NOTICE! for V1 Iris wifi smart plugs

17 posts in this topic

I think that's a V2 wifi plug (no hub required). I had two of those for remotely powercycling the Iris hubs. They make nice paperweights now. The V1 plugs also paperweights - no response to the local button. 

I have a couple of the Jasco Wi-fi outdoor plugs. They worked great with Iris.

You had to connect to them with the Iris app on your phone using BT then they were set to connect to your home Wi-Fi by the app.

Now that Iris is gone I can't get them to do anything.

3 hours ago, sparc said:

I have a couple of the Jasco Wi-fi outdoor plugs. They worked great with Iris.

You had to connect to them with the Iris app on your phone using BT then they were set to connect to your home Wi-Fi by the app.

Now that Iris is gone I can't get them to do anything.

Looks like you could download the MyTouch app from Jasco and control them through Alexa integration:

https://www.gearbrain.com/mytouch-smart-wifi-plugs-review-2622282998.html

On 4/4/2019 at 12:39 PM, Terk said:

The v1 Zigbee plugs supposedly work on Hubitat.  I don't have a v1 plug so I haven't tried it.

V1's work on hubitat,  I can confirm.  I am using 2.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, thegillion said:

840236116980.jpg

This plug has a software watchdog in it and will reboot every few hours now that the iris server are down. There is nothing that can be done to turn off the watchdog just remove this plug.

Wasn't that obvious on 4/1 when they all went dead?

53 minutes ago, ryat2016 said:

Wasn't that obvious on 4/1 when they all went dead?

The warning is because the plug can exhibit undesired behavior during reboot that may affect anything plugged into it.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, ryat2016 said:

Why??

Because there is no app to connect to them and sync up with the hub.

Initially you connect to the switch by Bluetooth using the Iris app on your phone, then the
switch is passed the information for you homes' Wi-Fi (SSID & PASS) so it can connect.
From there the hub connects to the switch and BT is out of the picture.

At least that is how I understood it to work. If I'm wrong please explain how they did operate.

Here is my understanding of how the WiFi plugs work--  (no bluetooth involved)

In pairing mode the plug acts as a WiFi access point -- the master of a WiFi network (For example one of my plugs: Iris Smart Plug 61EA).  Your phone, via the Iris app disconnects from your home Wifi network, and connects to the plug's network.  The Iris app then asks you for your WiFi SSID and password that it then sends to the plug (I can see this much in the arcus SW). It must also send some sort of credentials for access to your Iris account. 

Once the plug has the network credentials, it shuts off it's own network, and connects to your home Wifi network -- giving it access to the internet.  It can then contact the Iris cloud platform to register as a device as part of your home Iris system.  At the same time your Iris phone app connects back to your home WiFi.  According to the arcus IPCD spec, the plug either opens up a web socket or an outgoing HTTP connection to the cloud platform.  From then on, communications are handled similarly to the way the hub and platform communicate.

I am hoping for hacking purposes that the Iris app also sends along a URL/IP address for the plug to contact the Iris cloud platform.  That way I might be able to get the plug to connect with a copy of arcus code that I/we might run to get the plug functional again.  My eyes glaze over each time I try to unravel a bit of the arcus code.  The vagaries of phone app code make the sequencing of events rather well obfuscated to say the least.  If any of you out there have any pointers to documentation of any of the underlying java/library code that arcus uses I would be quite grateful.....

My bad....  I have the indoor plugs -- as pictured in theGillion's original post in this topic.  Who knew they would be implemented completely differently!?!?!

I know, strange right, but probably because they were sourced from different suppliers.

The reason I mentioned the GL08_2 is because I was thinking they might have the same
problem as the indoor switch, but since they get paired in a different manner maybe not.