My .02
2 2

10 posts in this topic

After having been an Iris user for 6 years, a beta tester for v2 (yikes), 75+ devices, 2 locations, and all of that jazz... I have completed my transition to SmartThings and can say without a doubt that SmartThings is superior.

The flexibility to add devices not officially supported is not only easy but works incredibly well.  While some minor technical ability may be necessary, if you can follow step by step directions you can install custom SmartApps and Device Type Handlers.

I'm so happy to have gotten my Home Energy Monitor back!

Not only that, but SmartApps such as BigTalker and Virtual Thermostat, Geofencing options, and the ability to change light colors and percentages for scenes are all amazing upgrades over the Iris platform.  Security is at least on par if not enhanced by some of the things you can customize.

I will miss Iris because it met my family's needs so well, but am happy to be on to SmartThings.  I'm happy to help with any questions on this new platform!

I too figured that since IRIS recommended SmartThings, I would go along. I am so disappointed with Lowes for doing this.

My situation is that I have a rental on Airbnb. IRIS was great in that I could change the codes on my programmable Schlage door locks with the IRIS app. I have paired my first lock successfilly. However, in the SmartThings app, there is no way I could find to change, nor add, the lock codes. Am I missing something?

Another disappointment with SmartThings is that I have to physically take the hub to within 10 feet of the device in order to add anything. If this thing is supposed to communicate with everything in the houses from one central location, why do I have to take it to within 10 feet to pair? Seems a bit ridiculous.

Yes your missing something.......I also have a house in Arizona on HomeAway and luckily we had already planned a trip when this all happened and I was able to change everything but door sensors and camera over to SmartThings. You need the classic app to do it.....83659E4D-E077-442B-A2D5-037159F43344.thumb.png.42fbbe45f57194442a2b07c20039c30c.pngB70BF6C7-3D78-4F45-8CE4-6992769FCC97.thumb.png.24bdb20c9af5773f5b8b55c85f012d4e.png83659E4D-E077-442B-A2D5-037159F43344.thumb.png.42fbbe45f57194442a2b07c20039c30c.png

19 hours ago, dmg4usc said:

I too figured that since IRIS recommended SmartThings, I would go along. I am so disappointed with Lowes for doing this.

My situation is that I have a rental on Airbnb. IRIS was great in that I could change the codes on my programmable Schlage door locks with the IRIS app. I have paired my first lock successfilly. However, in the SmartThings app, there is no way I could find to change, nor add, the lock codes. Am I missing something?

Another disappointment with SmartThings is that I have to physically take the hub to within 10 feet of the device in order to add anything. If this thing is supposed to communicate with everything in the houses from one central location, why do I have to take it to within 10 feet to pair? Seems a bit ridiculous.

If you are running an airbnb, seriously consider looking into the rboy commercial and rental license package.
They have a really cool "rental lock automator" that is designed specifically for this purpose.

I've been able to pair devices to my smartthings hub from nearly anywhere in my house.  Iris definitely could not do that!   In fact, I paired all of my smoke detectors without moving them at all, or the hub!