Phone call notification SOLVED!

8 posts in this topic

I was using my Iris for elder care and really counted on the phone call notification that I could get with the Iris Care plan.

I have not been able to find replacement Home Automation System with this feature, however the other day I found a service called Email2Phone.net.

The way it works is Email2Phone gives you an email address, and whenever an email arrives in the inbox it calls the number that you have provided for the account and reads the email to you.

I signed up for a 30-day free trial account with Email2Phone and have done some testing with a VeraPlus Controller and a door sensor.  I set up a notifications only user in Vera with the Email2Phone email address and when I trigger the door sensor my phone rings in 8-10 seconds!

Cost is $10/month for 40 one-minute calls in the US.  Additional calls are 25 cents.  No contract - just month to month.

Web site is 

https://www.email2phone.net/

Hope this helps!

Performance sounds good but the price is a bit high. I was hoping to use something like this for self monitoring an alarm but that price gets professional monitoring. Would be nice if they offered a lower monthly fee or yearly with far fewer calls. Seems we don't know how good we had it with Iris but glad you found a solution that works for you.

52 minutes ago, Wlepse said:

Performance sounds good but the price is a bit high. I was hoping to use something like this for self monitoring an alarm but that price gets professional monitoring. Would be nice if they offered a lower monthly fee or yearly with far fewer calls. Seems we don't know how good we had it with Iris but glad you found a solution that works for you.

Notifications seems to be something Iris excelled at.  We timed the security alerts every couple of months, once the entry delay elapsed, those phone calls, emails, and alerts were hitting our phones in less than 5 seconds.  And the panic button set up for the wife was mere seconds also.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, fa56 said:

I was using my Iris for elder care and really counted on the phone call notification that I could get with the Iris Care plan.

I have not been able to find replacement Home Automation System with this feature, however the other day I found a service called Email2Phone.net.

The way it works is Email2Phone gives you an email address, and whenever an email arrives in the inbox it calls the number that you have provided for the account and reads the email to you.

So the text message isn't as good in your situation? 

Today - I saw Ring was advertising $10/month and through your cable company/other security provider out. 

----

(Okay, I thought about it - if you didn't have a cell phone, that text would be a problem).

I decided to delay installing the Hubitat hub, and look at the problems Iris solved, and at least outline how I can solve it with the Hubitat environment before starting.  The notification challenge is a concern, and part of getting the security setup to work acceptably without presence detection based on a mobile device is also. We counted on those phone calls in a alert scenario and the notifications for other scenarios, so that either human interaction  would occurs, an automatic response happens, or the event is just logged....or all three of needed.

The phone call from Iris saved the day a few times, as friends and trained first responder neighbors were much closer than anyone professional monitoring would contact.  And the quick notifications meant security cameras got checked for a human decision on several occasions. I'll admit, I'm getting somewhat discouraged trying to find a solution.

I personally relied on those calls. My phone is always on vibrate so often the short vibration for a text or email isn't enough to get my attention. But the persistent vibration did. I was using a Google voice number so it randomly several phones, this was super helpful for those water leaks I had in the middle of the night. No amount of vibrating on my nightstand would wake me..but the house phone does. Notifications were definitely a strong point for Iris.