Consolidated Camera Thread

9 posts in this topic

Sorry to create duplicate threads,  but would be a good idea to create a consolidated camera thread to discuss the options?

I see multiple options;  Specral, Smart Things, etc.  and it's probably best to have the detailed discussions going on in each specific sub-forum,  but I think it would be helpful to have a FAQ/Sticky on what the options are for the Cameras in one place.

For example,  List Compatible Systems:

V1 Camera -  Spectral (video/still)   Smart Things (still only),  etc.,    Blue IRIS ?

V2 Indoor/Outdoor -  Spectral (video/still)   Smart Things (still only),    Blue IRIS ?

V3 (Swann Wireless) - ?

I haven't experimented with the third party camera viewing in quite a while,  but I thought I remember you needing to record the IP,  and I'm wondering if after 3/31 if that won't be available anymore?

Let's discuss the options

Personally,  I'm OK migrating to Ring, Arlo, etc.  for a future cloud based system with a fancy GUI,   however it would be nice if there's a way to at minimum do live viewing via old cameras.

@jeff909 I will help you out here. 

Spectral (Free)

• How it works: It works by letting the camera do most of the work. EX: The camera waits for motion then start recording a video. Once the video is done it uploads it over FTP to the site. The video is then set to your account and you can view it.
  • Problems: Hardware limits of the cameras V2 camera max out at 30 sec clips, V1 are 10sec clips and V3 are not supported. Cool down is locked in at 10 secs.

Smart Things (Needs smart thing hub)

• How it works: It added to smart things as a motion sensor and can fire other devices and you can view images.
  • Problems: Its only stills for right now but in this setup the cameras can be used with other systems too. Does not work with V3 that I know of.

Blue Iris($59.95)

• How it works:  It just uses the cameras as a IP camera and all the work is done on the Blue Iris Server (Windows only) 
  • Problems:  You need a "server" computer for Blue Iris to run on 24/7 and maybe a battery backup (I would) but with this system there is no cool downs and unlimited (hard drive size) recording times. You

iSpy connect (Free for Local viewing only, $7.95 Monthly for remote viewing)

• How it works: Just like Blue Iris it uses your cameras as IP cameras and all work is done on the iSpy server (Windows only)
  • Problems: You will need a server here too. You are not limited on cool downs or recordings. You are limited on the free one with local viewing. 

I hope this helps someone. 

18 hours ago, thegillion said:

@jeff909 I will help you out here. 

Spectral (Free)

• How it works: It works by letting the camera do most of the work. EX: The camera waits for motion then start recording a video. Once the video is done it uploads it over FTP to the site. The video is then set to your account and you can view it.
  • Problems: Hardware limits of the cameras V2 camera max out at 30 sec clips, V1 are 10sec clips and V3 are not supported. Cool down is locked in at 10 secs.

Smart Things (Needs smart thing hub)

• How it works: It added to smart things as a motion sensor and can fire other devices and you can view images.
  • Problems: Its only stills for right now but in this setup the cameras can be used with other systems too. Does not work with V3 that I know of.

Blue Iris($59.95)

• How it works:  It just uses the cameras as a IP camera and all the work is done on the Blue Iris Server (Windows only) 
  • Problems:  You need a "server" computer for Blue Iris to run on 24/7 and maybe a battery backup (I would) but with this system there is no cool downs and unlimited (hard drive size) recording times. You

iSpy connect (Free for Local viewing only, $7.95 Monthly for remote viewing)

• How it works: Just like Blue Iris it uses your cameras as IP cameras and all work is done on the iSpy server (Windows only)
  • Problems: You will need a server here too. You are not limited on cool downs or recordings. You are limited on the free one with local viewing. 

I hope this helps someone. 

Thanks for the summary.

It's too bad the V3 cameras don't work,  they actually were a great camera in my opinion and I have it hard wired/mounted outside.

I installed a Ring doorbell that solves my live video / storage problem,  but because it's pointed straight forward I don't have a great view of the porch (for packages)

I'd be happy in the short term to relocate my indoor/outdoor V2 to my porch and have it simply able to pull still images on demand (but remotely

Sounds like Spectral or Smartthings would work.

Does the Smart Things work with the new app yet?   Or only classic at this time?

Regarding Spectral - When's your estimate for when this will be able to work for everyone?

5 hours ago, jeff909 said:

Thanks for the summary.

It's too bad the V3 cameras don't work,  they actually were a great camera in my opinion and I have it hard wired/mounted outside.

I installed a Ring doorbell that solves my live video / storage problem,  but because it's pointed straight forward I don't have a great view of the porch (for packages)

I'd be happy in the short term to relocate my indoor/outdoor V2 to my porch and have it simply able to pull still images on demand (but remotely

Sounds like Spectral or Smartthings would work.

Does the Smart Things work with the new app yet?   Or only classic at this time?

Regarding Spectral - When's your estimate for when this will be able to work for everyone?

I'd suggest using the classic app for now as the new one still doesn't work with many of the community created Smart apps and DTHs.

For the record, ISpy works fine for no cost remote viewing if you set up a VPN (preferred) or port forwarding on your router.  I did this for years before I moved over to Blue Iris.  Blue Iris requires the same BTW.