Echo Enunciates
2 2

21 posts in this topic

For those of you that do not know, you can have your Echo devices announce door openings and alarm status changes using routines in the Alexa app.  Now when my alarm arms, I receive a notification on all of the Alexa devices that the "Alarm has been armed" or when a door opens "The Patio Door has been opened".  This works great.

Yeah, its nice and you can set the volume first in case someone turned it down so you will still hear it.  I just wish there was a way to have it announce on more than 1 Echo device in that same routine.

2 hours ago, Terk said:

Yeah, its nice and you can set the volume first in case someone turned it down so you will still hear it.  I just wish there was a way to have it announce on more than 1 Echo device in that same routine.

You can and I do.  Make sure that you have your Echo's grouped and do it through messaging > send announcement.  

Since this is in the ST topic area I assume this works with SmartThings only?

Is it possible to set a different volume level for various announcements such that a 'door 1 opened' announcement plays at a lower (or higher) volume than say an alarm or someone calling you using Alexa drop in or intercom functions or your Flash Briefing.

Since this is in the ST topic area I assume this works with SmartThings only?
Is it possible to set a different volume level for various announcements such that a 'door 1 opened' announcement plays at a lower (or higher) volume than say an alarm or someone calling you using Alexa drop in or intercom functions or your Flash Briefing.
Yes in Alex app3ef7faa70736ba7f3dc1be74788ab407.jpg

Iris Who?

1 hour ago, Terminal said:

Has anyone tried this with a GDO, does it work for you?

Both of my GDO's show available as a trigger for this routine.  I will try it when I am at home, but looks like it would work like any other door sensor.

I like that, with announcements, you can pick and choose which devices get the alerts.
I might change my ring motion alerts to happen as alexa announcements so I can keep them from playing in my daughters bedroom.

7 hours ago, rdisom said:

Both of my GDO's show available as a trigger for this routine.  I will try it when I am at home, but looks like it would work like any other door sensor.

I have it set it up but it never makes the announcement.  If I run it manually it works.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, Otto Mation said:

You can and I do.  Make sure that you have your Echo's grouped and do it through messaging > send announcement.  

I have an everywhere group most of my Echo devices in it however, where do I find messaging?

file2.png

file1-1.png

file-4.png

39 minutes ago, Terminal said:

I have it set it up but it never makes the announcement.  If I run it manually it works.

Put a multi sensor on the Garage door and set it as a tilt sensor.  Use that as your trigger.

30 minutes ago, sparc said:

Anyone know if the NYCE tilt sensors work with ST?

I have three, one on each door. They've been working great with Iris. I hope I can continue to use them.

If they are the ZigbeeHA version they should (might) work.  The older gen 1 Zigbee versions will not stay connected.  The SmartThings multi senors are much better.

8 hours ago, Terminal said:

I just tried it and it worked fine.  Although, I'm glad I read @Otto Mation instructions about using messaging.  When I first tried, I was going to use "Alexa Says".

7 hours ago, rdisom said:

I just tried it and it worked fine.  Although, I'm glad I read @Otto Mation instructions about using messaging.  When I first tried, I was going to use "Alexa Says".

I tried it both ways as I was originally using Alexa Says but I switched it to messaging and it still did not work.  I wonder if it's related to the fact my doorbell messaging is no longer working either.  I have an Arlo doorbell and it use to announce someone was at the door on all devices, but I have noticed lately that it is not working now.  It's been low on my priority list lately but I will have to get back to it one of these days.

Had that problem too. Finally disabled the Smartthings skill in Alexa, then re-enabled, then search for devices.

43 minutes ago, howkoss99 said:

Had that problem too. Finally disabled the Smartthings skill in Alexa, then re-enabled, then search for devices.

I will have to try that, thanks

I'd like to see either Alexa or SmartThings come out with an app for the Gear S3 SmartWatch. Would be nice to control devices from the watch connected via Wi-Fi to the hub so no phone required.