So, You want Alexa to Announce Alarm Modes?

3 posts in this topic

Alexa devices will announce the status change of a contact sensor.  The way to get that translated to alarm modes is as follows.  Set up a virtual or simulated switch on your system.  Go to the following page and copy and set up the device handler on your system:  https://github.com/bjpierron/SmartThings-Alexa/blob/master/devicetypes/bjpierron/simulated-alexa-switch.src/simulated-alexa-switch.groovy

Change the device handler on your virtual switch to use the newly set up device handler.  Alexa will now see your switch as a contact sensor.  Have your routines that set the alarm mode turn the switch off for one mode and on for the other.  You can then set up your voice command just like you did for your door contact sensors in this thread: Echo Enunciates

Here is how I set mine up.  The Good morning routine turns the virtual switch off which makes the virtual contact sensor close.  I have my Alexa devices announce "Alarm set to off" upon that event.  Then I have the Night routine turn the virtual switch on which makes the virtual switch open.  Upon open this happening, Alexa announces" Alarm set to Armed".

I know it doesn't matter since it's a virtual switch but why use close to represent OFF and open for ON?

Seems the reverse of how a real switch works. Is there a need to reverse the logic for some reason?

On 3/18/2019 at 4:10 AM, sparc said:
I know it doesn't matter since it's a virtual switch but why use close to represent OFF and open for ON? Seems the reverse of how a real switch works. Is there a need to reverse the logic for some reason?

Well you can use either, I just set mine up that way. Seemed to me that a closed sensor for off or no alarm was logical to me thinking about it from a contact sensor standpoint. Plus that is how the Device handler works.  When the switch is off the virtual contact is closed.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk