Using the energysmart water heater controller without iris

8 posts in this topic

I found some interesting info on reddit. Looks like the water heater controller actually sends data to website that appears to be hosted by AO Smith... If you can hijack the credentials you can sign in and see the info your controller is sending to ao smith, which includes things like the hot water volume, set point, mode, and some diagnostic information. It would be great if someone more skilled than me could figure out a way to scrape the data from this page and integrate it with something like smartthings so we could at least get alerts and such... (I like being able to bang on the bathroom door and tell my daughter she is about to run out of hot water for her shower... haha) It looks like you would have to work out something with AO Smith in order to allow manipulating the settings, but the data might be easy to skim for simple informational purposes.

@Smitho You sure that isn't going right back into the same situation? Those instructions require Sears / Kenmore two companies that are in the process of going under as well. Sears never did find a buyer for Kenmore that I know of. Heck I still avoid Craftsman at this point even.

17 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

@Smitho You sure that isn't going right back into the same situation? Those instructions require Sears / Kenmore two companies that are in the process of going under as well. Sears never did find a buyer for Kenmore that I know of. Heck I still avoid Craftsman at this point even.

Well... for about $14 I should be able to extend the "smart portion" of my water heater for some unknown amount of time. To me, it's worth the gamble... Lowes gave me $40 for my water heater controller, and it appears this is the only real option I have.
I ordered a kenmore controller... I figure it's at least worth a shot. If they discontinue use of the kenmore app in the future, I'm simply back to where I started (my smart water heater becomes a dumb water heater) but I'm still $26 to the good... 🤣

Update: This didn't seem to work out for me the way it did for the other guy.
I can't seem to enable grid mode on the water heater after switching to the kenmore controller. The little icon never appears on the screen like it does with the iris controller.
I almost wonder if I could plug in the iris controller, enable grid view, and then swap controllers, but I'm afraid to try plugging and unplugging this while the water heater is powered up.

There are only a couple of actual water heater manufacturers... almost all water heaters are the same rebranded units.
I'm thinking there may be some differences in the firmwares that are keeping them from communicating.
I'm almost wondering if I could replace the control panel from one out of a kenmore water heater (they look identical) and it work... I believe everything else is just thermostats and elements... all the brains are in that control panel and the wifi module. But at this point I don't think I want to spend much more time or money on something that could have the plug pulled on it just like iris did.