Multi-platform interference problem? coincidence?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I've had a stable iris system for a very long time. Aside from a flakey door lock (which was purchased 2nd hand) I've never had an issue with devices dropping offline.
My deadbolt has given me issues over the years with adding access codes, and on a couple of occasions it has stopped communicating with my iris hub and had to be re-paired.
Last Saturday I got a ring alarm system and set it up that night... after I had everything else working I removed my door lock and tried to set it up with ring but it would not transfer access codes. Knowing it was supposed to be supported, and it's been giving me issues from day one, I went ahead Sunday and bought a new one and swapped it out.
Monday I had one of my z-wave wall switches drop off my iris hub... I've never had an issues with any of my switches in the past. I tried a 2 second reset on iris and air gapping the switch. The only way I was able to get it back working is to remove and re-pair it.

I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with adding the ring alarm system, which uses "z-wave plus" devices, or changing out the deadbolt. Hopefully once I get my smartthings setup running I am not going to have any issues caused by running smartthings and ring together.
Has anyone else noticed any z-wave or zigbee mesh issues after adding another hub in your home?

At my other house I had the Arlo Cameras, ST hub and an Iris Hub running in the same house,  It was pretty stable.  I still have all three running now, but the Iris hub is out at my shop which is about 200' behind my house, so it's really too far away to interact with the ST hub.

What type of lock is it?

When I was first switching over to SmartThings, I had both the SmartThings and Iris hubs up and running for a while. This entire time I've had zero problems out of my Kwikset lock, after the switch to SmartThings it would not stay paired, and worse yet when it would drop off it would take other things with it. I figured it was the way it was meshed together. So I left the lock off, reconnected the other items. Also worth noting the lock is literally 3-4 feet away from the hub, and right next to a GE Z-wave wall switch which should be repeating signal.

Anyways my Kwikset lock had a Rev 1.0 ZWave module in it, which is regular ZWave, they now have Rev 3.8 modules out which are ZWave plus. I picked up one of these, and "upgraded" my lock to this. I've had zero problems since. I don't know what the deal was. Kwikset did say these modules were not compatible, all the sellers of these modules say they are. What I found were they are, the only draw back is I can no longer program codes on the lock itself with the Rev 3.8 board in my old lock that was meant for the Rev 1.0 board. To program lock codes I have to use the app. Everything else functions. Once programed, all the buttons on the front work fine. The lock button works even with no codes programmed, etc.

I ran an Iris hub in the same room as a Wink hub and a Philips Hue Bridge.  I was using Ezviz wifi cameras as well as 5 Iris cameras, 2 of which were in the same room as the rest of the stuff.  I had a pretty stable system, with no known interference issues.  Other than my kids 4 gaming consoles interfering with my bandwidth...

I am currently running the Wink hub, Ring hub and the Hue bridge in that same room with 2 Ezviz cams and various other electronics that has remained unchanged throughout this transition from Iris.

I also have a Smartthings hub ready to get hooked up some time this week.  I only plan on connecting a few devices to see how it works and how the app functions.  But, that should really test the interference in my house.

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

What type of lock is it?

When I was first switching over to SmartThings, I had both the SmartThings and Iris hubs up and running for a while. This entire time I've had zero problems out of my Kwikset lock, after the switch to SmartThings it would not stay paired, and worse yet when it would drop off it would take other things with it. I figured it was the way it was meshed together. So I left the lock off, reconnected the other items. Also worth noting the lock is literally 3-4 feet away from the hub, and right next to a GE Z-wave wall switch which should be repeating signal.

Anyways my Kwikset lock had a Rev 1.0 ZWave module in it, which is regular ZWave, they now have Rev 3.8 modules out which are ZWave plus. I picked up one of these, and "upgraded" my lock to this. I've had zero problems since. I don't know what the deal was. Kwikset did say these modules were not compatible, all the sellers of these modules say they are. What I found were they are, the only draw back is I can no longer program codes on the lock itself with the Rev 3.8 board in my old lock that was meant for the Rev 1.0 board. To program lock codes I have to use the app. Everything else functions. Once programed, all the buttons on the front work fine. The lock button works even with no codes programmed, etc.

This was a Schlage BE469.
Everything with the new lock looks the same, but it seems to lock much faster and the sticker on the back of the lock shows a much newer firmware version. My lock is probably about 15 feet from the hub, almost line-of-sight in the same room (but the hub is a little bit hidden).
It's interesting that when your lock disconnected it seemed to take other things with it. I would assume because these things are battery powered they don't act as a repeater.
It's just interesting that this only happened after adding the ring hub and changing locks (and moving the new lock to ring). I removed a bunch of zigbee devices and replaced them with zwave plus (17 contact sensors and a couple of keypads) but I didn't remove any zwave plug in devices. Could just be coincidence I guess.

What type of lock is it?
I've got the exact same problem. Did Kwikset offer to fix it?

Iris Who?

7 hours ago, Smitho said:

I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with adding the ring alarm system, which uses "z-wave plus" devices, or changing out the deadbolt. Hopefully once I get my smartthings setup running I am not going to have any issues caused by running smartthings and ring together.
Has anyone else noticed any z-wave or zigbee mesh issues after adding another hub in your home?

Running multiple Z-Wave meshes with a few devices isn't a heck of a lot different than a single mesh with a lot of devices.  Z-Wave include collision avoidance mechanisms to deal with this.  In simplistic terms, the radio listens for a clear channel before it transmits.  That mechanism works the same way regardless if a device is connected to one hub or another.  They all share the same channel, the actual hub that they're connected is meaningless to the radio layer.

I've got three Z-Wave capable hubs all getting along; SmartThings (no Z-Wave devices) plus two Hubitat hubs; one in the basement, and one on the second floor.  Both Hubitat hubs have large Z-Wave meshes.  There are zero issues with those meshes.

Unless the hubs are right next to each other you should not have any issues running them side by side.

I'm not having any problems right now most of my devices are Z-Wave and they are still on the iris platform. I'm using hubitat for testing so only 3 devices are on it 2 zwave and 1 zigbee. I am starting to move everything else to ST for the wife. I am also using basic devices on Walmart smart plugs. 412a92d87ca8892a5603c2de6a3c6f9a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, dusterp said:

I've got the exact same problem. Did Kwikset offer to fix it?

Iris Who?

No. Kwikset tech support at least verified that the Rev 3.8 module was a stronger signal, than the Rev 1.0 module, which was the info I needed. However they told me the two were incompatible with each other, and they did not sell the modules separately. I was able to source the module separately, and swap it out with my Rev 1.0 card, and it's worked perfectly since. It was a $40 experiment though (cost of the module for me).

10 hours ago, thegillion said:

I'm not having any problems right now most of my devices are Z-Wave and they are still on the iris platform. I'm using hubitat for testing so only 3 devices are on it 2 zwave and 1 zigbee. I am starting to move everything else to ST for the wife. I am also using basic devices on Walmart smart plugs. 412a92d87ca8892a5603c2de6a3c6f9a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Once you get the hang of Hubitat, you're gonna love it.  I'm migrating from Iris to it. There are a few things that I'm gonna miss, like contact sensor alerts and 2 motion sensor to avoid false alarms.

28 minutes ago, c379776 said:

Hubitat: I am using the Echo intrgration for contact sensor chimes and there is a Zone manager that will do the motion stuff you are looking for. 

Sweet, I'm gonna have to look into it.

16 hours ago, thegillion said:

I am starting to move everything else to ST for the wife

Wouldn't be easier to just move the wife to SmartThings and the devices to Hubitat?   🤣

5 hours ago, PeteSal said:

There are a few things that I'm gonna miss, like contact sensor alerts and 2 motion sensor to avoid false alarms.

HSM can do contact sensor alerts pretty much exactly as Iris did.  Just set up a Pushover device for each user and you're good to go.

Zone Motion Manger can aggregate multiple motion sensors into a single virtual motion, with false motion reduction based on activation windows.  It's a built-in app.