Platform Poll
5 5

Smart Home Platform Poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Platform

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 04/01/2019 at 05:59 AM

30 posts in this topic

The shutdown got me off my feet and over to Hubitat and Ring Alarm.  I'm using Hubitat as the main hub with a relay triggering a single contact sensor on the Ring Alarm for its professional monitoring service.  I've spent a lot more time on the migration than I wanted but everything appears to be running well and I now have the flexibility to implement rules and automations that were never possible with Iris.  I have been able to take over every non-V1 device over to Hubitat::

• Iris v2 motion sensors
  • Iris v2 contact sensors
  • Iris v2 buttons
  • Iris v2 keypads(+)
  • Schlage lock
  • Utilitech (Iris) sirens
  • Lutron Caseta switches, dimmers, and (Pico) remotes
  • Orbit (Iris) water valve(*)
  • Dome siren(*)
  • Dome water monitor(*)
  • Smartthings presence sensors(*)
  • Qubino relay(*)

(+) Works with Hubitat but no longer using.
(*) Newly added post-migration.

For professional monitoring, I soldered the Qubino dry-contact relay to a single Ring Alarm contact sensor.  The Ring Alarm is configured with 0-sec entry and exit delays.  Hubitat manages all the entry and exit delays and when it detects a security event, it toggles the relay after the entry delay elapses.  I no longer use any of the Iris keypads and now use a Pico remote to arm the alarm and a valid lock code on the Schlage lock to disarm.  I also have Alexa TTS integrated into Hubitat so that there are verbal notifications:

• when the alarm is armed home, armed away, and disarmed;
  • for the entry and exit delays;
  • when the garage door is opening and closed; and
  • when the pool water level is too high (Dome water monitor integrated into the skimmer that triggers the Orbit water valve to discharge water via the cartridge filter).

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with this solution.  Hubitat has its quirks and I found the Hub Safety Monitor (HSM) and Motion Lighting components to be poorly thought out.  Much of the effort was spent on implementing HSM and Motion Lighting, discovering all the quirks and trying to address or work around them, and finally implementing what I wanted exactly using the Rule Machine (RM).  I should also note that a few key integrations between Hubitat and the Nest Thermostat, Nest Protect, Ring Alarm (to sync armed home, armed away, and disarmed states), Alexa text-to-speech (TTS), and Chamberlain MyQ (garage door opener) are dependent on community-written apps and drivers available for Hubitat or Smartthings.

The poll only lets you vote for one system, but a lot of people are going to be splitting up security and HA into two systems from what I have seen.
I voted SmartThings, but I'm planing on a fair amount of my budget going towards ring equipment as well.

46 minutes ago, thegillion said:

@Wlepse and @RonLh how many of you guys have cameras ?

I do not have Iris cameras. My cameras are stand alone to an NVR. I do have other cameras floating around that I could play with though if you need something checked. Currently I think I have a few old D-Link cameras and an old Dropcam now Nest.

I plan on moving over to Abode. Easy, simple.

I tried smarthings, it was way to cumbersome to maintain for a security system.

I am still contemplating Ring for security and ST for automation. It would be cheaper than moving to abode. I already pay for the cameras.

If Ring had Geofencing or Keyfobs, i would be sold and would have already ordered. That is the one thing my wife says it must have.

Short term I’m going to buy equipment required for SystronicsRF and play with openHab until systronics and arcus are available then play with them.  Long term if I’m not satisfied with one of those then I will probably go to a minimal Smartthings system.  My needs are pretty basic so my old iris sensors with an open source system will probably adequate,

I spent a couple of days now messing with openHAB.  I used the hardware I bought for the Systronics RF beta.  I connected one zigbee, one Z-wave and one wifi device.  I went through the whole process up to building a rule.  Only took me about 20 hours.  I'm going to get a Hubitat for now while SystronicsRF matures.

I spent the weekend migrating.  I moved all the Home Automation “stuff” over to SmartThings and went with Ring for security.  I was worried about getting things to unpair from IRIS so I could repair them to Smartthings but that went smoother than I thought it would.  My thinking was that Ring is extremely well funded by Amazon and I look for that platform to explode and would not be surprised to be able to drop SmartThings, maybe that is wishful thinking.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, Vettester said:

With Iris shutting down, which platform are you moving to?

Can you select more than one? I ask because it may take two to cover the range of functionality that Iris had.

So Ring + SmartThings as just one example.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, sptrr99 said:

I'm going to go to Hubitat. For my cameras, I'm going to use Blue Iris on a small PC and WYZE cameras.  Probably re-flash the firmware to https://openip.cam/

Wyze cameras do not work with Blue Iris out of the box?

I want to get my Wyze cams working with IP Cam Viewer but haven't sat down and figured it out yet.

2 hours ago, sparc said:

Can you select more than one? I ask because it may take two to cover the range of functionality that Iris had.

So Ring + SmartThings as just one example.

Unfortunately the polling function will only let you select one option.  If you are replacing Iris with more than one system then you are more than welcome to add a comment if you would like.

I'm the lone guy up there with Wink.  I already had a Wink hub and was mostly playing with it because Iris was so much better at what I needed.  I am leaning towards Ring for the security side of the system.

I was skeptical when purchasing the IRIS system because it was cloud based.  I'm not that informed on all the systems available, but I would like to keep away from the cloud based platforms. Keeping info local will be more secure and I don't want to depend on a third party system.  It looks like Hubitat doesn't rely on the cloud, but I'm not certain.  Could someone post which platforms run locally but only need internet access for sending alerts and mobile app connections? I would certainly appreciate the help trying to figure out which platform will work best for my needs.  I'm running BlueIris for all my video so I just need something to do the physical security (door contacts, water sensors, motion sensors, etc and the rules and such to trigger sending alerts).

In the meantime, I'm trying to spend as much time researching these different platforms.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, apschreiber said:

I was skeptical when purchasing the IRIS system because it was cloud based.  I'm not that informed on all the systems available, but I would like to keep away from the cloud based platforms. Keeping info local will be more secure and I don't want to depend on a third party system.  It looks like Hubitat doesn't rely on the cloud, but I'm not certain.  Could someone post which platforms run locally but only need internet access for sending alerts and mobile app connections? I would certainly appreciate the help trying to figure out which platform will work best for my needs.  I'm running BlueIris for all my video so I just need something to do the physical security (door contacts, water sensors, motion sensors, etc and the rules and such to trigger sending alerts).

In the meantime, I'm trying to spend as much time researching these different platforms.

Thanks.

I'm with you I do not want to continue on a cloud based system.  The two I know of that are non cloud based are Hubitat, as you mentioned, and SystronicRF.  Hubitat is fielded but it is still a failrly new offering.  SystronicsRF is just now starting into a Beta test phase, so it could be a little while before it's available to the general public.