What will happen to this forum?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I see the title of this community has been changed to Living withOUT iris in some places.
Is there a long term gameplan? I would imagine eventually this will evolve to be more of a generic community covering many different smart home platforms.
I can see eventually all the old iris info being rolled up into its own "legacy iris" section.

I would also imagine it could also eventually lean a lot towards the open source edition of iris and systronics may also have a strong presence here.

If Arcus should be released in a truly viable form, I see no reason why it cannot continue on as a place to discuss that.  I already like the fact that its starting to diversify into other platforms, so there's also a possible future in that direction too. 

I would like to see this forum stay, as a place for us to get input from people whose knowledge we already value.  The "official" forums are not always the answer, I 'm a member of at least one, if not several "unofficial" forums for my hobbies, work, and work at home. Often, I get the best solutions on the unofficial forums.

Here, we already know the moderators, who probably are less likely to be sensitive to negative feedback on the various products.  For example, the Hubitat forums are active, and upbeat, but I would trust a "these are the downsides to Hubitat" post on this forum as being more "real".  It's why I am checking this forum for Vera feedback.

And here, if there is interest keeping the forum going, we can all check out the other possibilities from other platforms.

I think this forum has viability for at least a year. With everyone switching to other platforms, sometimes things seem rosy at first then you start to realize some of the short comings or things you miss from Iris. I would think this would be a "safe" place to come vent your frustrations about a platform and possible find a solution or another platform that might fit your needs better. By that time it could be that Arcus or SystronicsRF is is play and this may become the defacto forum for those platforms. 

Clearly, based on discussions throughout this forum, there is a dire need for a non-affiliated home automation website where knowledgeable people can share experiences and solutions.  The world of home automation and security is still the wild west to some extent and, as most of us have found, difficult to get clear roadmaps to solutions to meet our varied needs.  I would think such a generic website would support enough hits to be self sustaining through ads (though ad-free is better).

1 hour ago, RonLh said:

The world of home automation and security is still the wild west to some extent and, as most of us have found, difficult to get clear roadmaps to solutions to meet our varied needs.  I would think such a generic website would support enough hits to be self sustaining through ads (though ad-free is better).

While some have been able to switch platforms quickly, I doubt I am the only one here that was unable to quickly identify a new platform to easily replace the specific things I was doing with Iris.  This includes cameras also, my camera system is cobbled together with older Axis M1054 cameras that were a garbage dumpster find, and a refurb HP SFF desktop, but I want to build a better POE system.  Reviews and official forums are one thing, but "This is how I solved problem X with Brand Y..." is worth a lot.