SystronicsRF vs Hubitat
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Curious if there are any SystronicsRF beta testers who also have experience with Hubitat.

Assuming that Hubitat might also eventually get the IRIS Gen 1 devices to work, which platform would you recommend and why?

Looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say, thanks!

I'm not a beta tester for SystronicsRF but wanted to comment on Hubitat. A week or so ago I was ready to sell my new Hubitat hub at a fire sale price and go with Ring for security as I have Wink & ST for HA. I'm so glad I didn't now. I finally rolled up my sleeves and gave Hubitat another go and actually RTFM helped a little too. :)

I now have Hubitat up and running as a great security system...granted it's not pro monitored like Ring..I do have 4 ring doorbells gen 2 but never have been happy with Ring products even when I had gen 1 Rings. I didn't  like the big sensors Ring has...I used my hidden NYCE hinge sensors for doors, small Iris contacts for windows, keypads, Halo+ & First Alerts from Iris...installed Pushover, safety monitor, lock code manager..etc...FINALLY got all working & figured out.

I even now plan to migrate Wink & ST devices to Hubitat as well as my Nest Protects & Thermostats...I now look at Hubitat with a whole new & refreshed attitude. Hubi's biggest problem is they need a user friendly app because it can intimidate many first time users migrating from Iris. I really think Hubitat will be the one that gets Iris gen 1 devices going even though I have none of these as I sold them all on here when gen 2 came out a few years ago.

As we all know, the smart home biz can change in the blink of an eye....where Hubitat, SystronicsRF, Ring, Wink, ST & others will be this time next year is anyone's guess...who knows what system I'll be with next year...for now Hubitat has satisfied me once I took a dose of patience. :)

There will be "fall outs & washouts" in the market once Iris goes down 03-31 & we wake up to a post-Iris world the next day...April Fool's Day 2019 will be a rather interesting one for sure...we'll still be reeling from the effects next year.

mojo

Well the benefit of Hubitat or Systronics is everything is local. So even if they fold you still have a working ecosystem. Granted it might not grow and if a part fails you could be SOL, it won't be like Iris where the hub becomes a paper weight.

That's the reason I've kept my Hubitat hub, once they release an app where it is hopefully easier to control devices than the existing web interface, and after a few more web devices become supported, I'm hoping to eventually migrate from SmartThings so I don't have to worry about the back end going down.  They've made a lot of progress as far as web connected devices like Sonos from when I first bought it but the interface hasn't changed much at all yet.

I'm not a beta tester for SysRF but I wish them the best of luck..  Competition is good!

I do own both Hubitat and SmartThings hubs.  I learned a long time ago after the V2 debacle not to strongly advocate on behalf of a corporation therefore I will not make a direct recommendation, but state my opinion simply in facts..   Hubitat is a shipping product and has been on the market for over a year.    Hubitat supports almost 300 devices natively, out of the box.  It is also backwards compatible with most device drivers (DTH's) and apps (SmartApps) from SmartThings further expanding the breadth of devices and automation capabilities.  If those things are important, than it's absolutely worth a look.

The new Dashboard that just came out, while still not a substitute for an app, closes that gap just a little further, IMO.

Thanks everyone. There is another post that indicates Hubitat has had success getting the Gen 1 devices paired. When considering the potential costs for SystronicsRF as compared to Hubitat and if they both support Gen 1 devices, then Hubitat seems like the way to go.

2 hours ago, Philips21 said:

. . . and if they both support Gen 1 devices . . .

That's the big question. At this point, SRF appears to be a lot closer to the finish line regarding integration of Gen 1 devices.

34 minutes ago, pavalov said:

That's the big question. At this point, SRF appears to be a lot closer to the finish line regarding integration of Gen 1 devices.

I'm a beta tester for hubitat.  V1 contacts, motions and smart plugs up and running.

9 hours ago, pavalov said:

I wouldn't say that..  Hubitat has just released update 2.0.8 to all hubs introducing device support for the following devices

• Iris V1 Button
  • Iris V1 Contact Sensor
  • Iris V1 Key Fob
  • Iris V1 Motion Sensor
  • Iris V1 Outlet

They will be releasing Senior Pendant and Keypad support in the near future as they were only recently provided those devices.

12 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

I wouldn't say that..  Hubitat has just released update 2.0.8 to all hubs introducing device support for the following devices

• Iris V1 Button
  • Iris V1 Contact Sensor
  • Iris V1 Key Fob
  • Iris V1 Motion Sensor
  • Iris V1 Outlet

They will be releasing Senior Pendant and Keypad support in the near future as they were only recently provided those devices.

So I can buy a Hubitat hub right now and get those five V1 devices going before the March 31st shutdown?

Any idea if they will be providing support for the IRIS camera and the two different versions of the NYCE Tilt Sensor as well ?

Edited by Philips21
Adding NYCE tilt sensor

No camera support that I'm aware of currently, but yes those devices will work if you bought a hub now and update it to 2.0.8 or later if it didn't ship with that version.

3 hours ago, Philips21 said:

Any idea if they will be providing support for the IRIS camera and the two different versions of the NYCE Tilt Sensor as well ?

All of those devices listed today work today.  As far as the cameras, don't count on them ever being supported.  There are much newer options on the market that I can see being supported first, but you never know.

As far as the Nyce sensors, those should work today.  I have several connected now.

Working on setting up Hubitat today. Not as foolproof as I had expected, but have thermostats, motion sensors, leak detectors, all but 1 smoke/co detector, smart plugs, garage door openers operating. Haven't tried irrigation yet, but I don't think it's going to work. I see it pretty much as tweaking your router. 

After being involved in the SystronicsRF beta for over a month I have opted to move on.  In my opinion there are still a lot of bugs that need to be worked out, but the main reason for me leaving was due to of lack of support for some of my key devices mainly locks, thermostats and garage door openers.  I have no doubt that SRF will be able to support these devices in the near future, but progress weren't moving as fast as I would have liked so I decided to go try Hubitat. 

Comparing some of the key functionality of the two systems I would say they both have their strongpoints, but IMHO Hubitat wins hands down overall.  Below are some highlights of my observations in comparing the two systems.

• Iris V1 Device Compatibility - Both systems have V1 device support to an extent.  SRF have been focusing on V1 device support so they may be ahead in this area, but HE has made significant progress in a short amount of time so I'm sure they will catch up.  SRF has support for the V1 keypad and HE does not, however I think HE will catch up in the near future.  SRF is working on re-enabling the sound functionality within the V1, but with HE you can use text-to-speak and have Alexa announce when a door is open which I think is a much better option.  SRF is also planning on supporting V1 cameras while HE does not support any type of camera. 
  • Pairing Devices -  This process was much easier with Hubitat.  With the exception of door locks, HE recommends paring devices in place while SRF recommends completing this process with the device in close proximity to the hub.  I have several Zigbee devices outside in my yard which I was able to pair with the HE hub without having to move them.  With SRF these devices had to be moved inside before they would pair with the hub.  I did have some issues pairing several GE Z-wave switches, fans and outlets on HE.  I found out later that this was caused by the SRF removal process.  Apparently they were not totally excluded when I removed them so HE could not identify the device.  To resolve this I had to power up my SRF hub and use their reset Z-wave tool.  As of last door locks were not compatible with SRF so I can't speak to the pairing process for these, but I can tell you that with HE the locks had to be next to the hub to pair properly.
  • Rule Engine - Both systems have a far more advanced rule engine than Iris ever had which some may have difficulty understanding.  SRF's rule engine is designed with an IFTTT type concept which provides the ability to create just about anything you can imagine.  HE has the same capability, but it also lets you create virtual devices which provides a lot more flexibility.
  • User Interface - Both of these systems use a browser based UI.  HE's UI is far more advanced than SRF.  HE provides the ability to create custom apps and use custom drivers which adds a ton of functionality.  Neither system has an Android or iOS app.  HE has the ability to create "Dashboards" that you can use on a mobile device, but these are geared more towards Android devices.  I use iOS and the dashboards on an iPhone/iPad are visually clunky to say the least.  SRF on a mobile device worked well, but in my opinion, they need to tone down the configurable color scheme.
  • Integration - I'm not sure where SRF is going with integration, but I can say that as of right now HE is light years ahead.  So far I have been able to integrate Blue Iris, Harmony and my Sony TV into HE along with support for IFTTT.

I have had my Hubitat system up for over a week now and can say that it is by far more advanced than SRF. 

11 hours ago, Vettester said:

I use iOS and the [Hubitat] dashboards on an iPhone/iPad are visually clunky to say the least.  SRF on a mobile device worked well, but in my opinion, they need to tone down the configurable color scheme.

In contrast to Vett's views,I think the color scheme in SRF is one of its advantages in comparison to the crude appearance of the Hubitat system. I have not liked the screen shots I've seen of the Hubitat web browser UI, or dashboards, or whatever they call the interfaces. The SRF interface seems much more polished and well thought out from a user perspective. With SRF, each device has a picture of the device itself, along with text describing where the device is (both as to the room and location within the room).  Devices are sorted by room and floor level, and each room of the house can be designated with different colors so that finding a particular device within a list is quicker visually. This is probably more easily shown than described:

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.4bdf52974956977dca0f36cf507ccf37.jpg

That said, I agree with Vett that they have not yet developed profiles for some key devices: deadbolts, thermostats and garage door openers. There also continue to be some glitches with rules firing and devices falling off. They are aware of the problems and have an update scheduled for tomorrow. I'm hopeful about SRF (but continue to watch the Hubitat discussions with interest). One reason I'm sticking with the SRF beta is that, as mentioned by Vett, they plan to incorporate the Iris cameras. Since unlike some others I continued to rely on Iris for camera monitoring rather than going to an alternative system, I've got a strong interest in salvaging my current nine camera installation.

I don't think having the ability to color code locations is a bad idea, I just didn't like the predefined color choices..  In my opinion they just need to make the color pallet more configurable.  Here's a screenshot of the device list in HE along with a basic dashboard.  You also have the option of color coding the background of the tiles on the dashboard.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 6.16.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 6.12.57 AM.png

22 hours ago, Vettester said:

So far I have been able to integrate Blue Iris, Harmony and my Sony TV into HE along with support for IFTTT.

Can I ask what integration you are using for Blue Iris integration? I've tried BI Control and while it changes my profiles correctly when my Hubitat changes modes the profiles will disable on their own.  I think it is likely a scheduling issue on my BI server but it has never been an issue in the past but I did update the BI server shortly before switching control over to Hubitat.  I switched back to the BI Fusion 3.0 app on ST and which is where I've been using it for the last year without issue and the issue happened there now as well.  Even if I turn them both off and manually switch it will eventually disable all the profiles on its own, although my profile 1 seems to be the worst.  My schedule is disabled so I'm not sure where to look.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Terk said:

Can I ask what integration you are using for Blue Iris integration?

I'm using BI Control, but not to control my profiles.  Profiles are changed using the BI global schedule option and presence is controlled through geofencing using my phone.

BI Profiles.PNG   Schedules.PNG