Alarms and SHM
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share some screen shots of when a security alert is triggered. You can mute the alarm and disarm it. In this case I disarmed with a hidden button being held down. Received instant text and app notifications. Lights came on RED at 100% and activated the utilitech siren I had on Iris.

9eda6866081a7bd9ce0282e58450001c.jpgb3cb453118b3d1f73d6369fd81cdf84f.jpge1ef4190b8af0f8d6c01a23f9713088d.jpge30ba533f1b784a29d8d7ee8ccc43c70.jpg8d3f2cc22cdb85cf009c75255a0e2fac.jpgc214d759375c4713a131194f4e471b15.jpgc36f26eaf1e02dbb5d7974ca8cdba2b2.jpg

Iris Who?

Thanks for posting, this info helps.  The lack of info from Vera has me comparing SmartThings and Hubitat more and more.  I can manage dealing with a system from my phone (that was how I used Iris) and the wife was used to phone notices, but arm/disarm was from keypad or fob for her.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, Dredwolf said:

Thanks for posting, this info helps.  The lack of info from Vera has me comparing SmartThings and Hubitat more and more.  I can manage dealing with a system from my phone (that was how I used Iris) and the wife was used to phone notices, but arm/disarm was from keypad or fob for her.

If it helps any my only disappointment switching to SmartThings from Iris is that ST doesn't have the ability natively to call on intrusion alerts, just push/text.  But then I've only had it since the weekend they sent out the notice that Iris was dying so my experience is limited.  I've already had two window sensors randomly go missing and have to be repaired so if that behavior continues I might have a different view of it in a couple of months, but other than that for now I'm very happy.

I've had very good luck with both ST and Iris staying connected to their devices in the last 1.5 years since I first got my ST system.  I have had to airgap/repair one switch a few times but other than that they both have been solid except the few times their service had issues.  As far as calling capability I agree that would be great and was one of the reasons I stayed with Iris to the end however I have had IFTTT setup to call me when a virutal switch is turned on (that virtual switch is turned on when the SHM triggers an alarm)

If it helps any my only disappointment switching to SmartThings from Iris is that ST doesn't have the ability natively to call on intrusion alerts, just push/text.  But then I've only had it since the weekend they sent out the notice that Iris was dying so my experience is limited.  I've already had two window sensors randomly go missing and have to be repaired so if that behavior continues I might have a different view of it in a couple of months, but other than that for now I'm very happy.
Quick IFTTT rule fixes that and will call you as others have mentioned. It will pipe in the text notification so you know what triggered it. Example attached. 3973c207483e9c160a8099d41a6edf4c.jpg

Iris Who?

4 hours ago, dusterp said:

Quick IFTTT rule fixes that and will call you as others have mentioned. It will pipe in the text notification so you know what triggered it. Example attached. 3973c207483e9c160a8099d41a6edf4c.jpg

Iris Who?

TXS for posting, I knew I saw this somewhere. Is there a monthly fee for this service? I seem to remember it being like $2-3/mo. If so that is well worth it to me. I prefer to self monitor and my phone is muted so i need a persistent vibration to get my attention. Also does it always use the same number?

TXS for posting, I knew I saw this somewhere. Is there a monthly fee for this service? I seem to remember it being like $2-3/mo. If so that is well worth it to me. I prefer to self monitor and my phone is muted so i need a persistent vibration to get my attention. Also does it always use the same number?
Free but it's delayed up to one hour. If your alarm goes off it does keep texting or notifying every hour.

Iris Who?

4 hours ago, dusterp said:

Free but it's delayed up to one hour. If your alarm goes off it does keep texting or notifying every hour.

Iris Who?

What response times are you seeing inside that 60 minute window?

Do they average less than 5 minutes say, or less than 15 minutes?

Of course the time will vary for everyone depending on where they are but in general I'm curious what the response time is.

Maybe the point I moot since you'll have a push notification almost immediately but still nice to know.

20 hours ago, dusterp said:

Last one was 35min. I just put a custom ringtone on the text notification I can't miss, like the barking dogs from ring.

Iris Who?

Custom ringtones, I used to have those before Samsung screwed up my Note 8. They promised they were going to bring them back but it's been close to a year now and nothing so  I stopped holding my breath cause I was turning a really dark shade of blue and it wasn't making a difference. :-)

Custom notifications was one of the features that I wanted when I bought that phone. Then to lose it 6 months later was so nice of them I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate that bozo move on their part. And the best part is they didn't intend to remove that functionality, at least that's what I was told by a Samsung tech.

And of course there is no going back (not easily anyway) once you install one of those so called upgrades so you are hosed.