Door Chimes
3 3

35 posts in this topic

So it may seem minor, but one of the things that is important to us is being able to hear a chime when certain doors are opened.  

One thing good about Wink is that they have a chime that has like 8 different sounds.  That would be a neat upgrade over iris.  But I'm concerned about Wink's expand-ability.  And apparently Wink's security chops are weak.

Dome and Aeon Labs both have a device that is a combination multi-chime/siren that apparently will fit the bill, but requires a device handler on ST and on Vera only has one chime sound available.

Anyone have experience with the various platforms under discussion and how they do in this somewhat minor, but important to me, area?

I just fixed this on my end, had an idea and it worked.  I don't know about Google Home but on my Alexa device, I created a routine that when my mailbox contact opens, Alexa says "Mailbox Opened"  You can trigger it to play music, etc.  It seems to work.

d7923a6a668647cc6724d898eb057af1.jpg

8 minutes ago, scunny said:

Perfect. You just solved a long time request of mine. Thanks!

Sweet! 🤘😎🤘  Glad I could help.  It just came to me before dinner and figured I would look around in there since it is a speaker and I wanted something to make noise, haha.

Well, this puts a check next to SmartThings...I'm still trying to pick a system.  Hubitat was looking intriguing, I had originally considered SmartThings before I picked Iris.

So because my wife has hearing challenges, we used the chimes, even as quiet as they were.  Besides the chime when a door opened (or even a freezer door), I also had a rule where if a door was open longer than a certain amount of time, a notification would be sent, or if a certain time was exceeded and temp change occurred, a notification would be sent.  I had not had time to find a solution yet, but some type of visual indicator was future project too.

9 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

I just fixed this on my end, had an idea and it worked.  I don't know about Google Home but on my Alexa device, I created a routine that when my mailbox contact opens, Alexa says "Mailbox Opened"  You can trigger it to play music, etc.  It seems to work.

d7923a6a668647cc6724d898eb057af1.jpg

I didn't know that was possible with Alexa. Sounds like I can create a doorbell function using this same routine. When someone pushes the Doorbell button(V1 smart button), then Alexa can play a doorbell sound or some other sound through all the Echo Dots in the house. Only 6 weeks left but I will try to set this up today.

I don't think you'll find a V1 button as an available device.

Looks like they killed the skill on Amazon also. I don’t remember removing it, it’s gone, and I don’t see it to add it back. I was going to see if the buttons showed up as a device.

As I was moving stuff from Iris to Wink on Sunday and Monday, I updated devices in Alexa many times.  The Iris skill was still available in Alexa, but contact sensors in Iris or Wink are not available.  Neither are V1 or V2 smart buttons.

17 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

That's funny, we were just discussing this 2-3 hours prior on a thread in the SmartThing section.
Someone said they "missed their door beeps" on smartthings and I explained how this would work.
I had been hoping iris would update their alexa skill to allow alexa to see contact sensors. This has been do-able in SmartThings since last August. The good news is I don't have to wait for iris to update their skill now... 🤣

On ST you can also do this directly in the app with the speaker companion app and Sonos. It can trigger on any event and play anything including light saber sounds. 02ef35e24e606bb8fa7f9f4e71589466.jpg805537dd4119e365c675e6930a40edf5.jpg1e861e63113417a420b0c5249987855c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You can also do this directly in the app with the speaker companion app and Sonos. It can trigger on any event and play anything including light saber sounds. 02ef35e24e606bb8fa7f9f4e71589466.jpg805537dd4119e365c675e6930a40edf5.jpg1e861e63113417a420b0c5249987855c.jpg

Yeah, I was just looking at free and I already had an Echo

21 hours ago, scunny said:

I don't think you'll find a V1 button as an available device.

You are correct, they are not shown as an available device. Are the V2 buttons?

I have one but not currently using it. I could swap it out with the V1 button that functions
as our doorbell button.

Seems strange that V1 devices are not usable with Alexa. Alexa doesn't communicate directly with these devices it passes instructions to the Iris server that then get sent down to you hub. At least that's how I thought it worked. I don't have an Alexa hub or any other device that could communicate directly with Iris devices.

This is definitely something that I want in whatever system I move to.

I didn't know that was possible with Alexa. Sounds like I can create a doorbell function using this same routine. When someone pushes the Doorbell button(V1 smart button), then Alexa can play a doorbell sound or some other sound through all the Echo Dots in the house. Only 6 weeks left but I will try to set this up today.

I've also used Alexa on ST for some sound notifications, it works better than the speaker companion and Sonos IMO.

I've only got one V2 smart button and I can't get it to pair with the hub. I have 4 other buttons but they are V1 and apparently won't work with Alexa.

I wish I had know about this capability with Alexa sooner I would have bought another V2 button or tried to get the one I have working.