SmartThings and GE Z-wave devices
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I removed all my GE Z-Wave (not the newer Z-Wave Plus) devices from Iris yesterday and received no errors when doing so. They have all been working great for the past 8 months under Iris. No drop outs or lost connections like I used to have a couple years ago. Figures now that Iris is going away everything would be working great.

Anyway I was hopeful that this meant an uneventful experience when adding them to my ST V2 hub. However that is not the case. Of the 10 GE device I have only one paired up with the ST hub with no problem, none of the others have I been able to pair so far. I have a Aeon MiniMote which you can take to a device in the field and use to add it to the network, but it does not work for the GE Z-Wave devices.

I've also had difficulty in adding my First Alert ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO detectors to ST. I've only attempted to join two of the five so far but no success with any of them using either the MiniMote or taking the detectors to the same room as the ST Hub to perform the assimilation.

I have most of the instruction sheets for the GE devices, I found that ST has a number of them on their support site and I had a couple I had downloaded from the Iris site a while back. But following the directions to pair them has not helped either.

So my question (which I have a good idea what the answer will be) is anyone else having problems or been able to add GE Z-Wave (not the newer Z-Wave Plus) devices to their ST system?

I have several of the older GE Z-wave devices paired to my ST system.  But they have been paired for quite some time, about 6 months now, I switched to ST a few years ago.  I just had to re-pair because I moved all my devices to a new house.  I am not sure some of the recent firmware updates have not screwed things up.  I also have 4 V2 Smart plugs currently on my system.  I just got the rest of the furniture in the new house so I have 3 more I now want to pair but none of them will.  I realize these are Zigbee, but I had no problem pairing the first 4 five months or so ago, also all these plugs use to paired to the ST hub.  Every one of these plugs will pair to the Iris Hub, they will also pair to a Echo Plus, and to the Systronic RF hub.  They will not pair to ST, however  I can get them reset and they start blinking slowly which means they are in pairing mode and, using the classic app, I click add a thing and then they almost immediately blink fast for about a second or two and stop, this means it paired,  ST never finds the device  

I say all this because they just released a update to an update because the previous update caused issues with Z-wave devices, so might want to make sure your hub updated.  I think it's 25.26

I removed all my GE Z-Wave (not the newer Z-Wave Plus) devices from Iris yesterday and received no errors when doing so. They have all been working great for the past 8 months under Iris. No drop outs or lost connections like I used to have a couple years ago. Figures now that Iris is going away everything would be working great.
Anyway I was hopeful that this meant an uneventful experience when adding them to my ST V2 hub. However that is not the case. Of the 10 GE device I have only one paired up with the ST hub with no problem, none of the others have I been able to pair so far. I have a Aeon MiniMote which you can take to a device in the field and use to add it to the network, but it does not work for the GE Z-Wave devices.
I've also had difficulty in adding my First Alert ZSMOKE and ZSMOKE+CO detectors to ST. I've only attempted to join two of the five so far but no success with any of them using either the MiniMote or taking the detectors to the same room as the ST Hub to perform the assimilation.
I have most of the instruction sheets for the GE devices, I found that ST has a number of them on their support site and I had a couple I had downloaded from the Iris site a while back. But following the directions to pair them has not helped either.
So my question (which I have a good idea what the answer will be) is anyone else having problems or been able to add GE Z-Wave (not the newer Z-Wave Plus) devices to their ST system?

Most of my GE switches are the older ones. I had a little trouble with a couple of them, but most paired quickly with no trouble. I removed the from Iris with the hub in same room. In fact I removed all devices one room at a time. I first paired all of them to Wink and ran that for a couple weeks. Then I did the same to remove from Wink. Took hub to each room, removed all devices in that room. Took SmartThings hub to that room and paired each device. I removed each device and then also performed z-wave reset with either hub just to have a second verification that it was reset. They paired much quicker to SmartThings then either Iris or Wink hubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also had a few finicky GE wall switches.  All had been removed from Iris, some paired without issue, others not so much.  What worked for me was to force exclude each of these problematic switches, I was then able to successfully pair each of them immediately.  

Hmmm, I had no problems when I removed them from the Iris hub. The hub was less than 15 feet away from almost all the GE devices and I could hear the hubs' double beep as each one was removed. I did not need to force remove any of them. For the in-wall switches I guess I could try bringing the ST hub in close proximity to the switch and see if that helps but I doubt it. And for the plug in devices that I have tried to pair in the same room as my ST hub I don't know what else to try. I've done the forced reset from the device as outlined in the instruction sheet but they still do not pair.

I also have two of the newer plug in outdoor switches. These are the Wi-Fi/BT switches that you first pair to your phone then join to your Wi-Fi network. They worked great and at longer distances than the Z-Wave models, but I don't see a way to add a Wi-Fi switch to ST. Is it possible?

After removing from Iris, I had to use the Smartthings app to exclude almost all of my Zwave devices before they would pair.  Most of the devices are older GE zwave switches.  -Jim C

I know you are trying to add detectors to ST but i too had problens adding them to ring. I factory reset by holding test button down pushing battery drawer in then holding button for 10 seconds until a loud long beep. I then had to pull battery drawer back out wait a few minutes, push battery in while holding test button in until short beep(s) and it added immediately.

6 hours ago, sparc said:

How do you exclude something from a group that it was never included in?

I don't know the exact protocol of what it does but the Z-wave exclude process does not seem to be hub dependent.  It basically removes it from any previous pairing which you would think a device reset would do, but sometimes it helps.  

Something else you might try is a power reset, if you haven't already.  The paddle switches have a tab you can pull, but you will have to flip the breaker for the toggles.

I thought of this because I had to re-pair one of mine last night and it took a power reset before it would pair.

Like terminal said,

The exclusion means basically your clearing the hub information on the device you push the join button on at the moment, it can be done from any hub that has this capability regardless if it was ever joined to it before.

With GE switches the join button is the on button, with Aeon micro switches you toggle the switch fast 10 times to remove and 3 times fast to join, many devices have an obvious button, like the Iris Garage Door Controller, EcoLink Z-Wave door/window sensors for both un-join and join you have to remove the battery, put it back in and hold the tiny button or put the lid back on.

8 hours ago, IrisWhat? said:

I know you are trying to add detectors to ST but i too had problens adding them to ring. I factory reset by holding test button down pushing battery drawer in then holding button for 10 seconds until a loud long beep. I then had to pull battery drawer back out wait a few minutes, push battery in while holding test button in until short beep(s) and it added immediately.

Thanks everyone, I'll give all those suggestions a try.

I had 4 of 9 of my GE Switches and Outlets pair without problems.  The other 5 needed to be "Removed from the Z-Wave network" three to eight times before they would pair with my ST v3 hub.  Now they're all working great.

I have 5 First Alert Smoke and Combo detectors, 4 of them paired without issue, the last one required the multiple removal thing before it would pair as well. 

On the V3 hub, for whatever reason, I have had better luck pairing devices with the new App than the old one.   With the V2 hub (at another location) the old app pairs better.  

Good luck!

SO I have followed everyone's advice and been able to remove some of the GE devices then pair them with ST, but others, namely all 5 of my First Alert ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO detectors not yet.

I also have a Honeywell Wi-Fi T-stat that I picked up about a year ago and never installed under Iris. It is one that was labeled as 'Works with Iris'. I went o install it and the problem I have is my current stat (which is I believe a Honeywell but Branded as American Standard TH9321U1022) does not have a C wire, and the new Honeywell says it must have the C wire and if not then it won't work without some modification to the wiring.

I have a heat pump with boiler as aux heat source if that makes a difference. I see a jumper from R to RC but there is no terminal labeled as C. If RC is the same as C then I think I am good, but I don't want to chance damaging the stat or my heat pump control system.

20190203_115837.jpg

RC is power for the cooling side RH or R in this case would be power to the heating side.  Since the two are exclusive (you wouldn't be able to heat and cool at the same time they can be jumped like you have currently but I think if you jumped that to your C terminal also it might cause problems.

Thanks, I guess I should look at the other end of that cable too, just to see what's landed where.

It's a heat pump not AC only so the same unit provides cooling and heat but it's programmed to swap over 
to the boiler at 40°F for the heat source which uses a coil in the supply duct downstream of the air handler.