Platform Poll
7 7

Smart Home Platform Poll  

78 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Platform

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/2019 at 05:59 AM

41 posts in this topic

Hubitat for me.

I'm all done with those fancy cloud based systems. I'm amazed how small Hubitat is. My iris hub refused to diso my GE Z wave switches and outlets, in fact it refused to give anything up. Spent 3 hrs on with tech support and tier 2. they said there losing more control as days go by to look into systems as there taking more control offline. Long story short, reset your Z wave and Zigbee devices yourself. Save the grief, Just delete the device from iris. Some devices were a little finicky, but did finally work. Still need to do programming and much more to go, but its a good start.

I use both HUBS at the same time now. Actually 3 hubs. Have an Iris in the Shed lol ūüôĄ

3 : First Alert CO smoke detectors 

6 : Utilitech Sirens 

1 : Aeon Power Monitor

18 : GE Zwave Switches

1 : GE Zwave Plug 

**** DID ANYBODY GET ANY MONEY OR CREDIT YET? ****

Waiting on $2500.00 is it store credit or Visa Debit card?

Got plenty of V1 devices keft if anybody interested.

1 hour ago, c379776 said:

Can I rescind my vote?  I'm back on the hunt.

Yes, just go back to the poll results and click on "Show Vote Options" in the bottom left corner.

***Edit***  Doing this will not let you rescind your vote, but it will let you change it to another system.

Don't understand why moving to HomeKit or even Aluxa are not being discussed.  My research over the past few weeks shows that by in large, the device availability and affordability is in devices that pair with Apple's HomeKit and Amazon's Aluxa.  Will all of our current Iris devices pair with these platforms... NO.  But, for the refund I received, I'm able to replace almost all of my devices with those compatible with these platforms.  

That said... I'm going to have a some devices (slightly used) to sell. 

16 hours ago, Pirate said:

Don't understand why moving to HomeKit or even Aluxa are not being discussed.  My research over the past few weeks shows that by in large, the device availability and affordability is in devices that pair with Apple's HomeKit and Amazon's Aluxa.  Will all of our current Iris devices pair with these platforms... NO.  But, for the refund I received, I'm able to replace almost all of my devices with those compatible with these platforms.  

That said... I'm going to have a some devices (slightly used) to sell. 

I agree there's not enough discussion on HomeKit.  My ultimate goal would be a system that communicates through that.  My son has his home populated with Insteon automation devices using an ISY hub and has a Raspberry-Pi that interfaces that with Homekit.  I'm hoping one of the R-Pi solutions (i.e., SystronicsRF or Arcus) will support such a Homekit interface eventually.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, RonLh said:

I agree there's not enough discussion on HomeKit.  My ultimate goal would be a system that communicates through that.  My son has his home populated with Insteon automation devices using an ISY hub and has a Raspberry-Pi that interfaces that with Homekit.  I'm hoping one of the R-Pi solutions (i.e., SystronicsRF or Arcus) will support such a Homekit interface eventually.

I started a thread in the General forum.  

I moved to Wink.  Had to buy new sensors since most of mine were V1. 

*Radio Thermostats -yes

*V1 Door Sensors -no

*Ultitech Waterleak sensors -no (replaced with Dome)

*Gargae Opener (MyQ) - yes

*Ultitech Siren - yes (as a switch)

*Rachio Sprinkler - yes

*Light Switches_ yes

*V1 motion sensor -no (new one came with Wink kit, and bought one other)

-Smoke/CO2 - no (First Alert).  Looking at Kiddie

-Kwikset Lock (910) _yes

Ring Doorbell - Yes

-V1 Keypad - no (haven't tried)

-V1 Fob -no (haven't tried)

Have routines in Alexa and robots in Wink for Home and away modes that trigger the siren or via Alexa command.

Still tinkering with cameras, bought a Wyze to mess around with, but doens't integrate with Wink.

Also bought some Amazon buttons to trigger routines in Alexa --> Wink.

All in all, with the $ from Lowe's, fairly breakeven.

I moved to Wink.  Had to buy new sensors since most of mine were V1. 
*Radio Thermostats -yes
*V1 Door Sensors -no
*Ultitech Waterleak sensors -no (replaced with Dome)
*Gargae Opener (MyQ) - yes
*Ultitech Siren - yes (as a switch)
*Rachio Sprinkler - yes
*Light Switches_ yes
*V1 motion sensor -no (new one came with Wink kit, and bought one other)
-Smoke/CO2 - no (First Alert).  Looking at Kiddie
-Kwikset Lock (910) _yes
Ring Doorbell - Yes
-V1 Keypad - no (haven't tried)
-V1 Fob -no (haven't tried)
Have routines in Alexa and robots in Wink for Home and away modes that trigger the siren or via Alexa command.
Still tinkering with cameras, bought a Wyze to mess around with, but doens't integrate with Wink.
Also bought some Amazon buttons to trigger routines in Alexa --> Wink.
All in all, with the $ from Lowe's, fairly breakeven.

The Dome siren is a nice add to Wink. You get the door chimes back with several choices to differentiate between doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With my card finally in the same ZIP code as I am, I am ready to order something.

Based on what I have seen so far, I'm thinking I'll go with Hubitat and a Ring Doorbell to start, and maybe a Ring Alarm if I can't get Hubitat to behave as needed for the basic security.

My wife was on the patio tonight, playing with the patio string lights controlled via Iris and an outdoor smart plug, and actually asked "Do you think you'll be able to set these up again in whatever you get to replace Iris?  I forgot how cool it was to have these on a remote and automatically come on..."

So I have to have a solution now ūüėČ, can't let her down when she thinks something I did was actually cool.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:46 PM, Dredwolf said:

With my card finally in the same ZIP code as I am, I am ready to order something.

Based on what I have seen so far, I'm thinking I'll go with Hubitat and a Ring Doorbell to start, and maybe a Ring Alarm if I can't get Hubitat to behave as needed for the basic security.

My wife was on the patio tonight, playing with the patio string lights controlled via Iris and an outdoor smart plug, and actually asked "Do you think you'll be able to set these up again in whatever you get to replace Iris?  I forgot how cool it was to have these on a remote and automatically come on..."

So I have to have a solution now ūüėČ, can't let her down when she thinks something I did was actually cool.

So my Hubitat hub arrived today, and I picked up a Ring doorbell to play with.  I got to run a new doorbell wire and fabricate a mount to deal with my inset front door.

Just an FYI. If you're moving to s.t. from iris and want built-in battery backup, you may want to stick with the v2 of the s.t. hub, not the v3. The v2 has a few slots for batteries and the radios have slightly better range than the v3. Also just of comparison, my Iris v2 hub has better zigbee wall penetration and range than the V3 s.t. hub does.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, Terminal said:

Hubitat is fielded but it is still a failrly new offering.  SystronicsRF is just now starting into a Beta test phase, so it could be a little while before it's available to the general public.

SystronicsRF has actually been developing its system for the Gen 1 devices a lot longer than Hubitat has. I think SRF is closer to the finish line although there is more work to be done.