Iris CAMs working on ST
4 4

77 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, DogDazeII said:

Ah, I assumed all that was gonna go away the end of the month and I wasn't going to be able to get everything setup before then anyway..  I still have several I can try to get into with the Iris Login and see..   assume that I can set a static IP address that will maintain once Iris shuts down then?

If there is a benefit to doing this, I can easily repair them back again....   to what, shut them off to retain these settings so I can get back into them later then?  (like after Iris is gone?)

Yes, you can pair them to Iris and use the local login information provided by Iris and use them that way after Iris shuts down.  Just turn off the hub.  If you ever reset them you just use the api and instructions found on this forum to set them up.  

7 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

Yes, you can pair them to Iris and use the local login information provided by Iris and use them that way after Iris shuts down.  Just turn off the hub.  If you ever reset them you just use the api and instructions found on this forum to set them up.  

Ah, so best just to leave them all connected till the night before Iris Shuts down...  and then turn off the hub..   or leave them paired up..  just power the cams down maybe egh??  That way they will retain the information they were last configured with..  which I have well documented already..     Thanks for the tips on it..   :)

Thank you..  

btw, I put the TinyCam app on my Android phone tonight.. it's (currently) the free version till I see how it works out..  after the shutdown..  but it's a cool little app..

I'm not quite sure yet how to make it work with a secure connection..  (if at all) but it seems to handle all my Cam's pretty well.. (still just WiFi for now)

I'll have to review the post to see if anyone has posted settings that work best w/these cams..  that being the tiny cam setting options

Setup an OpenVPN app connection to your router for a secure connection, that way you can leave the ips as internal only and don't need to open any ports on the router.  That is if your router can host an open VPN server (Asus makes it pretty easy)

Has anyone successfully port forwarded the Iris Version 1 cameras yet and had a positive outcome streaming non-locally?

As of now, I can take snapshots both locally and non-locally...but can only stream locally (this seems to work sporadically-any tips on making this work every time would be appreciated).

If someone has successfully streamed non-locally...how did you set up the port forwarding? For example, right now all 7 of my cameras are set up with RTSP port as 554 and Camera port as 80 as shown in the example and assigned by the device handler...but should all cameras be using these identical numbers? Other cameras I have port forwarded (Foscam) are each assigned different ports. If different numbers are necessary, what numbers should they be as ANY change from 80 results in no snapshots and any change to RTSP from 554 results in no local streaming? And nothing results in non-local streaming by attempting to connect to the http://xx.xxx.xx.xx:port...it simply says connection refused or similar language making me think RC8221 can not be port-forwarded. Have not yet tried with OC821.

Also, has anyone been able to use the motion detection on these cameras to trigger anything with Smartthings? I have had no luck with either Smartthings app.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by M2015

Okay I tried this before Iris died, and no joy. The devices would join, then I would move them to where they would have the final install and they wouldn't show up....

Now with Iris gone, how would I go about configuring these? I'd like to get use back out of my OC821s while they still have some life left in them.

3 minutes ago, BigHoss said:

Okay I tried this before Iris died, and no joy. The devices would join, then I would move them to where they would have the final install and they wouldn't show up....

Now with Iris gone, how would I go about configuring these? I'd like to get use back out of my OC821s while they still have some life left in them.

There is a step by step guide here;  It only takes a few minutes to set them up.

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/2633-how-to-take-total-control-of-your-iris-cameras-with-the-api/?do=findComment&comment=21135

6 minutes ago, BigHoss said:

Without Iris, how would i go about getting the IP of the cameras is the bigger question...

Just look in your router.  Each camera has a mac address which is printed on a sticker on the camera and your router will have assigned an IP address for it.  Set up static IP's for each of the cameras on your network so that you always know exactly where they are.  It's pretty basic stuff.  

Just look in your router.  Each camera has a mac address which is printed on a sticker on the camera and your router will have assigned an IP address for it.  Set up static IP's for each of the cameras on your network so that you always know exactly where they are.  It's pretty basic stuff.  

Pretty basic after the coffee kicks in. Sorry, I am running on less than 4 hrs sleep last night. Brain not fully in gear today.

Maybe reconfiguring the system_auth on that production server might have to wait until tomorrow.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to brew some rocket fuel.

3 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

There is an APP named Fling..  it's a free APP..    I have it on my Android..    you can see all the devices on your WiFi in a few seconds..   you'll see both the MAC address and the IP together..    Kinda slick..  and easier than looking for that config in the router (IMO)

I shut down a few extra cams late Saturday before I deleted all my video on the Iris Cloud, and then pulled my hub, deleted my account etc..   and then yesterday, I realized I forgot to turn the IR back on, one of my outdoor cams.   (it would have taken just a few seconds to do that before I terminated all my Iris stuff..      I tried logging into another camera from a web browser to see if I could, but it wouldn't accept my what was my Iris User Name and Password..   I'm not quite certain as to why not..  but didn't mess with it..      

I still have 10 Iris Cams up and running with TinyCam...  but still having issues getting port forwarding setup on my AT&T Arris Router..   NVG599..     I talked to AT&T last night via chat and they say they can see I have opened the ports, but I can't see that they are open with various tools (canyouseeme and another I found)  Both tools are showing the ports I setup are not open..    (I assume something else needs to be opened up yet)   AT&T was supposed to elevate to a higher level of support and they are supposed to call me later tonight..  (I'll believe that when they call me)

3 minutes ago, DogDazeII said:

There is an APP named Fling..  it's a free APP..    I have it on my Android..    you can see all the devices on your WiFi in a few seconds..   you'll see both the MAC address and the IP together..    Kinda slick..  and easier than looking for that config in the router (IMO)

I shut down a few extra cams late Saturday before I deleted all my video on the Iris Cloud, and then pulled my hub, deleted my account etc..   and then yesterday, I realized I forgot to turn the IR back on, one of my outdoor cams.   (it would have taken just a few seconds to do that before I terminated all my Iris stuff..      I tried logging into another camera from a web browser to see if I could, but it wouldn't accept my what was my Iris User Name and Password..   I'm not quite certain as to why not..  but didn't mess with it..      

I still have 10 Iris Cams up and running with TinyCam...  but still having issues getting port forwarding setup on my AT&T Arris Router..   NVG599..     I talked to AT&T last night via chat and they say they can see I have opened the ports, but I can't see that they are open with various tools (canyouseeme and another I found)  Both tools are showing the ports I setup are not open..    (I assume something else needs to be opened up yet)   AT&T was supposed to elevate to a higher level of support and they are supposed to call me later tonight..  (I'll believe that when they call me)

What port do the cams operate on? I may have to poke some holes in my local firewall rules.

FWIW, getting the MAC address / IP address map isn't too tough with my router. I am running DD-WRT so viewing what is on wired or wireless ethernet is fairly easy, once you know the MAC address.

I am hopeful, but not 100% sure I can get my functions wanted enabled. 

#1. Get motion notifications.

#2. Record video into SmartThings. Doesn't have to stay eternally, but 7 day file retention and ability to download would be about ideal.

#3. On the cameras used indoors, I would like to be able to utilize the motion sensors in the cameras for SmartThings functions such as turning on smart light switches.

16 minutes ago, BigHoss said:

What port do the cams operate on? I may have to poke some holes in my local firewall rules.

FWIW, getting the MAC address / IP address map isn't too tough with my router. I am running DD-WRT so viewing what is on wired or wireless ethernet is fairly easy, once you know the MAC address.

I am hopeful, but not 100% sure I can get my functions wanted enabled. 

#1. Get motion notifications.

#2. Record video into SmartThings. Doesn't have to stay eternally, but 7 day file retention and ability to download would be about ideal.

#3. On the cameras used indoors, I would like to be able to utilize the motion sensors in the cameras for SmartThings functions such as turning on smart light switches.

I'm looking for the same functionality with the cams..  I was hopeful I could still use the motion sensors to still trigger other devices in ST.

Tho, I believe any motion triggers for recordings would more easily be done with TinyCam Pro.    I installed that APP..  scanned the network and it found all my CAMS in a few seconds..  I just had to play with the settings..    there are 2 Camera Ports needed:   the Web Port..   443 (Default is 80) and the RTSP Port 554  (Default is 554)

I had no problem setting that up in TinyCam while on WiFi...    the more advanced settings for the Port Forwarding are on the second page for each Cam..   Default Ports needed for Port Forwarding are the same as above...   but I believe you and specify what ports you setup for Port Forwarding on your Router..     I picked something higher..  like 2000 and 2001..  (just experimental) but can't get that to work yet..   (I figured best not to use the defaults on the Port Forwarding, but maybe that's my problem)   As far as I understand it, I believe you need 2 Ports Open for each cam..    but ultimately, maybe just 2 ports in general once it's setup...

In SmartThings, I setup just 1 Device Handler for all my cams..    that seems to work just fine as well, but the Cams load much quicker in TinyCam.

This is as good as place as any to ask the following question. I have the camera reset and using my own username and password and I have port fowarding enabled on router using a static ip address for camera for when I am away. My problem is that  I have to put in actual local home ip address  (with port forwarding) when I am at home to see camera and that works, when I use the no-ip dynamic address (that tracks my home ip) with port forwarding when I am away it works too, but I can't use the dynamic address with port forwarding at home as it doesn't work from home. This means I have to have two camera settings setup? Is there a solution to this? Basically the only difference is I put the camera local IP address in or the dynamic web address in, all else is the same, even the port fowarding. 

40 minutes ago, IrisWhat? said:

This is as good as place as any to ask the following question. I have the camera reset and using my own username and password and I have port fowarding enabled on router using a static ip address for camera for when I am away. My problem is that  I have to put in actual local home ip address  (with port forwarding) when I am at home to see camera and that works, when I use the no-ip dynamic address (that tracks my home ip) with port forwarding when I am away it works too, but I can't use the dynamic address with port forwarding at home as it doesn't work from home. This means I have to have two camera settings setup? Is there a solution to this? Basically the only difference is I put the camera local IP address in or the dynamic web address in, all else is the same, even the port fowarding. 

The ideal solution is to use OpenVPN and do not port forward at all.  You can also buy Blue Iris and set up its server software and log in with that.  If you must port forward you will need to forward a different port for each camera.  Just pick a high port number such as 5001, 5002, etc. for each camera.  So in this example yourno-ipddnsname:5001 would forward to yourcameraipadress:554.  554 being the video port of the camera.

Yeah, I've been port forwarding some cameras for a long time now but I have a comcast router now and I have to have two instances of the cameras setup. I used to have a dd wrt and I don't think I had to do that but I didn't do anything special. FYI while I know how to do some of this,  I truly am not an expert so I didn't know if there was a way to handle this or not. I know just enough to get myself hacked :). Let me research OpenVPN.

4 hours ago, IrisWhat? said:

Yeah, I've been port forwarding some cameras for a long time now but I have a comcast router now and I have to have two instances of the cameras setup. I used to have a dd wrt and I don't think I had to do that but I didn't do anything special. FYI while I know how to do some of this,  I truly am not an expert so I didn't know if there was a way to handle this or not. I know just enough to get myself hacked :). Let me research OpenVPN.

If you are using a comcast provided router, I doubt that you can set up openVPN.  I am certain you can port forward to with it.  Your best solution would be Blue Iris.  You won't be sorry, it is great software.  

I lost the camera resolution on one of my cams..  while I obviously know the user name and password, I'm unable to log into the camera via the web interface to reset the resolution to where I thought it was before taking my Iris Hub down. 

In order to factory reset it, I'm gonna have to get a ladder and take it down to try to factory reset it..   so far, I've been reluctant to touch it..  for fear of making things worse with the reset attempt, not to mention the additional time and effort to mess with it.

I don't really understand why I can access the cam since I obviously know the user name and password.  

On 3/21/2019 at 2:24 PM, Otto Mation said:

@Otto Mation

Okay...  so I end up getting the Blue Iris setup and working on a older (for now) Win7 pc..    It's pretty AWESOME software and was easy to setup too..   I was able to get the port opened on my ATT Router.. (works for BI, still not yet for TinyCam)  so, life was good..     except for one of my Lowe's gen1 outdoor cams.. somehow lost it's higher resolution and defaulted back to the lower res..

Knowing that I can't log into it using the Iris Cam credentials to try to change it, (not to mention, have to get the ladder out and take it down) I've opted to just let it ride for now..    that was until yesterday when the camera dropped off my wireless..    (sounds like some other posts I've seen here or on your other link)  After several reboots, it was still offline..

So, I end up getting the ladder and bring it inside..  plug it into my ethernet and it works fine..   just not on wireless....   so, I opted to try the manual reset option.  per your directions..  it took me a while, but I was able to get it..  mostly working with one big problem..    I can't seem to get the credentials right to get it back on my wireless network.     I picked 2...   just as you suggest..   as I thought that was correct..   I know my WiFi password..  it's only 12 characters tho..  (and yes, a few are special characters)

So, when it popped something about a WPA ascii password must be between 8 and 63 characters..  (tho, I was at 12 and it didn't like it) It dawned on me that I may need to enter my password in the form of ascii.. so, I tried that too..    while it seemed to like that..   I still was not able to join the wireless..   I checked my wireless settings..  but that passcode at the bottom is not what I expected to see..   I tried setting it, unplugging the ethernet cable.  and rebooting it..   but still not able to connect..

I believe I saw at least one other who said he had troubles getting it on his wireless..    My 12 character password has always worked before with all my other devices..  (including these same cams)   I question as to if it's my setup..   or if maybe the wireless died in this cam..  (which was my initial problem before taking it down) tho, I think odd..

In my research efforts, I did stumble across this document..   (possibly already shared?)   It might prove helpful to others..  seems like a LOT of good documentation...    when I checked the wireless signal, it showed 0 (zero)  but I'd have to assume that was because I was not able to connect?    (or does that mean that it died?)

https://github.com/edent/Sercomm-API/blob/master/README.md

I wonder if there is a way to change these camera settings from a program like or similar to Blue Iris?    I have the one other Iris (gen1 outdoor) cam that I forgot to turn the IR back on.  I was hopeful that I might be able to do it via a software client that is already connected....  since I can't do it via a webpage since I'm not able to log in with my Iris user name and password without doing a reset on the cam..   (and then I worry as to if I can get it back on wireless)

does anyone have any tips or clues as to what I might be missing? 

Thanks in Advance

Did you tell it what security profile to use.  I would assume that it is WPA/WPA2-PSK so you would need to enter this into the camera:  

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS&wlan_security=2

Hi Otto Mation,

Thank you for your note, Yes.. that's exactly where I set it the first time..    I tried most all the options in that area.  came back to security=2.. 

I was able to confirm that when I came back to look at the wireless settings..  but still a no go for me last night..  I don't know why the error or message when I tried to set the password..   and that confused me.    Not sure that it was an error, or just information.  But it didn't seem to work either way.

2 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

Run these two commands and send me the output in a PM.

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/get_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/get_group.cgi?group=NETWORK

Hey Otto Mation,

I can and will do that..  but can't until we get home later tonight..  I did run them both last night..  but can't remember exactly what the details were..   I think my Network Piece looked OK.  I had some question on the Wireless Piece was supposed to look like.  Thank you for your continued help with it..  -joe

On 4/1/2019 at 1:26 PM, DogDazeII said:

I'm looking for the same functionality with the cams..  I was hopeful I could still use the motion sensors to still trigger other devices in ST.

Hi,

If you are able to get into the camera's admin, you can make it call an http URL when it senses motion (it will also record a 10 second video onto the sd card). Read this post on Hubitat forum (https://community.hubitat.com/t/iris-v1-camera/12987/20) Look for the part after "Finally back to the camera." I believe ST can use an incoming http GET as a trigger the same way Hubitat does..