Question for you Hubitat users

19 posts in this topic

I am trying to learn about Hubitat before deciding what to do about security. I have several Iris V2 keypads & all my doors have the Iris NYCE door hinge sensors & windows have Iris V2 contact sensors, plus I have Utilitech sirens. This is all I want for security as I use Wink & ST for HA. I see Hubitat Wiki does show that it supports a couple of NYCE sensors but it does NOT show the door hinge sensors...I really don't want large sensors on my doors--it's OK for windows but not doors.

Can any of you confirm the following:

Does Hubitat support the NYCE door hinge sensors? I currently have them paired in Wink now just for a notification that door was opened.

Does Hubitat support the Iris V2 keypads to function as in Iris, that is, with delayed entry/exit--something that ST does not do?

With products that I listed above in what I used for my security system under Iris, will Hubitat allow me to do the same for security, i.e. window sensors, keypads, hinges & siren? If so, then I'm ordering a Hubitat Hub. This is all getting confusing trying to decide between Ring, Hubitat etc for just unmonitored basic security alarm.

I just want to be able to arm the system on exit via keypad with delay...siren sound when door/window opened...disarm on entry with a delay using old Iris stuff I listed above. Is this easily done with Hubitat? Thank you!

mojo2600

2 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

I am trying to learn about Hubitat before deciding what to do about security. I have several Iris V2 keypads & all my doors have the Iris NYCE door hinge sensors & windows have Iris V2 contact sensors, plus I have Utilitech sirens. This is all I want for security as I use Wink & ST for HA. I see Hubitat Wiki does show that it supports a couple of NYCE sensors but it does NOT show the door hinge sensors...I really don't want large sensors on my doors--it's OK for windows but not doors.

Can any of you confirm the following:

Does Hubitat support the NYCE door hinge sensors? I currently have them paired in Wink now just for a notification that door was opened.

Does Hubitat support the Iris V2 keypads to function as in Iris, that is, with delayed entry/exit--something that ST does not do?

With products that I listed above in what I used for my security system under Iris, will Hubitat allow me to do the same for security, i.e. window sensors, keypads, hinges & siren? If so, then I'm ordering a Hubitat Hub. This is all getting confusing trying to decide between Ring, Hubitat etc for just unmonitored basic security alarm.

I just want to be able to arm the system on exit via keypad with delay...siren sound when door/window opened...disarm on entry with a delay using old Iris stuff I listed above. Is this easily done with Hubitat? Thank you!

mojo2600

I have had Hubitat for about 2 weeks now.  I'm slowly adding all of my Iris v2 motions and contact sensors along with my Utilitech Sirens and Leak Detectors.  I also added my First Alert Smoke/Co detectors and Ge light Switches.  Everything paired to Hubitat fine.  I just removed these items from Iris through the app and then opened the Hubitat dashboard and searched for them and they paired with no problems.  When you remove the smoke detectors the iris app tells you how to unpaired them by opening up the battery slot and pushing the test button and then closing it, paired right to Hubitat after I did that.  For the Ge light switches I had to toggle the switch on and off.  There are a few things that I like about Habitat, 1 being the use of the V2 Iris Keypad and being Local Processing.   I also like the fact that the hubitat developers are from Smartthings.   There are a few things that I'm gonna miss about Iris, 1 is Hubitat's hub along with the keypads doesnt alert me if someone opened a contact sensor. ( I have to get a dome siren to be able to do this.) 2, when the alarm is armed and I go downstairs and the motion sensors pick me up, the hub and keypads dont alert either.  The keypads will alert you when armed and a door is opened.  Hubitat is working on a mobile app, no timeline of it being released.  For now, we have to use a dashboard, sort of like the iris app.

20 hours ago, PeteSal said:

I have had Hubitat for about 2 weeks now.  I'm slowly adding all of my Iris v2 motions and contact sensors along with my Utilitech Sirens and Leak Detectors.  I also added my First Alert Smoke/Co detectors and Ge light Switches.  Everything paired to Hubitat fine.  I just removed these items from Iris through the app and then opened the Hubitat dashboard and searched for them and they paired with no problems.  When you remove the smoke detectors the iris app tells you how to unpaired them by opening up the battery slot and pushing the test button and then closing it, paired right to Hubitat after I did that.  For the Ge light switches I had to toggle the switch on and off.  There are a few things that I like about Habitat, 1 being the use of the V2 Iris Keypad and being Local Processing.   I also like the fact that the hubitat developers are from Smartthings.   There are a few things that I'm gonna miss about Iris, 1 is Hubitat's hub along with the keypads doesnt alert me if someone opened a contact sensor. ( I have to get a dome siren to be able to do this.) 2, when the alarm is armed and I go downstairs and the motion sensors pick me up, the hub and keypads dont alert either.  The keypads will alert you when armed and a door is opened.  Hubitat is working on a mobile app, no timeline of it being released.  For now, we have to use a dashboard, sort of like the iris app.

Thank you for the reply and review. So with Hubitat, does the Iris keypads have delayed entry/exit features as in Iris? ST never implemented this in the device type handlers with Iris keypads.

Also, has anyone successfully paired the NYCE door hinge sensors from Iris with Hubitat?

mojo2600

2 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

Thank you for the reply and review. So with Hubitat, does the Iris keypads have delayed entry/exit features as in Iris? ST never implemented this in the device type handlers with Iris keypads.

Also, has anyone successfully paired the NYCE door hinge sensors from Iris with Hubitat?

mojo2600

You can set delays for the keypads through the Safety Monitor app in hubitat.

Well, this is my first day on Hubitat and I sure miss Iris for security. I spent all day and haven't gotten much accomplished on setting up an Iris keypad, siren and contact sensor.

First setting up Hubitat hub and had to reboot it 3 times for it to find my location as it kept coming up with location in China. Finally got it to come up with Arizona (I'm in Texas) and had to scroll the map to finally get to Texas...then the "fun" began trying to set up the 3 devices listed above from Iris.

Not happy with Hubitat for sure at this point...probably will ditch this new Hubitat Hub and just settle on Ring for simple security....will give it another try in a day or so and then if no go, I'm done with Hubitat as I don't have time to play with Hubitat...even ST wasn't this intimidating to me...guess I'm just tired from fooling with this all day...

Iris security is sorely missed!

1 hour ago, mojo2600 said:

Well, this is my first day on Hubitat and I sure miss Iris for security. I spent all day and haven't gotten much accomplished on setting up an Iris keypad, siren and contact sensor.

First setting up Hubitat hub and had to reboot it 3 times for it to find my location as it kept coming up with location in China. Finally got it to come up with Arizona (I'm in Texas) and had to scroll the map to finally get to Texas...then the "fun" began trying to set up the 3 devices listed above from Iris.

Not happy with Hubitat for sure at this point...probably will ditch this new Hubitat Hub and just settle on Ring for simple security....will give it another try in a day or so and then if no go, I'm done with Hubitat as I don't have time to play with Hubitat...even ST wasn't this intimidating to me...guess I'm just tired from fooling with this all day...

Iris security is sorely missed!

After having my Hubitat hub up for a few days, I started my migration tonight, doing about half my Iris stuff, with least important first.  I followed the good advice of un-pairing one thing at a time via the Iris app, then letting the Hubitat hub find the new contact, keypad, switch or sensor, and naming it the same as it was in Iris. Because I knew I was dealing with Zigbee, I made a point of adopting a plug-in switch/repeater that was on a simple schedule as one of the first things.  It went pretty smoothly, I did have to reset the Iris V2 keypads though, but I needed to change batteries anyway.

During the device discovery, I just decided to exit discovery after each device was found to make each discovery session a new  one. I'm not sure if that was noted anywhere, but with my day job recently i had to fix a ZigBee mesh network for a large number of data loggers, and that discovery tool did better if each discovery was a new discovery session. It seemed to work fine, I got 10 devices unpaired, discovered and named in 30 minutes, and played with the local dashboard a bit to see my devices. Because I was working with least import first, I did not have pressure to meet any WAF, and I could learn as I go.  I'll move my security portion of Iris last, as the Habitat forums are working through the problems we Iris orphans are having.

Habitat is different, but the forums are full of people who want to help, and there are other Iris users migrating, and finding ways to make things work.  Give it a few evenings, that's my plan, otherwise, add to my Ring doorbell.  Post here if you decide to get rid of that hub, you may find a buyer pretty quickly.

I was able to pair the devices I've tried but I couldn't get myself to continue to put everything on it with the current interface.  It's like working with a assembly language program.  I was able to set codes for arming and disarming however I never took it further, maybe if they eventually come out with an iOS app and interacting with devices is simplified I might look at it again.  Until then I'm mostly happy with SmartThings.

Yes you're right Terk...Hubitat is like working with assembly language..something at my age I don't care to do...I'll leave that to the young geeks at Hubitat. They sure need an iOS & Android app. It reminds me of the times I wanted to switch to Linux from Windows & trying to get some old favorite programs to work under Linux...been there done that...I'm about to just say to heck with it and stay with ST, Wink for HA & buy Ring for security. Unless I get a good dose of "patience" in the next few days, I'll probably have a fire sale here on my Hubitat hub. LOL.

There is a somewhat steep learning curve, but after getting used to it Hubitat has waaaaay more options to customize your system's behavior than Iris. I guess it is both its blessing and its curse. It was a bit overwhelming at first, especially getting apps to gain capabilities to match light and scheduling automation.

With the exception of a 12 station sprinkler timer and a NYCE door hinge sensor I have been able move all of my devices over to Hubitat and replicate all of my rules and scenes for both HA and security.  The two things that are missing is the phone call when an alarm is triggered and an app for reliable remote access.

Edit:  I just figured out how to setup IFTTT to call my phone when an alarm is triggered so I can scratch that off the list.  Also, I can use TeamViewer for remote access, but an iOS app still would be nice.

4 hours ago, Vettester said:

With the exception of a 12 station sprinkler timer and a NYCE door hinge sensor I have been able move all of my devices over to Hubitat and replicate all of my rules and scenes for both HA and security.  The two things that are missing is the phone call when an alarm is triggered and an app for reliable remote access.

Edit:  I just figured out how to setup IFTTT to call my phone when an alarm is triggered so I can scratch that off the list.  Also, I can use TeamViewer for remote access, but an iOS app still would be nice.

How do you set up the ifttt?

1 hour ago, PeteSal said:

How do you set up the ifttt?

First I added the built-in IFTTT app in Hubitat and configured it so it was using all my devices.  I then setup an IFTT applet that asks Alexa to call my phone.  Lastly I setup another IFTTT Hubitat applet that calls my phone when one of my sirens is triggered.  All of my HSM events are tied to all of my sirens so it should trigger a call if a smoke, leak or security event occurs.

Screen Shot.png

A few weekends ago I spent a few hours getting used to the Hubitat interface and I ended up moving everything from ST and Iris to Hubitat.  I still would like a nice clean app like ST and Iris had as the dashboard idea doesn't scale well on an iPhone and you have to setup a different dashboard for each orientation and screen resolution you have if you want it to look decent.  I really haven't seen the speed improvements that everyone talked about with automations but they aren't really any slower either and as long as everything continues to work if the internet goes down and there is no requirement on Hubitat's cloud I'll be happy as ST cloud had issues too frequently.  Life 360 Geofencing has been 100% reliable on our iPhones so far compared to ST native Geofencing support which worked maybe 90%.  I use OpenVPN to my router for remote access and like Vettester I use IFTTT for phone calls although I have seen it take as long as 15 minutes to call before (I had the same thing setup on ST since they didn't have a call option either).  I only have 1 app still on ST which is Neato Connect (I haven't found an option on Hubitat yet) and I use that to have our vacuums only run when we are away every few days.  And I have 2 devices still on ST not because they aren't supported on Hubitat but because they are a pain to rejoin to a system (Hampton Bay Zigbee fan controllers) so I will tackle these when I have more time.

10 hours ago, Vettester said:

First I added the built-in IFTTT app in Hubitat and configured it so it was using all my devices.  I then setup an IFTT applet that asks Alexa to call my phone.  Lastly I setup another IFTTT Hubitat applet that calls my phone when one of my sirens is triggered.  All of my HSM events are tied to all of my sirens so it should trigger a call if a smoke, leak or security event occurs.

Screen Shot.png

Thank you!