Hopefully Keypad support soon, maybe?

4 posts in this topic

Here is a hopeful sounding excerpt from s.t. support I received, after reporting being absolutely shocked that no keypad from any manufacturer, works with s.t., without a community device handler(other than ADT's and requiring ADT's hub as well).

I'm a recent iris convert, and I expressed to them " I'm really happy other devices are working but I was shocked there was no keypad support at all, and said I would buy 3 today, if they would sell them even for just piece of mind".  I'm a recent iris convert, that is why you see them mention the iris keypad.

”In regards to your recent inquiry, we are unfortunately not compatible with the any keypad and in specifics the Iris keypad. We have however received numerous requests for these devices to be made compatible so we have sent these requests to our product and development team to see if they can hopefully make these devices compatible in the future. As of right now, there isn't a way to add them to SmartThings and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We want to make this a smooth transition for Iris users so we are trying to make as many devices compatible as possible."

That would be great especially since it was Lowes/iris that recommended Iris users move to SmartThings. This would lead me to believe there must have been some communication between the two before the pending shutdown announcement was public knowledge. And since Lowes already carries ST in their stores, sort of self-serving (nothing wrong with trying to retain customers as opposed to pushing them to other sellers when viewed from Lowes perspective).

I have three V1 keypads, which I think are nicer than the V2, and I hope in some future system to be able to make use of them.

The only problem you'll run into with ST using community created apps and drivers is they won't run locally although many sensors that work with the included drivers will so if you arm the system and come home to the internet down you will have no way to disarm the system so if they get the keypads working using native drivers in a coming firmware release it may be worth switching to use the native even if you loose a few extra features the community drivers provide.  Locks don't matter so much unless you use them unlocking to disarm your system as the keypads on them will continue to unlock the door either way but the Iris keypads will be useless without internet.