How useful is a Ring Doorbell only?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Do you need the Ring Alarm to be able to have alert more than one phone?  And is a subscription required?

While trying to replace Iris, I need to upgrade my POE camera system for the house, but that will take some planning and $$.  I need a fill-in for now.

My wife has hearing challenges, and while I have a decent driveway alert system, I am wondering if a hard-wired Ring Doorbell will fill a need to alert her and I that there is someone at the front door.  This is mainly until I can get an alternate platform setup to detect human-size motion and send a timely alert so we can check the the regular camera system.

I am only worried about the front door at this point, because both the back door and garage walk-door open into an area blocked by our 100+lbs organic alarm/defense system, plus contact sensors and cameras.

23 minutes ago, pavalov said:

Those are pretty useful, and don't require the cloud when the internet goes out.

Nope, and per the poor cable technician, who rose up from checking the outdoor coax box to find a pair of pointed ears, two intense eyes and a dark nose checking him out through half-glass of the back door, he's pretty terrifying late in the afternoon.

Finally got a few minutes last night to fire up the Ring Doorbell and test it a bit.  Added the apps to my phone and the wife's, and the WAF was almost immediate.

I have mentioned that she has hearing loss, but was.......i guess "thrilled" is a good match, with the Ring Doorbell, to the point I could not finish working out how to mount it last night.  She was working in her craft room, apparently enjoyed using the Ring Doorbell to keep track of other things going on on the other side of the house.

We have Android devices, and she kept mentioning how cool it was to get the motion alerts, and check the door bell view from the notification received, I was a little puzzled at the enthusiasm, but apparently it was huge for the WAF.  The two way communication was apparently also intriguing, as she kept using it as an intercom to ask more about the doorbell, where/how I was mounting it, etc.  In other words, she was acting like I do when trying out a new electronic toy. 

I thought the "fisheye" view would bother her, but apparently having a similar lens for her DLSR, she thought the wide-angle was really useful.  And already asked if we going to get another one for the back door.....

I just bought the basic Ring Doorbell in Bronze, and really expected a lot more resistance to installing and using it.

I've still got to work out a mount due to our front door surround and sort out the hard wire for power, but I did not expect this to work this well.

Thought I would follow-up with a "almost a month" review of the Ring Doorbell.

Simply put, this thing had paid for itself several times over.  Besides knowing when Amazon stuff arrives, we can tell if the delivery person actually set the package under the porch overhang.

It's motion notices have worked as presence detection for various people visiting our house that sits way back off the road during the day, so it helped sell my wife on a gate for our long drive way.

I've used it as a paging system several times for my wife who may not hear a knock on the front door.

The motion detection ignores our outside cats, but notified us that our goats had gotten out and were inspecting the porch. We were able to shoo them from the porch thanks to the Ring two-way.

The simple app, and decent camera (for its purpose) has sold my wife on a better security camera system.  She was startled at the number of visitors we have during the day now that we have no children at home, but our son who lived with us until last August always told us nobody ever came to our house except USPS, UPS and FedEx.  Interesting at the increase in traffic.

I'm glad I spent the money on the Ring doorbell.

I just setup a Ring doorbell with the inside chime. I had been using a SmartThings SmartButton and the Aerotec doorbell but the Ring is better in a couple ways.

First it has a built in camera which I dodn't have with the Iris button I was using as a doorbell or with the ST SmartButton. I have cameras that cover the entrance from two directions whose fields of view overlap so you can't approach either camera from any direction without being seen by the other but I have no audio setup with those particular cameras and if you're standing facing the door then your face can not be seen or recorded. The Ring Doorbell solves that problem for us. I have no power available there so having the battery option is a plus. The audio quality is very good I think for what it is and the wife is happy with it and that's the most important thing. She is often somewhere in the house away from the door and the Aerotec doorbell volume even on it's highest setting was not enough to be heard in the back of the house. The Ring indoor chime is very loud and solves that problem plus she has the app on her phone so she can receive alerts on the phone and use the camera and mic to talk to whoever is at the door.

It works well with Alexa too. I can use my Fire TV stick remote and say "Alexa, display back door" and the Ring camera video and audio is piped right on the TV full screen. If I'm viewing from an Alexa device like the Echo Show, then I have two-way audio. Thanks to the two security system cameras and their IR lights, the RIng camera has a view at night that looks like daytime. It has it's own IR LEDs but the additional IR lighting floods the area sho there are no shadows.

The only negative to a Ring doorbel that I can see is if it was your only camera watching the porch nad it is mounted in the traditional location next to the door and about 48 inches up is you can't see the area at the bottom of the doorway. So a package placed there is out of view. It's not possible to approach it without being detected, but you can't see it.

This image is of poor quality because it is a snapshot taken with my phone camera off the display of my Echo Spot. In reality it is very clear.

image.png.a9e639b76d73825ebb154f37174a1300.png