Don't throw away your V1 devices just yet!
5 5

31 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

No guarantees, but check this out!  Very encouraging but still only in the lab right now!

Nothing SystronicsRF isn't already doing with almost all V1 devices. They only have a few left to profile and they will be supporting all V1 & V2 devices.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.41.08 PM.png

10 hours ago, awraynor said:

Hubitat users certainly are proponents of the hub and this is straight from Hubitat. 

The beta was released aboout an hour ago.  I was able to successfully pair a V1 contact sensor and have it read temperature, contact, and battery status.  Seems weird to be handling these devices after being away for 3 years.

I've been traveling all day so I'm not really going to do much more testing tonight.

49 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

The beta was released aboout an hour ago.  I was able to successfully pair a V1 contact sensor and have it read temperature, contact, and battery status.  Seems weird to be handling these devices after being away for 3 years.

I've been traveling all day so I'm not really going to do much more testing tonight.

I have a ST v3 hub in the laundry room that is unopened. I'm starting to look at Hubitat instead. I'm also trying to get them on a podcast with me as a possible co-host.

1 hour ago, IrisUsers said:

Yeah buddy, I'm pairing a few iris sensors, v1 motion paired now doing some v1 contacts. 

10 hours ago, awraynor said:

I have a ST v3 hub in the laundry room that is unopened. I'm starting to look at Hubitat instead. I'm also trying to get them on a podcast with me as a possible co-host.

The only significant advantages of ST over Hubitat is that they have an app and deep integration with Arlo, Ring, and of course their appliances. And you can recreate some of that through IFTTT or Alexa. 

Just one of the Hubitat devs built the drivers and he started working on V1 device less than 2 weeks ago. He already has the Button, Fob, Motion, Contact, and SmartPlug complete.  Just the keypad and senior pendant are left.  

Hubitat is doing it all this on the same single radio stick. Considering how long Systronics has been working on trying to support these, it’s an impressive accomplishment imo. 

Definitely impressive but also keep in mind the dev didn't have to develop and entire platform like SystronicsRF. Not trying to take anything away from them but SystronicsRF has more on their plate to develop. 

What I do find odd is that this V1 integration took so long. Years ago when we were forced to the new hub so many people wanted to switch to ST but since no one could make the sensors work not as many people made the switch. Even when Lowe's was blowing these out no one could figure out how to get them working. Glad they did as more options help us all!

Actually, several people have figured out how to get the V1 devices working using some Python code and a rPi.  That was 5 years ago, and that data is widely available on the internet.  The likely reason why the Samsungs or Veras of the world didn’t pursue this is because the V1 products represented a minuscule percentage of HA devices on the market it was not worth the dev effort.  

Hubitat absolutely had to develop their entire platform, it wasn’t given to them.  Hubitat has been on the market for a year now.  The Systronics guys have been at it over a year too.  Over a year ago they claimed to have developed this software that was compatible with V1 devices.

From the thread Don’t throw away your devices, dated March 8th, 2018.

We have developed hub software to control AlertMe devices. It handles motion sensors, door / window sensors, alarm detectors, key fobs, buttons, smart plugs, smart meter, power clamp, and Mathmos & Beacon lamps. It also handles the Hive Mk1 thermostat and receiver.

So, it’s taken them a year to support these devices, despite claiming a year ago they already did.  Aside from the dubious nature of the claim.  Hubitat did it in less than 2 weeks and without the need for a second radio stick...  Yeah, it’s a very impressive accomplishment, and certainly demonstrates how strong the engineering team behind Hubitat is.

Could someone comment on 1 vs 2 radio sticks.  Off the top of my head, wouldn't 1 radio stick be half the speed of using 2 radio sticks.  1 stick would have to keeps switching frequencies, thus half the speed or does it really make a difference.

1 hour ago, IrisUsers said:

Actually, several people have figured out how to get the V1 devices working using some Python code and a rPi.  That was 5 years ago, and that data is widely available on the internet.  The likely reason why the Samsungs or Veras of the world didn’t pursue this is because the V1 products represented a minuscule percentage of HA devices on the market it was not worth the dev effort.  

Hubitat absolutely had to develop their entire platform, it wasn’t given to them.  Hubitat has been on the market for a year now.  The Systronics guys have been at it over a year too.  Over a year ago they claimed to have developed this software that was compatible with V1 devices.

From the thread Don’t throw away your devices, dated March 8th, 2018.

So, it’s taken them a year to support these devices, despite claiming a year ago they already did.  Aside from the dubious nature of the claim.  Hubitat did it in less than 2 weeks and without the need for a second radio stick...  Yeah, it’s a very impressive accomplishment, and certainly demonstrates how strong the engineering team behind Hubitat is.

I think you are missing my point. I am not saying that the Hubitat platform wasn't developed by them, what I am saying is that the person who developed support for gen 1 devices didn't also have to develop the platform at the same time. Again I am not taking away from the achievement, just trying to put it in perspective with what SystronicsRF is up against. They are not only beta testing gen 1 devices but also troubleshooting platform software. I agree they have been at it a while but only a short time with external users.