Random Thought
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I was thinking, in this forum we have many talented people and tear down of the iris devices, would their be a way to upgrade V1 firmware via one last push to allow Smartthings  or other platforms access to our devices? This is beyond my talant of basic html and old flash design. But every note regarding incompatibility is in regards to the protocols of our former alert me devices could they not be changed via a firmware or program update, because I cannot find a direct comment about the actual hardware? I have ultimately gone with ring for security and Smartthings  for automation, because I dot want to take a risk with other options being an educator in California I cannot afford costly risks, but I hate how wasteful the consumers and the market are of today. We as a community think everything is worthless after a few years. A great example is my Motorola Phone after two years support and upgrades to firmware is discontinued, companies and consumers used to care about the longevity of their purchases,  but now we may as well go back and use cfc's because we are going to be in the same boat.

That is my hope. I am hoping when Lowes open sources the Arcus code, that will include the old Alertme (v1 code) and then other companies will use that code to add compatibility. Hopefully ST, Arcus, Systronics, hubutat, etc etc will all have support for it, but atleast if it is public and out there, someone will add it eventually.

"companies and consumers used to care about the longevity of their purchases"

Companies care about making money for their shareholders. Making a product that lasts forever (or a long time) to which you provide low profit upgrades is no longer part of the business model that it taught these days. Corporate reputations used to be built on producing reliable products and standing behind them, not today. Sales volume and stock gains are the determining factors.

I think it's more about designing a product that has a reasonable life span for the cost (one right at the brink of what consumers will tolerate) and keep the "upgrade now before it's too late!" mentality going.

There was nothing wrong with my Galaxy Note 3 until the last 'update' from Samsung destroyed it battery life and I was forced to get a new phone because you can't back up/uninstall  many of these system updates. They bundle OS upgrades with new features to entice you into the one-way install, then when some bug in their code destroys your phone you can't go back to what you had, thereby destroying your property and investment.

Microsoft lets a bug out in Windows that messes up your OS and everyone gets upset to the point of wanting to burn Bill Gates (or current CEO)  in effigy. But if your phone manufacturer screws up your phone physically to the point that it's useless no one seems to care, time to get a new phone anyway you'll be told.

Case in point is non-removable batteries. The piece part most likely to wear out in your phone is the battery due to its limitation on number of charges and reduced capacity as it ages. Not that great but it does degrade. You used to be able to pop in a spare battery or buy a replacement and insert it in just a few seconds but I don't believe there are many if any phones with replaceable batteries any more. Some never had replaceable batteries.

Sorry, went WOT. But I too hope that the source code that Lowes releases to the public domain gives ST and others something to work with and develop drivers to support those older devices.

But looking at it realistically like a Ferengi (what's the profit?), there is little to be gained in developing a driver for a device that will result in less sales for them.  :-)

If they keep your Iris V1 device operating you're not likely to buy a new one right? We all want to save money and companies want our money, an endless struggle.

I completed transferring all of my devices from Iris and most from SmartThings to Hubitat this weekend, the only devices I haven't been able to transfer yet is the GE/Jasco Hinge Pin Sensor Iris sent me to beta test a while back,  which works fine on SmartThings so I moved it there until I have more time to look for a driver for it, and some Xiaomi buttons on the SmartThings side which I haven't spent much time trying to transfer since they don't strictly conform to the Zigbee protocal, I will still likely try to find a way in the future since on ST once you got them connected (and stable which usually took a second join) they worked well for the $5 I paid for each.  Otherwise all my Schlage and Yale locks, Iris/Linear Garage door controller, Iris v2 devices (Door/Window, Leak, Motion sensors, keypad, and Smart Plugs), Iris v1 devices (Door/Window sensors are all I tried so far) but I know the keypad isn't tested yet, OSRAM Lightify Dimming Switch (required driver to work fully), Samsung Buttons and Leak sensors, EcoLink Z-Wave Door/Window sensor, Zooz Power Switch, Utilitech Siren and Leak detectors, OSRAM LED light strips, Sonos, Alexa, IFTTT, and more.  I use Life 360 for presence sensing on Hubitat which has been working much better than ST native presence sensing ever did, I have a few users not on Life 360 (since it lets you see where each other are all the time) and those are still using the SmartThings native abilities which works with Hubitat through the Hub Link app.  I also have a few integrations on the SmartThings side I haven't had time to look into migrating yet like Blue Fusion 3.0 and Neato (Connect) but otherwise there are very few things left on SmartThings and nothing left on Iris.

I will say the join process was much easier with Zigbee than Z-Wave since I could extend the network with Iris v2 Smart Plugs when needed and didn't have to move the hub at all for those.  With Z-Wave there were a few switches I had to move the hub to get joined and all of the locks and Garage door controller.

So far I'm pleased with Hubitat although I've owned it since they started selling them but hadn't really taken the time to figure it out until a week ago, the interface is pretty intimidating when compared to the Iris or even SmartThings apps, however Hubitat's Rule Machine is way more flexible than Iris and just a little less flexible than CoRE.  Even with the Dashboard figured out it still doesn't look anywhere as nice as the Iris or SmartThings apps did and is much more manual to setup than Iris was.  They are promising an app for Hubitat I'm hoping will be a little nicer to use than the dashboards, it's also supposed to have push notifications (right now it relies on the Pushover app which you have to pay $5 for but works ok) and Geofencing built in although Life 360 is working so well right now I will have to test the integrated one a while before I decide if I want to move to it completely.

The main reason I decided to invest the time in migrating to Hubitat was all local processing (Remote Notifications, Geofencing presence sensors, IFTTT, Alexa, and other cloud integration of course still require Internet to work but the alarm will sound and automations will all occur if the internet is down and I'll be able to arm/disarm with my Iris V2 keypads if the internet is down.  Also if the vendors cloud goes down due to a fault of theirs or their hosting service it will still fully function unlike SmartThings or Iris and although it didn't happen real frequently with Iris it's happened more frequently with SmartThings, also with ST the alarm would sound if the internet was down but without phisical presence sensors which I don't use there was no way to disarm the system or disable the siren if you arrived home with the system armed since keypads required DTH which kept them from working when offline and CoRE/WebCoRE automations would only occur when online as well because they where community created and so didn't reside in the devices firmware.

Glad you had so much luck. I had just a little luck with ST, but no joy with the t-stats which is a big deal. The momentum seems to be with Hubitat and my hub should be delivered today. Hope to begin using it on Friday. I'll surely post as I come up with questions. I've been looking into Action Tiles and SharpTools if the native dashboard doesn't work that well.