Door Chimes
3 3

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sparc said:

I've only got one V2 smart button and I can't get it to pair with the hub. I have 4 other buttons but they are V1 and apparently won't work with Alexa.

I wish I had know about this capability with Alexa sooner I would have bought another V2 button or tried to get the one I have working.

The limitation is not the device but the platform, Iris.

I thought Alexa did not support V1 Iris devices in routines. That is where I thought my issue was.

Or are you saying that Iris can not process a commend sent from Alexa to the Iris hub for an Iris V1 device?

No you only see switches with Iris in Alexa. For example in ST Alexa sees contact and motion sensors but neither shows a button as a trigger. So with ST you can create actions based off ST triggers. Screen shots below are ST devices and ring doorbells. The ring is the only button you can action off of unless you have an echo button.

As scunny stated Iris platform doesn't publish contact and motion sensors to Alexa.

Echo Buttons (2 buttons per pack) - A fun companion for your Echo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072C4KCQH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5GbACb0DS66X38af05de154fc924b3cb0c2e85a35cdd6.jpg5003dc826a8f94de0f0a1a0d9fd4b408.jpgd75e8a22375d5ca2eaff0827c9c1b695.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SmartThings hub, using the Alexa skill, and setting up an Alexa routine.  I am sure it would do it with any platform that connects to Alexa and shows it as a contact sensor.

Awesome!!! So there is no special code that has to be written, it’s just all in the Alexa? You create the routine with the Alexa App? Thanks!!!

Edit: Nevermind I didn’t see the graphic. Thanks again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So because my wife has hearing challenges, we used the chimes, even as quiet as they were.  Besides the chime when a door opened (or even a freezer door), I also had a rule where if a door was open longer than a certain amount of time, a notification would be sent, or if a certain time was exceeded and temp change occurred, a notification would be sent.  I had not had time to find a solution yet, but some type of visual indicator was future project too.
On my v2 hub, I actually went in parallel with the piezo sounder and attached a 13v tolerant 3v driven optical relay(optocoupler)attached to one of those sirens on aftermarket vehicle alarms. Powered off my custom built UPS, which also powers the V2 hub on batt, with a USB adapter mod I also did. Wow... thinking about all the extra stuff I did to get my system golden, I sure hope Arcus comes out and at least gives us the power fail notifications.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, sparc said:

Echo buttons are big, about 3" diameter, and so for some applications kinda ugly. But the price is right, $19 for a pair.

Yeah they are huge, they're really meant to be game buttons like they have on Family Feud LOL.  I have the one running my "Let's Eat" routine hidden under part of the centerpiece on my dinner table.  You can see it when you look right at it but since it's black and it's underneath in the shadows it doesn't draw your attention when you look at the table.

My two cents on the Aeon Doorbell and Alexa:  I have a mix of both.  I like the flexibility of creating my own MP3s on the doorbell, though once I realized Alexa could announce device status changes it made it mostly redundant.  I still use the doorbell to announce alarm status changes and play custom alert tones I've made, which turned out to be a good-not-so-good thing when in the middle of the night last night my ST hub lost connectivity and ran the I'm Back routine when connectivity was restored, opening my garage door and unlocking my kitchen door at 5am when I was home alone asleep and it was still pitch black outside.  At least I woke up when the doorbell announced the alarm was disarming, the bedroom lights turned on, and Alexa announced the garage door was opening 😧  Really, ST?

2 hours ago, Soozicle1 said:

Yeah they are huge, they're really meant to be game buttons like they have on Family Feud LOL.  I have the one running my "Let's Eat" routine hidden under part of the centerpiece on my dinner table.  You can see it when you look right at it but since it's black and it's underneath in the shadows it doesn't draw your attention when you look at the table.

My two cents on the Aeon Doorbell and Alexa:  I have a mix of both.  I like the flexibility of creating my own MP3s on the doorbell, though once I realized Alexa could announce device status changes it made it mostly redundant.  I still use the doorbell to announce alarm status changes and play custom alert tones I've made, which turned out to be a good-not-so-good thing when in the middle of the night last night my ST hub lost connectivity and ran the I'm Back routine when connectivity was restored, opening my garage door and unlocking my kitchen door at 5am when I was home alone asleep and it was still pitch black outside.  At least I woke up when the doorbell announced the alarm was disarming, the bedroom lights turned on, and Alexa announced the garage door was opening 😧  Really, ST?

When I first switched to ST I had several routines that would open garage doors and unlock doors, but decided after a similar incident, that this was not a good idea.. I decided it was better to keep these things in our hands.  We use ST only as a backup in case we forget to lockup when we leave or leave something open at night..

That is what I've always done with ST as well, I automate locking doors and close the garage door on everyone gone/after a certain time, but I don't automate unlocking any but the door between the house and garage since the garage door has to be shut as well as someone arriving home for that to automatically unlock not just someone arriving home.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:08 PM, Terk said:

That is what I've always done with ST as well, I automate locking doors and close the garage door on everyone gone/after a certain time, but I don't automate unlocking any but the door between the house and garage since the garage door has to be shut as well as someone arriving home for that to automatically unlock not just someone arriving home.

My car has proximity keys so one of the main functions I want my home automation to do is open the house when I get home, and that way I never have to dig my keys out of my purse.  Having to dig around in a purse is one of those things that immediately gets under my skin like hearing someone chewing 😏 so it makes me feel vaguely like ripping off my skin.  I just needed to make sure the I'm Home scene is set to run only if the alarm status is AWAY, and make sure I only use PARTIAL when I'm at home so I'm Home never runs if I'm there asleep; I haven't had it happen again since.  Since I live alone I also have 2 key fobs in case one loses connection it doesn't fool the system into thinking I've left & come back; I had to do that with Iris, too.

Well my V2 Iris button had a bad battery contact. I wondered why I could never get it working. It was one of a bunch of devices and hub I picked up from a friend who didn't have the patience to stick it out. I had talked him into get the startup kit right about the time that the V2 hubs came out. He wasn't happy and tossed it all aside then was bale to grab the refund when Iris shut down so he wasn't so mad at me. He gave me all his hardware as he had no intention of trying to make it work elsewhere. The one V2 smart button he had I was told he could never get working, now I know why, the tab to contact the battery was jammed up tight in the back and not making contact. I tried to straighten it out but it had such a sharp crease in tit that it broke so that was that. There were no V2 buttons left at my two local Lowes stores so SOL

Weren't the Iris buttons (both versions) made by Centralite ? They sure look similar.

Anyone know if they work with ST ?

https://www.centralite.com/products/smart-button

https://www.centralite.com/downloads/Product_Catalog_US_2016.pdf

centralite smart button.png

3 hours ago, sparc said:

Well my V2 Iris button had a bad battery contact. I wondered why I could never get it working. It was one of a bunch of devices and hub I picked up from a friend who didn't have the patience to stick it out. I had talked him into get the startup kit right about the time that the V2 hubs came out. He wasn't happy and tossed it all aside then was bale to grab the refund when Iris shut down so he wasn't so mad at me. He gave me all his hardware as he had no intention of trying to make it work elsewhere. The one V2 smart button he had I was told he could never get working, now I know why, the tab to contact the battery was jammed up tight in the back and not making contact. I tried to straighten it out but it had such a sharp crease in tit that it broke so that was that. There were no V2 buttons left at my two local Lowes stores so SOL

Weren't the Iris buttons (both versions) made by Centralite ? They sure look similar.

Anyone know if they work with ST ?

https://www.centralite.com/products/smart-button

https://www.centralite.com/downloads/Product_Catalog_US_2016.pdf

centralite smart button.png

I bought one of those and it had the same problem.  It broke just as yours did, I got it so it would make contact and used it for a month or so.  One day my wife called and said it quit working and she changed the battery and still would not work.  When I got home I checked it and the tab was gone, I found it on the floor and got it working again.  I then decided I paid too much to have to fix it for them so I returned it and got another, it had the same problem, I took it back for a refund and never bought another.

Was trying to set up an Alexa announcement when a Aeron Smart Button connected to SmartThings is pushed, but it seems that Alexa only recognizes contact and motion sensors and not buttons, UNLESS its an Alexa button.

Also, is it possible to play royalty free sound bites or ringtones through an Alexa device (Echo, Show, Dot, etc.) if you have those files stored in the cloud somewhere?

5 hours ago, sparc said:

Was trying to set up an Alexa announcement when a Aeron Smart Button connected to SmartThings is pushed, but it seems that Alexa only recognizes contact and motion sensors and not buttons, UNLESS its an Alexa button.

Also, is it possible to play royalty free sound bites or ringtones through an Alexa device (Echo, Show, Dot, etc.) if you have those files stored in the cloud somewhere?

Not sure about the royalty free ringtones but on the Alexa Announcement create a virtual simulated Alexa switch. Build a rule to turn the switch on when the button is pressed and build the announcement routine to fire when the switch is turned on.  I would add a power allowance or some other means to turn the virtual switch back off so it's ready the next time around.

Not sure about creating a simulated Alexa switch, but you can create a simulated contact switch in ST and then have the simulated contact mirror the pushbuttton.   Webcore can do it simply enough.  I highly recommend webcore, I wrote a few small smartapps when I first started with ST just because I wanted to try my hand at the groovy language.  It was an interesting experiment but doing the same stuff in webcore is so much easier.