Desired outcome for Arcus.

18 posts in this topic

Hoping to see Arcus do a one for one replacement for Iris, with potentially avaialble pro monitoring. Again not likely, but won't say its totally out of the cards.

I would like to see the addition of IFTTT and Ring... 

My main goal is I want to add a couple of RIng Floodlight cameras, and use the sensors, sirens and lights from within Arcus, and hopefully tie it all into Alexa...

Am I too far off on a wishlist?

1 hour ago, BigHoss said:

Hoping to see Arcus do a one for one replacement for Iris, with potentially avaialble pro monitoring. Again not likely, but won't say its totally out of the cards.

Not happening...  Not unless someone comes along with a lot of capital, and that's not likely..

Remember, Lowe's didn't promise to release ALL of the code, only portions.  In fact, they didn't promise to release anything... At all.

Iris is intending to open source portions of its smart home software pending a third-party security review of the code and will name it Arcus.

The truth is, there's absolutely nothing guaranteed by that statement.  Don't get your hopes up.

Well, FWIW, yes, they are intending to open source portions of its software. I suspect there will have to be an obscene amount of reverse engineering to get things working, or the original developers will have to do a rewrite on an open source basis of the chunks missing....

No guarantees, obviously, but look at it this way. The only other truly viable alternative that is roughly functionally equivalent to Iris is ADT Smartthings, and my original intent was to go down that road, but all the signs are there that the ADT variant of smartthings is going away soon too. So no, I am not going to waste my money on that platform either...

There really needs to be a rock solid, standards compliant system that will allow us to pick and choose hardware and services as we see fit, very much like Linux distributions and compatible hardware do now... There is plenty of space out there for propriatary systems, but I am sick, and tired of vendor lock, including in the home automation space...

Just having the V1 devices work to some degree would be nice -- especially any of the security features including the key pad -- unless that is going to be considered plastic trash for the landfills. Maybe we can use the radios for something... seems like a lot of wasted electronics. 

21 minutes ago, tblessing said:

Just having the V1 devices work to some degree would be nice -- especially any of the security features including the key pad -- unless that is going to be considered plastic trash for the landfills. Maybe we can use the radios for something... seems like a lot of wasted electronics. 

Trying to avoid tech waste is in no small part why I want to insure that my V1 stuff still works. The proprietary vendor locks in that much of the home automation / security market is strangled by is bad for consumers, and bad for the environment, and honestly, in the long run, not exactly great for vendors. 

My setup isn't complex, but it also wasn't complete. I have the following setup right now.

V2 hub, V2 Safe and Secure kit (Keypad, 2 contact sensors, 1 motion sensor), 15 V1 contact sensors, V3 Zigbee smart plug, and 5 V1 OC821 outdoor cameras.  Non Iris, but compatible hardware includes 2 Utilitech sirens, and a Honeywell smart WiFi thermostat, plus 3 Amazon Echo Dot second generations.

I have one device that doesn't work with Iris, which is a Ring Video Doorbell 2. 

My intent was to add fan speed, and lighting controllers to the setup, as well as smoke / CO detectors, however my house has hard wired detectors which I know of none that are compatible with any systems. I would LOVE to have Alexa listen for the alarms I have now and trigger an alarm event. 

I see lots of use cases that show running your coffee maker off of a timer function and a smart plug for example, but I have a Ninja Coffee Bar that has a time delay I can set, and I need to load the coffee and water in it anyway so no real help there.  Aside from a couple of lamps, which I don't own many, I prefer room lighting except a reading light by my recliner... So smart plugs are not a huge advantage to me aside form as a Zigbee range extender. 

I would LOVE to see my V1 and V2 stuff stay usable, but honestly have never been thrilled with the OC821 cameras. I am hoping to use the reimbursement money for Iris to pick up some Ring Floodlight Cams, I found I only need 3, and they give me MUCH better video, plus attention grabbers like the light and added sirens.

I have spent the time, since Lowes announced the shutdown of Iris looking into alternatives, and to put it bluntly, the only alternative system that offered what I wanted is / was ADT Smartthings, and ADT smartthings is being sold for bottom barrel prices, availability is hit or miss, and ADT just picked up another DIY home security / automation company, all signals that they will be walking away from the ADT Smartthings partnership and abandoning the platform.

Assuming that Arcus is able to salvage the feature set of Iris and with any luck enhancing with Ring support then I will be at a position where I will be happy with my system. I am very discouraged by the alternatives from other vendors, and am not sure what other options I have that will meet my needs...

9 hours ago, ShieldOfSalvation said:

I found an Arcus site at http://www.arcussmarthome.nl/contact/. Is this the company taking over the Iris system? 

This could be problematic. The name Arcus while I understand what Lowes and the Iris team are trying to do, wasn't well thought out. Considering there is a commercial product out there apparently Dutch, named Arcus Smarthome, it would appear there could be a name / trademark issue here.

The smart money would be on renaming the Open Source project for replacing Iris to something that is conflict free. 

Iris was not bought out, Lowes will be closing it down on March 31.  I believe this Dutch arussmarthome.nl was an unknown at the time they derived the Arcus Smart Home name.

11 hours ago, BigHoss said:

This could be problematic. The name Arcus while I understand what Lowes and the Iris team are trying to do, wasn't well thought out. Considering there is a commercial product out there apparently Dutch, named Arcus Smarthome, it would appear there could be a name / trademark issue here.

The smart money would be on renaming the Open Source project for replacing Iris to something that is conflict free. 

Looks to be free and clear of trademark issues here in the USA... So long as it's marketed here in the US there are no conflicts.

That said, anyone who chooses to use the code is completely free to rename it to whatever they wish.

12 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

Looks to be free and clear of trademark issues here in the USA... So long as it's marketed here in the US there are no conflicts.

That said, anyone who chooses to use the code is completely free to rename it to whatever they wish.

I looked into it somewhat yesterday, and I need to go over with a finer tooth comb the Apache license they appear to have released it under. I have typically worked with GPL V2 licenses and am not super familar with the Apache licensing framework. 

While I think open sourcing is a great thing, I can't see unless something goes terribly wrong with the Arcus project, a valid reason to fork a derivative work off of it. Of course I am limited to my own perspective so there might be, I just don't see it...

8 hours ago, BigHoss said:

I looked into it somewhat yesterday, and I need to go over with a finer tooth comb the Apache license they appear to have released it under. I have typically worked with GPL V2 licenses and am not super familar with the Apache licensing framework. 

While I think open sourcing is a great thing, I can't see unless something goes terribly wrong with the Arcus project, a valid reason to fork a derivative work off of it. Of course I am limited to my own perspective so there might be, I just don't see it...

You are missing one key point here.  The code is/will be posted to a read only repo. Unless Lowes or a designee acts as the maintainer is that repo to police and approve commits, the ONLY way to use the code is to fork it to a new project. 

I’ve seen nothing to indicate that there will be a caretaker or non-profit designated to be the admin of the repo. Unless that happens anyone using the code has to fork into a new project. 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:12 PM, thegillion said:

I have the domain that will be used for the open source project http://arcussmarthome.com/ the other site was just that someone that had the same name. Iris will be closed and lowes is not allowing the name Iris to be open so thats why the name was changed. 

So you have the domain locked up, are you planning on an open source project foundation in the vein of the Linux Foundation, Apache Foundation whatever and a full on open source project for Arcus? Do you need help with any of this?

1 hour ago, BigHoss said:

So you have the domain locked up, are you planning on an open source project foundation in the vein of the Linux Foundation, Apache Foundation whatever and a full on open source project for Arcus? Do you need help with any of this?

Whatever the Arcus team wants to do with it. If they want me to host I will be happy to if they want me to give them the domain for like a Wiki page I will do that too. I just have it locked down so someone that didn't want to see Arcus work or wanted to make a quick buck didn't get it. 

I would say that a greatly desired outcome for Arcus would be to have this new system never depend on another cloud company that could ditch us again. IMONT Technologies is a company experienced with Iris which offers such a vision--cloudless IoT. Might its software or its knowledge/vision be useful to this Arcus project?

1 hour ago, thegillion said:

Whatever the Arcus team wants to do with it. If they want me to host I will be happy to if they want me to give them the domain for like a Wiki page I will do that too. I just have it locked down so someone that didn't want to see Arcus work or wanted to make a quick buck didn't get it. 

So do you happen to know whom the Arcus team is made up of? Perhaps some contact info would be great... Lest we fork off twenty different ways ang nobody gets anywhere fast...

I was able to build both apps after pulling them from the repositories.  The iOS app does not do much as it attempts to connect to your local machine to login (which makes sense since eventually you would have to provide the connection strings to your particular instance of the Arcus platform).  Surprisingly the Android application actually connected to the still running Iris servers and I could use it to access my Iris account (which now only contains an offline hub, but I was able to login to the account so I assume the rest of the app was fully functional).  It was very generous of Lowe's to make all these resources (including all the graphics images) available to the open source community and I look forward to seeing the platform and hub software released at some point as well.

Hopefully once that occurs other vendors may be able to leverage what is there to also support the Iris V1 devices (I hope at least the Contact Sensors, Motion Sensors, Plugs, and Smart Buttons).