Realistic ETA for a functional Arcus
3 3

33 posts in this topic

AFAIK, the v3 hub isn't really an architecture change. The only significant change is iris v1 to iris v2. Presumably iris v1 must have been a lot simpler design, but had some architectural flaws (e.g. couldn't scale, buggy, etc.) that resulted in the v2 solution, but I wasn't around to see it.

8 hours ago, AndrewX192 said:

AFAIK, the v3 hub isn't really an architecture change. The only significant change is iris v1 to iris v2. Presumably iris v1 must have been a lot simpler design, but had some architectural flaws (e.g. couldn't scale, buggy, etc.) that resulted in the v2 solution, but I wasn't around to see it.

The Ver 1 Hub actually seemed to work quite well. Of course, back then, there was only V1 equipment to pair with it but it all worked seamlessly. Just my experience though.

I assume the backend technology stack between v1 and v2 was very different, but nothing significant on the backend changed for the v3 hub. All the references to the hub in Arcus appear to be around "v2 hub", and I believe that covers both models, since it has the sounds that the v3 hub apparently plays.

Anyway, I've already found a way to use the Arcus platform with non-Iris devices... not just generic zigbee/zwave devices, but by extending the IPCD procotol in Arcus, I was able to get it to talk to a bridge service to my Insteon hub. This means I can now control Insteon devices (e.g. light switches) without leaving the Arcus platform :)

Yeah, v1 was a completely different back end platform. v2 and v3 are identical from the platform perspective, really all v3 was was a new generation of hubs and zigbee 1st party devices (which a lot of HW and FW improvements).

Thanks for chiming in. I guess I'll look into getting a v3 hub as well then, but from what I've seen they're in pretty limited supply. It would be nice to not have to walk around with a long cable to pair things.

10 minutes ago, AndrewX192 said:

Thanks for chiming in. I guess I'll look into getting a v3 hub as well then, but from what I've seen they're in pretty limited supply. It would be nice to not have to walk around with a long cable to pair things.

I discovered mostly by accident, while re-pair-ing (as opposed to repairing as in fixing!) all my Iris devices to my new Hubitat hub, that If I pairs devices in distance order, shortest to longest, outlets first, that I built up a zigbee network that allowed me to pair all my devices without having to move any of them.  I have an admittedly small network: 10 outlets and 10 door/motion sensors, spread across a medium sized house.  The house is 2 stories, with devices in the basement as well.  The farthest point from the  hub is about 40 feet. 

So my lesson is that you might not really need to have the hub and device right next to each other, at least for zigbee.  I only have one z-wave device (other than all those outlet repeaters), and it took several tries to get it excluded and into pairing mode, which I did next to the computer and hub, after the first try didn't work.

3 hours ago, joeses said:

I discovered mostly by accident, while re-pair-ing (as opposed to repairing as in fixing!) all my Iris devices to my new Hubitat hub, that If I pairs devices in distance order, shortest to longest, outlets first, that I built up a zigbee network that allowed me to pair all my devices without having to move any of them.  I have an admittedly small network: 10 outlets and 10 door/motion sensors, spread across a medium sized house.  The house is 2 stories, with devices in the basement as well.  The farthest point from the  hub is about 40 feet. 

So my lesson is that you might not really need to have the hub and device right next to each other, at least for zigbee.  I only have one z-wave device (other than all those outlet repeaters), and it took several tries to get it excluded and into pairing mode, which I did next to the computer and hub, after the first try didn't work.

I have some Z-Wave devices that I couldn’t easily remove, but for the contact sensors I had to get reasonably close, maybe because I don’t have a lot of repeaters

18 hours ago, AndrewX192 said:

Anyway, I've already found a way to use the Arcus platform with non-Iris devices... not just generic zigbee/zwave devices, but by extending the IPCD procotol in Arcus, I was able to get it to talk to a bridge service to my Insteon hub. This means I can now control Insteon devices (e.g. light switches) without leaving the Arcus platform :)

That’s where my interest lies as well. The architecture of the platform is built well, but it’s so massive that building in support for new devices proved to be a challenge even for Lowe’s.  

I am the author of HubConnect which is an app for the Hubitat platform. HubConnect currently has a client for SmartThings which allowed devices on either platform to exist in real-time on both. Another member of the Hubitat community has just released a HubConnect Remote Client for HomeBridge (Home Kit) enabling Hubitat and SmartThings devices to be seen as Apple Homekit devices (and vice-versa). 

It would be great to see a client built into Arcus. It would immediately open Arcus to virtually any device that can be connected to Hubitat, SmartThings, and HomeKit.  If that’s something of interest let me know.