Smart plugs that work across most platforms?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick a hub platform to switch to, to the point I need to distract myself with a simple problem.  Hubitat and Vera are still being looked at, the Vera forums are not as generally positive as the Hubitat forums, but I need a system that can do basic security, alerts to phones, and some basic automation at first (lights on at times, switches activated at temps).

So, I am losing 5 items controlled by WiFi plugs when Iris shuts down, the rest are Iris v2 smart plugs.  Is there a smart plug that is generally operational across most platforms, besides the Iris plugs? 🙄  Maybe I can go ahead and get those in advance, and solve that problem.

22 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick a hub platform to switch to, to the point I need to distract myself with a simple problem.  Hubitat and Vera are still being looked at, the Vera forums are not as generally positive as the Hubitat forums, but I need a system that can do basic security, alerts to phones, and some basic automation at first (lights on at times, switches activated at temps).

So, I am losing 5 items controlled by WiFi plugs when Iris shuts down, the rest are Iris v2 smart plugs.  Is there a smart plug that is generally operational across most platforms, besides the Iris plugs? 🙄  Maybe I can go ahead and get those in advance, and solve that problem.

Well, this is not looking good.  To clarify, NOT looking for WiFi plugs (unless there is a magical brand that does working with 98% of hubs), looking for Zigbee/Z-Wave smart plugs to go ahead and get on the way to be ready for whatever hub I migrate too.  I admit my error in buying the Iris WiFi plugs to save money and expand the system.

You might look at the Centralite 3200-C (link) it is very similar to the Iris plug. It works with Smart Things and from what I googled Wink, I couldn't find anything on Vera or Hubitat.

Makes me glad I quickly pulled the trigger and picked up a bunch of V2 Iris stuff on eBay before it disappeared. However to expand, I also like to find something else, so I don't get trapped into one system again.

18 hours ago, ryat2016 said:

Ok, I need to find these Vera forums as I was thinking about that. I don't care that my IRIS stuff works or won't work there. I suspect my Utiletech water sensors will (Zwave).

It seems that the V2 Iris plugs and sensors work with several platforms, to a degree.  But since those are disappearing, what else can I buy now, to have ready to replace the WiFi plugs that will end up costing me more than I saved by buying them instead of the standard smart plugs.

Vera Forums

15 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

You might look at the Centralite 3200-C (link) it is very similar to the Iris plug. It works with Smart Things and from what I googled Wink, I couldn't find anything on Vera or Hubitat.

Makes me glad I quickly pulled the trigger and picked up a bunch of V2 Iris stuff on eBay before it disappeared. However to expand, I also like to find something else, so I don't get trapped into one system again.

Thanks, believe they made the Iris products, or at least some of them? 

Looks like it can work with Hubitat.....

Hubitat Compatibility

You can find the Iris WiFi outlets by the dozen on eBay now.

Does anyone have a recommended outdoor smartplug that works with Hubitat/SmartThings?  I did not get to fully setup all I needed with Iris, so thinking ahead for whatever I migrate to.

I'm still hoping someone will be determined enough to try Vera, and let us know how the v2 Iris products transition.

You can find the Iris WiFi outlets by the dozen on eBay now.
Does anyone have a recommended outdoor smartplug that works with Hubitat/SmartThings?  I did not get to fully setup all I needed with Iris, so thinking ahead for whatever I migrate to.
I'm still hoping someone will be determined enough to try Vera, and let us know how the v2 Iris products transition.
GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Outdoor Smart Plug Switch, 1 On/Off Outlet, Weather-Resistant, Built-in Repeater/Range Extender, Zwave Hub Required, Works with SmartThings, Wink, Alexa, 14284, BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9NWFM3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_soFBCbM78XPKY

Iris Who?

13 hours ago, dusterp said:

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Outdoor Smart Plug Switch, 1 On/Off Outlet, Weather-Resistant, Built-in Repeater/Range Extender, Zwave Hub Required, Works with SmartThings, Wink, Alexa, 14284, BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9NWFM3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_soFBCbM78XPKY

Iris Who?

That looks like a good option.  Sadly, I think my local Lowes carries those.....where Iris used to be.  Guess I can go by and pay my respects.