Pairing Iris V2 smart plug with Smart things.

32 posts in this topic

Has anyone had luck pairing the V2 smart plug with Smart Things?  I've been trying to get this to work for well over an hour now, both on the classic, and new apps. :(   The smart plug does not get detected, and when it does, it only shows up as a Z Wave repeater.   I've added the device handler into the IDE, saved and published it.  Also tried assigning that handler to the Z wave repeater that it pairs as, it doesn't function.   Thinking there was something wrong with the plug, I tried pairing it back to Iris.  Paired in less than 5 seconds.   This is the only device I've tried so far, other than a first alert smoke detector, which paired fine.    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  This is frustrating.   Are all devices this much of a PITA to pair, or is it just because it's an Iris branded product? 

My intention is to pair it as a switch to control devices plugged into it.  not really interested in the Zwave repeating function, but that's all the smartthings hub is able to pick up. 

Out of curiosity, I just unpaired two GE wall switches then attempted to pair them to Smart Things.   Both plugs are added, AND configured in less than 5 minutes.   Something's definitely up with adding the V2 Iris Smart Plug to the V3 Smart Things hub it seems like.  :(

That’s weird.  I moved over 6 from Iris with no problems.  I’m pretty sure I just removed the smart plugs from within the Iris app (which reset them and caused them to start blinking) and then they all added right away as a “thing”.  Then I just logged into the IDE and changed to the standard smart power outlet device handler.

I do know the iris smart plugs are now listed in the new smartthings app as a supported device under the outlets.  Maybe support would be able to help?

Yes it works fine. As soon as I heard the news, I got on eBay, and I bought all V2 stuff, as it's compatible with many different systems. So if I didn't like SmartThings, I just switch to a different hub. I think right now I have 9 V2 smart plugs, and 11 V2 contact sensor connected to Smart Things. All connected no problems. I just went to add a device, and went under manual, typed in Iris, selected Smart Plug, followed the directions. I gave up on the New app pretty early, and am strictly using the classic app. No IDE or anything needed.

Weird.  I follow those steps on manually adding and there is NOT any option for the Iris smart plug in there.  Nothing under Outlets, or Switches for Iris.   I wonder if the Centralite option would work since it's very similar.  hmm. 

Out of curiosity, I just unpaired two GE wall switches then attempted to pair them to Smart Things.   Both plugs are added, AND configured in less than 5 minutes.   Something's definitely up with adding the V2 Iris Smart Plug to the V3 Smart Things hub it seems like. 

I didn’t have any issues pairing my 35+ ones with ST V3. No device handler is needed and they natively pair just fine. I didn’t bother with the zwave repeater since I read those are flakey anyways. Are you resetting the plug as suggested? Mine I removed from Iris one at a time and they paired up instantly with ST’s without reset.

Same issue with my Iris branded water leak detector.  It is refusing to pair with the Smart Things hub.   I have 9 other devices successfully paired, just anything branded Iris will not work for some reason.  🤬

52 minutes ago, Dan87 said:

Weird.  I follow those steps on manually adding and there is NOT any option for the Iris smart plug in there.  Nothing under Outlets, or Switches for Iris.   I wonder if the Centralite option would work since it's very similar.  hmm. 

I'm sorry I told you wrong, I just double checked. I added everything in the new app. I did all the automations in the old app. Once everything was added, I've strictly been using the old app.

Here is the screen shot from the new app, add devices (taken just now):

smartthings1.jpg

I appreciate all of the ideas/advice guys.   I attempted adding the same way in the new app, it never discovers the plug.  It's within 1 ft of the Smart Things hub also.   If I try to repair with Iris, it takes it no problem.   To Clarify, the method I'm trying while pairing the device is:

Clicking add device in the Smart Things app. 

Clicking on add device manually. 

Searching for Iris. 

Select add Smart Plug. 

Get a warning "secure join isn't supported on this hub or device.   Do you want to Continue anyway? 

Click continue. 

Hold down the button on smart plug while plugging in. 

When blue LED turns on, I let go of the button.  The app then says "plug in device."

It will eventually time out to the page "This is taking longer than expected to find devices."  

About 10% of the time, it'll actually find a device, but it's always a Z Wave repeater as screen shotted here. 

Screenshot_20190213-180533_SmartThings.jpg

1 hour ago, Dan87 said:

I appreciate all of the ideas/advice guys.   I attempted adding the same way in the new app, it never discovers the plug.  It's within 1 ft of the Smart Things hub also.   If I try to repair with Iris, it takes it no problem.   To Clarify, the method I'm trying while pairing the device is:

Clicking add device in the Smart Things app. 

Clicking on add device manually. 

Searching for Iris. 

Select add Smart Plug. 

Get a warning "secure join isn't supported on this hub or device.   Do you want to Continue anyway? 

Click continue. 

Hold down the button on smart plug while plugging in. 

When blue LED turns on, I let go of the button.  The app then says "plug in device."

It will eventually time out to the page "This is taking longer than expected to find devices."  

About 10% of the time, it'll actually find a device, but it's always a Z Wave repeater as screen shotted here. 

Screenshot_20190213-180533_SmartThings.jpg

Strange, my leak detectors paired right up also.  Were you in the IDE messing around and accidentally turned your zigbee radio off?  Also you don't have to manually pair any device, all my stuff was paired automatically, not manual.

You may be on to something.  Can one of you check your IDE and see if you have anything displayed on the ZigBee column?  I imagine that this should not be blank... 

HubScreenShot.thumb.PNG.ad0a0d2d3602f58c3fe1a7a4dbb20a7c.PNG

d410d3d80af15e08225dde35d027763a.jpg

Looks like your zigbee is missing.

Your ip and Mac is also missing unless you cleared it.

I should be ashamed of myself.    I work in IT.    What is the first thing you suggest when something on a computer isn't working correctly?  

My Iris V2 smart Plug paired immediately following a reboot to my HUB.  🤦‍♂️   Gotta be kidding.  !   

All the blank fields are now populated after the reboot.   Sigh.   I apologize for wasting your guys' time, I am grateful for all of your help.  Such an amateur problem.    If all else fails, REBOOT.  

All the blank fields are now populated after the reboot.   Sigh.   I apologize for wasting your guys' time, I am grateful for all of your help.  Such an amateur problem.    If all else fails, REBOOT.  

Haha I work in IT also (Dish). Odd you had to reboot it but glad you got it fixed. Enjoy everything working now

3 minutes ago, accessdenied79 said:

Haha I work in IT also (Dish).

Hmmm.... Maybe you could tell me what could cause a slight pixelation on my TV connected to a Dish Hopper?  This doesn't happen all the time and I don't believe it's a signal loss issue.  My dish antenna is clear and I'm using a quality HDMI cable to connect the Hopper to the TV.

Hmmm.... Maybe you could tell me what could cause a slight pixelation on my TV connected to a Dish Hopper?  This doesn't happen all the time and I don't believe it's a signal loss issue.  My dish antenna is clear and I'm using a quality HDMI cable to connect the Hopper to the TV.

I would love to if I knew, lol. I actually work in a service center and keep the server rooms and networking equipment operational. I will ask one of the guys in our QA department tomorrow and see if he has any ideas. Try this, when it does it, skip back with the remote and see if it still does it in the same spot on the delayed feed.

That was a good idea that accessdenied79 had. Also, even if your dish view is clear, the pointing could be off. I don’t have dish, but you might want to Google to see if the receiver can tell you a signal strength and see online if that number looks “good”.