SmartThings experience so far
2 2

11 posts in this topic

This weekend I completed my migration to smartthings and so far I can say I am very pleased.
In one weekend I've already been able to do MUCH more on smartthings than I ever could on iris...
Observations so far:

(1) Pairing devices was pretty much seamless. At the recommendation of others, I set up the v3 hub with the new app, then switched to the classic app for the remainder of my setup.
I had an issue with a few z-wave devices that would not pair at first. I tried excluding them via the iris app, but the only way I could get them to pair was use the exclude function within the smartthings app.

(2) The smart-things brand devices: motion sensors are much more sensitive than the old v1 iris ones I was using. I had to position them differently, but I made them work. The magnetic attachment is pretty slick though... It makes it easy to take them down or adjust the angle.
For the buttons, I like that you can assign different functions to tap, double tap, and hold. I think this might have been possible with the iris v2 buttons, but not with the v1 buttons I was replacing. The contact sensors are also nice because they are "multi-function". They can act as a contact sensor, temperature sensor, vibration sensor, acceleration sensor, or tilt sensor. 

(3) SmartThings devices can trigger routines in alexa. This might get annoying eventually, but I created routines for alexa to speak when doors are open. This could open a lot of other possibilities as well.

(4) Everything seems really stable... I never really had any stability issues with iris though. I moved my hub to a new location after setting up everything and I was afraid all the devices might not come back up, but everything came back pretty quickly.

(5) The first party "smart lighting app" is really flexible and it RUNS LOCALLY. You can do a lot of your automation in this, and I would suggest you do anything you can within this app because it all runs locally. Seems to me that all my lighting rules run instantly... probably because they are not being processed in the cloud. Also, it allows you to create some additional criteria like "only if switch is off" (see next point)

(6) The IDE allows digging into the system at a level not possible with iris... I was afraid it would take some time and there would be a steep learning cure to it, but fortunately what I've done so far was pretty straight forward. One of the cool tricks I came up with is to use a "simulated switch" created in the IDE in order to bypass a rule. For instance, I created a switch called "nap time". All of our bedroom lighting works on motion during normal "awake hours", but depends on this switch being off. If the "nap time switch" is turned on then none of the bedroom motion sensors will trigger lighting. To take this a step further, I enabled a power allowance rule that turns off the nap time switch if it has been on longer than 3 hours. This simulated switch can be turned on via alexa by saying "turn on nap time". It can also be triggered from an alexa routine called "it's nap time" which also has alexa verbally explain that nap time will be enable for 3 hours. I also created a similar setup for bathroom lighting, called "shower time" which gives you longer to take a shower before the lights turn off due to lack of motion.

(7) Actiontiles: I've only started playing with this, but its really cool that I can have a tablet act as a touch screen controller for the entire house... Its a pretty slick setup.

(8) Harmony hub integration: I can now control any of my lighting from my harmony remote and also assign lighting scenes as part of a logitech activity. I can also have my living room tv turn on as party of my "I'm back" routine in smartthings that happens automatically when the first family member arrives home, or it can turn off when the last person leaves if someone has forgot to turn it off (great for the bedroom TV). Speaking of location services...

(9) Life 360 integration: I'm not using presence sensors to trigger home and away modes... my wife and I both use iPhones and I'm finding that the geofencing through life360 works really well. I like how quickly it detects we have left or arrived.

(10) Integration with unsupported devices: Again, this goes back to the IDE, but I've found github projects to integrate with my ring alarm system and nest thermostat which are not natively supported. I've only recently setup the ring alarm integration, so the verdict is still out but it seems to work without any issue. I'm not a big fan of the nst manager smartapp, but at least it gets me some basic integration (thinking about switching to ecobee) It seems that "where there's a will, there's a way" in smartthings. If someone else hasn't figured out how to do it, it's probably because no one has bothered to try.

(11) IFTTT: When all else fails, you can automate things via IFTTT. This opens up a whole slew of possibilities, however I've found very little I couldn't do outside of the built in integrations and/or custom device handlers through the IDE.

(12) Device mirroring: This is something I always wished was available in iris. I have a light switch for outdoor lights that is difficult to get to and I wanted it to turn on and off along with my front porch lights. This was easy to setup in smartthings.

I've only been running smartthings for a few days, but so far I would say I am really happy with the possibilities... and I haven't even gotten into webcore yet. I haven't needed to, but I'm sure that is something I will naturally want to explore in the future.

My experience has been about the same, but I'm a bit behind you in the switchover.   I'm a little frustrated with having to navigate the two apps (I find I need to use both to achieve everything I want to do), and the poor (IMO) execution of event history.  But that's more than evened out by ActionTiles (just got stated with that), and the customization options (have installed a few Smartapps and DH's using the IDE).  Once I get fully transitioned over to ST, I'll go for my WebCoRE badge 😉

I will throw my .02 in here also. ST is a great alternative to IRIS but for us not very tech savvy people who just want things to work out of the box it’s just okay. I really liked the the app set up with IRIS, we live in Washington State and have a house in Arizona. Seeing the history first thing when opening the IRIS app and ease of checking both places was great......a little less convenient than ST and I personally hate the history of every little thing the hub does. Switched over to Arlo cams (which I really like but don’t see much difference than IRIS) viewing in ST sucks I use the Arlo app and that’s a little inconvenient. I had all version 1 door and window sensors and I thought they worked awesome......ST multi sensors use batteries quick so far and the door needs to be open about four inches for it to show open where IRIS could be 1/4 inch and show open (having dogs and kids makes this important to me). I do love the smart door app in ST for changing codes and history in the classic app.....which having to use two apps to accomplish different things suck also. All in all it does what I need though and hopefully as I adjust to it I learn to like it the way I did IRIS.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I find it very difficult to enter a simple schedule, as easy as Iris was. For example, I just recently moved the thermostat (CT101) and Iris smart plug over to ST. In Iris, it's super easy to setup a 7-day program with 4 switching times/day.  But in ST, there's a 5-2 day smart app or the "unlimited customization thermostat" app. To do what I want, I had to use the latter which only provide 1 switching time/day. It takes > 8 different instances of the App to do what Iris can do in one page of schedule. The same thing with the smart plug which need to have 4 switching times/day. Using the smart lightly app, I had to create 4 separate schedules. 

What I like about ST is its community support for a wide variety of cheap devices and development environment. If I have the time, all of the above can be done with custom code.

4 hours ago, GoCougs said:

I had all version 1 door and window sensors and I thought they worked awesome.....

SystronicsRF beta is making real progress with the Gen 1 door sensors. If you haven't already removed them from your doors and windows, you may want to hold off doing so for now.

My biggest complaint about ST is the way all your automation rules are so disjointed into various "smart apps". I feel like they could give us a basic rule engine that takes the place of the smart lighting app as well as various other apps.
Its annoying how I can go into smart lighting and make a lot of the rules I need, but have to jump out and setup one or more instances of another app (such as "button commander", or "notify me when") to accomplish other basic tasks that existed as a built in rule for iris. Its a minor annoyance though, given how powerful the system is overall... More than ever I appreciate the simplicity of iris' rules system, but on the flip side, I can see the inherent weaknesses of such a system now that I'm starting to dive deep into smartthings.

I've been able to solve some of annoying limitations I had in iris using some creative logic and thinking in smartthings that was simply not possible in iris.
I can definitely see where smartthings is a bit more geeky. It seems that iris was more powerful in the hands of "joe consumer", but smartthings is infinitely more customizable in the hands of the tinkerer.
If you look at ST through the eyes of the average consumer, it looks much more limited than iris was, but when you really start digging into it you find that the sky is the limit.

In a couple of weekends I have built out a system that does 99% of what I was doing with iris PLUS about 50% more.... The only reason for the 99% is that I lost integration with my water heater, but I'll let it "take one for the team" in order to get everything else I want out of my system... and I still have a few ideas to play around with when it comes to water heater integration... I just don't know when I'll have the chance to poke around at it.

Something I discovered about the ST smart plugs was that my V1 smart plugs were awesome! I had one on my 4 gallon compressor in the garage that would alert me if it came on (just in case the hose failed, I didn't want it to run to failure) and I had another on my well water pump. Both of these used 1200-1400 Watts and worked flawlessly for many years. Well, the ST smart plug could not handle the load and turned off when the power was on. Luckily, I had a few V2 smart plugs and they seem to be handling the power just fine.

So sad to see all my V1 sensors and plugs now sitting in a box when they were all working so well for so long:(

9 minutes ago, cobra427cable said:

So sad to see all my V1 sensors and plugs now sitting in a box when they were all working so well for so long:(

Well hang on to them.  Looks like you may have options in the future.  I know for a fact they work with the SystonicsRF system, and it looks like others are working on them as well.  

Good write up @Smitho.  My switch over was similar.  For Nest integration you might consider "My Next Manager".  It was a $20 app but did not require setting up a developer account and all of the hassle of the other app.  It just works and was well worth the $20 for the ease of setting up and using.