until I find the one that's best for me. 

Some of the things I'm interested in seeing are:

1) viewing and filtering the event log (please tell you you have a "show everything except motion sensors" option!)

2) Process for creating rules, and the options available therein.

3) Viewing temperature and power usage graphs (hoping you have this)

4) I see the Dome and Aeon Labs Siren/Chime device are compatible - I'd like to see how you set a particular chime for a particular door.

Also, thanks for being here for these types of questions.

Joel, we do have filtering of events. In the second screen (attached), you can see that you can choose which types of notifications you want to receive. The first screen shows how you can view alerts by device type. You cannot make exclusions at this point in time.

Our scene creation tools are very flexible. You can see some how-to videos, with screencasts, here: https://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/search?q=scene%3A&b_id=712

We do not have temperature or power usage graphics at this time, but its an increasingly often requested feature and is something we're looking at for future development.

Those chimes you mention are compatible, but I do not believe there's an ability to create distinct chimes for different doors. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.08.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 1.10.12 PM.png

3 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

The hard part for me is waiting to hear results.  I spent weeks researching before picking Iris, so getting more info from Hubitat and Vera will only help me make a better decision.  My wife is worried about keeping the features she liked, and if I can do that, she's ready to buy the replacement solution ASAP.

Agree wholeheartedly. I spent some time investigating VeraSecure when it first came out, and I remember from their discussion groups that everything Iris post-V1 was pretty much supported. I also note that most of Vera's documentation appears to be behind their member wall. @joshfromvera, I would like to see user manuals from each Vera system posted here, and the results from Vera's analysis of Iris devices as they become available. Obviously, time is of the essence here. That said, when I previously checked out VeraSecure, I was very impressed with its capabilities. I would have purchased a system then but for the time involved in switching over. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, joshfromvera said:

We're currently testing Iris products in-house to determine our level of compatibility. When we know more next week, we'll be able to give you a more detailed pitch.  Stay tuned...

Josh,

If you are still checking this forum, any updates you can share or estimates of compatibility for V2 devices?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, joshfromvera said:

We do not have temperature or power usage graphics at this time, but its an increasingly often requested feature and is something we're looking at for future development.

IRIS v1 had that.  IRIS v2 threw it out.