New Gear Thanks to Iris
3 3

30 posts in this topic

Not a fan of the Arlo cams. They are going back. Didn't show up in ST when I added the Arlo connect app. Also they have a lot of paid add ons if you want it to do what you want. Free seven days is not what I thought it would be. Kept getting a ton of Geo fence notices that was flipping the alarm off and on. Going to give Ring a try. I love my ring doorbells so hopefully the other Ring cams are the same. I could probably get the Arlo's to work since I got the Iris cams to work but looking for more of an out of the box cam system for what you pay.

Iris Who?

Thanks for the feedback on the Arlo solution, I'll move it down on the list.  Don't have my card yet, but I want to spend on what works.  And thanks in advance to all of you taking those first steps and keeping the rest of us informed.

8 hours ago, dusterp said:

Not a fan of the Arlo cams. They are going back. Didn't show up in ST when I added the Arlo connect app. Also they have a lot of paid add ons if you want it to do what you want. Free seven days is not what I thought it would be. Kept getting a ton of Geo fence notices that was flipping the alarm off and on. Going to give Ring a try. I love my ring doorbells so hopefully the other Ring cams are the same. I could probably get the Arlo's to work since I got the Iris cams to work but looking for more of an out of the box cam system for what you pay.

Iris Who?

I researched the hell out of these (Arlo) for my dad's replacement and after watching a few youtube videos, I took them off the list completely.  I am going with Unifi cameras by Ubiquiti for my house and I think I am going to pull the switch and do the same for my dad's house.  They are hard wired PoE but to me it worth the headache of running an ethernet cable(s).  I was going to go with Nest but am not sure on that one either.  https://blog.ui.com/2019/01/09/introducing-unifi-protect/

Already paid out of pocket for all my replacement devices unfortunately.  I wanted to do it at a pace that I was comfortable with.  Waiting on the gift card would be cutting it WAY too close for me.   I plan to hold onto my gift card for a bit and possibly use it to purchase an EVSE if I choose to go with an Electric Vehicle after my current lease is up. 🙂

1 hour ago, accessdenied79 said:

I researched the hell out of these (Arlo) for my dad's replacement and after watching a few youtube videos, I took them off the list completely.  I am going with Unifi cameras by Ubiquiti for my house and I think I am going to pull the switch and do the same for my dad's house.  They are hard wired PoE but to me it worth the headache of running an ethernet cable(s).  I was going to go with Nest but am not sure on that one either.  https://blog.ui.com/2019/01/09/introducing-unifi-protect/

I have tried all sorts of wireless cameras and have never been happy. Either they chew through batteries fast or the battery saving features are slow to react at times to trigger videos. Add in terrible performance in the cold (battery) and I am not a fan. Maybe these are viable options in the southern states but not where it gets cold. I agree that PoE is where it is at. Running one wire isn't that bad and you can set it to record 24/7 so you never miss anything. 

19 minutes ago, thegillion said:

If you have the time and want to do POE I would say got with Ubiquiti 100% I have used them on may installs they are great for the price. I got a ST and hubitat hub on the way. 

I'll second that, we mainly deploy Ubiquiti UniFi wireless gear as part of my day job, but  I have installed a few of their camera systems, and they seem well thought-out.

I'm personally using a patched-together system of older Axis POE cams for basic cameras, but now may be the time to step it up.

I have the unifi camera system on my main residence, and while I do like the cameras, the Unifi Server software is less than spectacular.   They are very slow to develop updates, which are mostly comprised of bug fixes which usually ends up breaking something else (sound familiar!)  This week I and many others are having problems accessing cameras via the unifi cloud system.  No response or acknowledgement from unifi.   

On my second residence I have a Lorex / Flir system and their software is almost unusable... i mean it's total crap, so much so I have been thinking about changing it out with mostly unifi cameras, but I will be using BlueIris for the NVR software.    I have a small test system up and running and BlueIris is soooooo much better than the free Unifi NVR server software.    I would highly recommend checking out BlueIris before you set your cameras up.   My other consideration is just to buy the Ring camera system.. $100 a year and easy access, no server to set up etc... is a pretty good deal. 

just my .02

I got the below, with money left over:

• 6 new v2 Iris contact sensors
  • 2 ST Multi-Purpose Sensors
  • 3 ST Smart Outlets
  • 2 Iris v2 Keypads
  • 2 Pet-Friendly Motion Sensors (a steal at $15/ea opposed to the only similar one I found for Iris that was $40)
  • 3 ST Buttons
  • 2 Secondary Sirens
  • an Aeon Doorbell
  • The ST Hub

TBH I was tickled to death on day-1 just from realizing you could put three programs on one button, so being able to make my own custom alert audibles with the doorbell makes me smile every time I open a door so much sometimes I open a door just to hear it 🤓

I have the unifi camera system on my main residence, and while I do like the cameras, the Unifi Server software is less than spectacular.   They are very slow to develop updates, which are mostly comprised of bug fixes which usually ends up breaking something else (sound familiar!)  This week I and many others are having problems accessing cameras via the unifi cloud system.  No response or acknowledgement from unifi.   

On my second residence I have a Lorex / Flir system and their software is almost unusable... i mean it's total crap, so much so I have been thinking about changing it out with mostly unifi cameras, but I will be using BlueIris for the NVR software.    I have a small test system up and running and BlueIris is soooooo much better than the free Unifi NVR server software.    I would highly recommend checking out BlueIris before you set your cameras up.   My other consideration is just to buy the Ring camera system.. $100 a year and easy access, no server to set up etc... is a pretty good deal. 

just my .02

The cloud key pro 2 is so much better than the free software. I noticed several features added with the cloud controller vs the free software. One is you can use the protect app with lots of features vs just the Unifi video app, even my access points interface was much better than with the software. $199 for the NVR/controller isn’t that bad, included a 1TB HDD for 24/7 recording and it’s really small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought the Arlo Pro 2 cams and they work pretty good. They connected right up to SmartThings. They are better than the iris cameras for sure. But not better than hardwired.

I saw a lot of bad reviews for the Arlo 4K Cameras that’s why I went with the Arlo Pro 2.

Getting them all up and running was 5 mins per camera.

I just bought the Arlo Pro 2 cams and they work pretty good. They connected right up to SmartThings. They are better than the iris cameras for sure. But not better than hardwired.

I saw a lot of bad reviews for the Arlo 4K Cameras that’s why I went with the Arlo Pro 2.

Getting them all up and running was 5 mins per camera.

Yeah I tried the 4k version of Arlo and not good.

Iris Who?

I went with ring and they are so much better IMO. The stick up cam has Poe option to but doesn't show up in ST while the others do. I also got a few wired spotlight cams, wired floodlight cams. These are heavy duty cams and the cables and accessories are heavy gage to. Has 3 different motion zones for cameras. Light control and light motion zones are separate from camera motion zones. Siren works well to. The spotlight light cam is the way to go for me I think. 4ec09842a2777467d5f3bd2a96931bcd.jpgb5786ab7b8ad24957ce72e5e48e55e78.jpg5cbf9f974edc881ff196d184907f47dd.jpg

Iris Who?

Some of my empty boxes....:

irisv2.jpg

Right after the notice I looked into everything, and decided I didn't want Smart Things sensors for two reason. The battery type and compatibility. So I jumped on eBay and quickly bought up enough NIB V2 equipment while it was reasonably priced to complete my house. This also means if I don't like Smart Things, I just swap out the hub, no big deal. 

I also picked up Arlo cams to replace my Iris cams. I guess so far I'll be the odd one out and say I really haven't had any big complaints. I bought them NIB off eBay, which saved me quite a bit off retail. One arrived DOA, and Arlo / Netgear replaced it no questions asked (eBay seller also offered as well, but I did some troubleshooting with Arlo first and they offered). The Cameras have much wider and clear picture than Iris for sure. I did have to turn off the microphones as those triggered the alarm right away as the house is never silent. I also had to setup a couple routines to take certain cameras down and bring them right back up throughout the day as I found out different automations would trigger the motion sensors. Such as the fish tank lights coming on or going off depending on the time of the day. Things like that. This is where having motion zones like Dusterp's image of Ring above would be nice. However I am also just using the free plan with Arlo, the paid version is supposed to identify various things, so maybe that would help. I don't know.

11 hours ago, Soozicle1 said:

I got the below, with money left over:

• 6 new v2 Iris contact sensors
  • 2 ST Multi-Purpose Sensors
  • 3 ST Smart Outlets
  • 2 Iris v2 Keypads
  • 2 Pet-Friendly Motion Sensors (a steal at $15/ea opposed to the only similar one I found for Iris that was $40)
  • 3 ST Buttons
  • 2 Secondary Sirens
  • an Aeon Doorbell
  • The ST Hub

TBH I was tickled to death on day-1 just from realizing you could put three programs on one button, so being able to make my own custom alert audibles with the doorbell makes me smile every time I open a door so much sometimes I open a door just to hear it 🤓

Where did you get the new V2 sensors?

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Some of my empty boxes....:

irisv2.jpg

Right after the notice I looked into everything, and decided I didn't want Smart Things sensors for two reason. The battery type and compatibility. So I jumped on eBay and quickly bought up enough NIB V2 equipment while it was reasonably priced to complete my house. This also means if I don't like Smart Things, I just swap out the hub, no big deal. 

I also picked up Arlo cams to replace my Iris cams. I guess so far I'll be the odd one out and say I really haven't had any big complaints. I bought them NIB off eBay, which saved me quite a bit off retail. One arrived DOA, and Arlo / Netgear replaced it no questions asked (eBay seller also offered as well, but I did some troubleshooting with Arlo first and they offered). The Cameras have much wider and clear picture than Iris for sure. I did have to turn off the microphones as those triggered the alarm right away as the house is never silent. I also had to setup a couple routines to take certain cameras down and bring them right back up throughout the day as I found out different automations would trigger the motion sensors. Such as the fish tank lights coming on or going off depending on the time of the day. Things like that. This is where having motion zones like Dusterp's image of Ring above would be nice. However I am also just using the free plan with Arlo, the paid version is supposed to identify various things, so maybe that would help. I don't know.

I am happy with my Arlo cams as well.  The Pro 2 does have zones if it is tied to constant power.  At my other house I had one set up that way as I could easily get power to it. not so easy at my new place, so they are all on battery, except for one I have hooked to a solar panel. The free plan Arlo has is exactly what I wanted, 7 days of recordings is perfect, plus all my recordings are saved to a 8GB USB drive plugged into the Arlo base so that gives me about 3 weeks of recordings saved. if I happen to need them.    It would be better, however,  if you could access the recordings directly though the Arlo base.  If I want to check them now I  have to unplug from base and move to my PC.  In my case that is not a big deal as the base is just on the other side of the room from my office PC.  Also all my cameras are tied in to ST, I don't view the camera through ST but I use the sensors for my smartapps.

The only real problem I had with the Pro 2 was it's IR was much worse than the Pro camera.  I ended up buying a external IR emitter and I found that if you want real night vision that is the way to go anyway.

Also I hated the Ring Doorbell, and the Ring app.   I don't mind having another app I have so many now whats one more, so I view the Arlo cameras in their app which is quite easy to use IMO.  I hated the Ring app with a passion, no way to automatically save recordings locally and the sound quality on the doorbell was basically useless.  

1 hour ago, dusterp said:

Added Google WiFi to go with my Google fiber. 

I've had Google WiFi for over a year now and can say it works really well for increasing coverage, but the downside is it does not support VPN.

Added Google WiFi to go with my Google fiber. Also picked up a echo spot for my ring cams. Never had so much fun with Iris! 28d2494ad6854cd3b15c349c02652714.jpg

Iris Who?

I'm really liking all these outlet mount options with cord keepers. Nice clean install. fdc89e45a3449fc553d3c0369c7e38ef.jpg

Iris Who?