I'm switching to SmartThings ... anything I should do first? ... And ... new forum?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Hello, fellow Iris orphans.  It's been fun.

After going blind reading so many websites and making an attempt at a spreadsheet to organize my thinking, I just decided to go with SmartThings and figure it out from there.  It works with my most expensive stuff, and I'm getting $300+ from Lowes (which I think is pretty classy, btw) to help with everything else.  Anyway ... I'm committed.  The hub is sitting on the counter beside me.  Before I start pairing, etc., do I need to get everything connected to Iris and then remove it from Iris?  (Nothing is currently paired because I happened to have just moved to a new house, so yes, marvelous time to be figuring out a new system!)  Do the various components (sensors, etc.) "know" that they're paired with Iris?  No, right?  

Also, anyone know the go-to online forum for all-things-SmartThings?  I'm assuming https://community.smartthings.com, but I want to be sure I'm hanging with the cool kids.

Well, I just saw that my questions were already answered in Weather42's adjacent thread.  And: UGH.  Get Iris running again and unpair.  That will be a project for tonight if I can find the right boxes.

I believe you'll have to "unpair" each of these devices in some way or another. For Zigbee devices you'll need to find the reset procedure I believe... For Z-Wave there should be a feature in smartthings that allows it to discover orphaned devices and "exclude" them, basically unpairing them from whatever hub the were previously paired with. I don't recall what this function is called though. In iris, it was in a section of the app called "z-wave tools".

Just now, ChrisSH said:

Well, I just saw that my questions were already answered in Weather42's adjacent thread.  And: UGH.  Get Iris running again and unpair.  That will be a project for tonight if I can find the right boxes.

If they are already paired with iris it may be faster and easier to fire everything up and remove them from iris first... however, if the hub they were paired to was unavailable you could reset/exclude each device without having access to the hub.

I’m gradually moving everything over. So far I have only left:

2 Thermostats (still “coming soon”) to ST
4 FOBs that I will replace with ST Presence indicators
2 2nd gen keypads that I haven’t had time to mess with the custom handlers and crap
1 Orbit irrigation timer that I just might have to use manually

Plus, I really miss my door beeps.

I spent last week migrating from Iris to Smartthings.  I just unpaired each device from Iris and re-paired it with Smartthings one at a time, leaving the alarm functionality all on Iris until I had time to move it all at once.

My best advice is not to try setting up rules/scenes/etc until after you have everything paired and then one thing at a time start recreating what you already have set up to run.  Play with new stuff later.  I also screwed myself up at first trying to use both the Smartthings Classic and the new app... I ended up having to remove all my configurations and starting over in just the Classic app.

I just got the Aeon Doorbell last night and had fun making MP3s for each window and door that starts with a pleasant tri-tone and then has a man's voice say the name of the device.  Like you I missed the door beeps too much and now I'm tickled pink every time I open a door and hear "doodoodoo Kitchen Door".   But outside of making the Iris v2 keypads beep (which were always too delayed because they're processed in the cloud I think), I only got somewhat acceptable (more annoying than anything) beeps out of the Aeon Siren, and the way I had it set up you couldn't use the siren for both siren and door chime functions- just one or the other which was a huge waste of a loud plug-in siren (I bought it because I was always afraid the Utilitech siren's batteries will go dead without Iris telling me, so this way I have a plug-in backup).  The Aeon Doorbell is Aces for door chimes but I think I have to adjust the volume in my MP3s; I have the doorbell at volume 10 and it's too soft to hear over the tv even though it's supposed to be 80Db.  It's also pretty expensive at about $70 on Amazon.

59 minutes ago, acadiel said:

Plus, I really miss my door beeps.

I think, if you have an echo, you could trigger routines that announce things like "front door is open", when the appropriate contact sensor is opened.
I'm not sure how annoying that would get over time though. My plan is to do that with a couple of rarely used doors... if someone is snooping in my utility room out back I want to an audible alert.

1 minute ago, Smitho said:

I think, if you have an echo, you could trigger routines that announce things like "front door is open", when the appropriate contact sensor is opened.
I'm not sure how annoying that would get over time though. My plan is to do that with a couple of rarely used doors... if someone is snooping in my utility room out back I want to an audible alert.

I'll have to try that before the return period on my Aeon doorbell runs out to see if it's comparable without being too laggy.  The doorbell I think is processed locally and you can put your own custom MP3s on it which is cool - and could be fun at Halloween 😈

Just now, Soozicle1 said:

I'll have to try that before the return period on my Aeon doorbell runs out to see if it's comparable without being too laggy.  The doorbell I think is processed locally and you can put your own custom MP3s on it which is cool - and could be fun at Halloween 😈

Just checked, both the Aeon Doorbell or Siren are actually cloud but there's not much delay in the announcement anyway.

I successfully unpaired everything.  Every little "beep beep" was satisfying.  Got ST hub registered and updated, installing the classic app now--very glad to have found that tip.  On to pairing what I can ...

... Successfully paired my gen 2 contact sensors, gen 2 motion sensors, Sylvania bulbs, GoControl thermostats, and Schlage locks.  Feels good.  Of course, none of them actually do anything yet.  

For advanced rules In the SmartThings IDE under My SmartApps click settings in the upper right and add new repository and enter either

• ady624  CoRE  Master
  • ady624  WebCoRE Master

then lookup the one you chose to find out how to setup and use.  Depending on how you like to manage your environment Core is managed via the app WebCoRE is managed via a web site, WebCoRE is newer and can backup/export your rules.

These both allow very advanced rule creation for simple lighting only you can use the Smart Lighting app which is built in and can be added to your app via the SamrtApps screen Add a Smart App.  The advantage of this app over CoRE or WebCoRE for what it can work with is it can still execute the rules if the internet is down.

Does anyone know the frequency of the door beeps from the 1st gen keypad? I’d love to make a pure version with a tone generator and have a Arduino Shield trigger a digital playback to emulate them.

Edit: I asked here too and put the video here with the beeps: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32290438-Looking-to-identify-these-tone-frequencies

21 hours ago, Terk said:

For advanced rules In the SmartThings IDE under My SmartApps click settings in the upper right and add new repository and enter either

•  

I do not think CoRE works any longer.  I had heard that SmartThings disabled parts of it due to performance reasons.

I would only use WebCoRE, the GUI is much more intuitive to use.

I do not think CoRE works any longer.  I had heard that SmartThings disabled parts of it due to performance reasons.

I would only use WebCoRE, the GUI is much more intuitive to use.

It still works. I am using it for several things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too use CoRE all the time, WebCoRE is recommended by the developer since it is newer and you can backup/export the rules however you have to add devices to WebCoRE when you add them before you will find them available there with CoRE you don't.  I like CoRE because I can create the rules from my phone where the WebCoRE interface is too small and hard to use on the phone, there is a WebCoRE phone app but the authorization for both the app and the web interface expires too frequently and you have to go into the WebCoRE SmartApp to reestablish it when that happens.  I have both and have a few rules running in WebCoRE but mostly I still use CoRE.