vera hub goes offline?

5 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if my router is playing tricks with the hub or the hub is getting confused.  1st time - i'd call it a glitch, 2nd time in a month - maybe something is going on.

It's sitting on a 2nd router behind my main router (where iris still is, I need to switch positions).

I can access hub locally when it's offline connecting to the router with the app. Never appears to reconnect.  1st time was out for 2.5 days until I power cycled, 2nd time was 6 hours when I woke up today.

If anyone else has the issue - note here.

I just wanted to update this post - found a bad cat 5e cable from switch to router. 

Had massive problems last week.  Hub offline, wouldn't come back online.  Power cycled vera, back online. Till it got knocked off again.

Laptop ethernet which is wired to that switch finally went dead.  OK - switch or HUB.  Power cycled router/hub several times, came back once.

Noticed wifi to router was working, moved Vera hub to a WiFi extender and plugged it in there.. boom - back online - 20+ notifications in the next minute.

Played around with switches some more - swapped them, the one that wasn't working was, and the other one was no longer.

Replaced ethernet line to switch - everything working again!

The odd thing is that switch and line hasn't moved at all to have a problem from being bent/kinked, so I didn't expect it to just happen out of no where.

Now that I've moved the hub to my main router in the place my IRIS hub was - it has now done pretty much the same kind of stuff.

Sunday 1:05pm- hub went offline, came back online 1 minute later.

Monday 1:04pm - hub went offline, would not come back online.  local access with keypad.

Power cycled it 7:30pm, back online.

So it managed 15 days or so before going down. 

Location, location, location.

Recently I got a new router and during the course of setting it up I placed it in more or less the same spot as the previous one, which was on the top shelf of a wire rack shelving system in the basement in the center of the house. Wife didn't want to look at that "thing" upstairs in the living space and there was no good spot for it anyway near the center of the house. So when I set up our home Wi-fi years ago I put it in the basement. But we always had problems connecting with various devices (phones, laptops, etc.) in certain spots.

When I setup the new router I used a Wi-Fi analyzer app to see the signal in each room. I found out that my HVAC duct was blocking the signal to  various areas and when I moved the router to a lower shelf on the rack it was able to get a better 'view' of those dead spaces and signal levels improved greatly. Sometimes I am thick as a brick I guess. Once I saw it and correlated the dead spots by drawing a straight line between the location in the house and the router I realized what was happening but all that time with the old router I never thought about the ductwork blocking the signal. I didn't think it was large enough for the signal to work around but it DID make a difference when I moved the router, just 2 feet lower gave it an improved path to the whole house.

Once the light bulb went off I thought about my connectivity issues with Iris and Z-Wave devices and wondered if it might be the same issue. But I looked at the location of the Iris hub and the problem devices and didn't see anything that blocked or interfered with the signal, and repeating through nearby Z-Wave devices should have minimized any such interference or blockage.

Hmm, I'm not losing any device connections.

The hub is hardwired to the main router.

The hub itself goes off line, and 24 hours later, repeats - and never comes back online. 

There's a bug of sorts internally IMHO.

I'm going to have to bypass the lithium power supply adapter I bought for it, and get a Kasa Wifi power plug for the hub so I can at least power cycle it when I'm not here.

And no, I did NOT lose internet either - my stock applications would have shown a disconnect from the internet, and they remained solidly connected and were receiving data. 

I need to go check out the vera forums and see if this is common.