Late to the party ...
3 3

10 posts in this topic

I figured I'd deal with "life without Iris" after it was dead and gone, not realizing that unpairing devices before Iris was gone would be a good thing.  Many of you are head and shoulders way above and beyond my DIY abilities.

So I've got a ton of V1 motion sensors in a bag, batteries all removed.  Are they all little paperweights now?

Same with a bunch of V1 door contacts.  I used them for their intended purpose on five perimeter doors of course, but also stuck them in my freezers to keep tabs and alert me on local temps.  Paperweights too?

Two indoor V1 cameras and two V1 outdoor cameras now staring blankly into space.

And three RadioThermostat thermostats, now merely mortal devices with no superpowers.  Loved that I could be away for two weeks in the summer and not cool cool the house as much, and start things cooling down the day before I came home.

I've done some due diligence before I climb back on the horse, and I'm leaning toward Hubitat.  I really do like that it's not cloud-dependant. But I don't see that I can remotely control the heat and A/C through it.  That's important to me.

I'm fine with implementing two or more solutions if that's what's needed to accomplish basic security and automation goals.

So many choices, grasshopper.

7 minutes ago, synack said:

I figured I'd deal with "life without Iris" after it was dead and gone, not realizing that unpairing devices before Iris was gone would be a good thing.  Many of you are head and shoulders way above and beyond my DIY abilities.

So I've got a ton of V1 motion sensors in a bag, batteries all removed.  Are they all little paperweights now?

Same with a bunch of V1 door contacts.  I used them for their intended purpose on five perimeter doors of course, but also stuck them in my freezers to keep tabs and alert me on local temps.  Paperweights too?

Two indoor V1 cameras and two V1 outdoor cameras now staring blankly into space.

And three RadioThermostat thermostats, now merely mortal devices with no superpowers.  Loved that I could be away for two weeks in the summer and not cool cool the house as much, and start things cooling down the day before I came home.

I've done some due diligence before I climb back on the horse, and I'm leaning toward Hubitat.  I really do like that it's not cloud-dependant. But I don't see that I can remotely control the heat and A/C through it.  That's important to me.

I'm fine with implementing two or more solutions if that's what's needed to accomplish basic security and automation goals.

So many choices, grasshopper.

I wouldn't worry about not having disconnected anything. Just follow the procedure for each device and reset them. The cameras I'm not sure what you can do with, but if they are usable, just reset them too. A lot of V1 Iris stuff is usable with Hubitat supposedly. That's what I am planning anyway.

as I continue to research here on the forum (which I should have done a long time ago *sigh*), I'm seeing that some of my issues have become non-issues, for which I'm truly pleased.

As with many of you, my lessons-learned from Iris will be valuable as I look to reinvent my local solutions.

I was spoiled by the comprehensive solution that Iris gave us, and now I'm putting my training wheels back on and taking baby steps.

I switched to Hubitat after reading so many contradictory things about what it can and cannot do.  My two biggest fears were not being able to acces my devices remotely and not having an app, BOTH of thes fears turned out to be non-issues.  With Hubitat you basically create your own "app" dashboards and they are available on one or as many pages you would like.

Hubitat is a thousand times more capable than iris; however, it is not plug and play and requires a good deal of thinking and patience to get a grasp of. Once you get the hang of it you will love it, but it is definately not for the plug and play person.  If you are familiar with logic based rule programming (like formulas used in excel spreadsheets) you can handle it, otherwise,  ST may be for you.  

My .02

Actually the rule creation is very similar between ST (CoRE/WebCore, Smart Lighting apps) and Hubitat (Rule Machine, Simple Lighting).  It's just the device control isn't nearly as pretty out of the box and setting up the Dashboard and maintaining it that is more difficult on Hubitat.  Although many ST users use SmartTiles or the like to create a dashboard for a tablet which then take the same amount of setup and maintenance and look pretty much the same as Hubitat's dashboard.  Both are very limited looking when you first start adding things as you need to add apps on both platforms to start to do security, automation, and other fun things.  Hubitat's huge advantage is local access and execution of even community created apps/drivers as long as those apps/drivers aren't talking to internet servers to make things happen on your connected devices like IFTTT, Life360, or dashboard tiles displaying weather information (but then only that tile won't work so the rest of the dashboard still should function).  Both platforms are much more flexible than Iris ever was in the home automation side, on the security side the SmartThings ADT hub has the advantage over Hubitat if your willing to pay for that service and register your security system if necessary in your area.  If your only considering the ST v2 or v3 hub then Hubitat has the advantage with many of the features built in to the HSM that Iris had like configurable entrance/exit grace periods, Zone Motion Controller app lets you aggregate multiple motion sensors and configure how many have to be activated in a configurable amount of time before the virtual adapter it creates is activated then you use that virtual in HSM to eliminate false positives on motion detection.  Neither will call you in the event your security, water, smoke are activated they will only SMS and or push messages to your phone.  Hubitat's SMS is limited to 10 a day, not aware of a limit on the ST side, and Hubitat doesn't currently allow push messages on its own (it relies on an app called Pushover which cost $4.99 per platform you use it on) although its supposed to be coming with an Android/iOS app that app is supposed to provide its own presence activity like ST has.  Life 360 seems to be more reliable for me than SmartThings presence detection ever was anyway, the only problem with Life 360 is not everyone you add to have access to disarm your system with presence (like a friend who comes over to check on your property when you are away) may want you to be able to see where they are 24/7.

Working on setting up Hubitat today. Not as foolproof as I had expected, but have thermostats, motion sensors, leak detectors, all but 1 smoke/co detector, smart plugs, garage door openers operating. Haven't tried irrigation yet, but I don't think it's going to work. I see it pretty much as tweaking your router. 

Beauty is if I don't think it's for me, might push some items to Smartthings if I really need the remote access. 

11 hours ago, awraynor said:

Working on setting up Hubitat today. Not as foolproof as I had expected, but have thermostats, motion sensors, leak detectors, all but 1 smoke/co detector, smart plugs, garage door openers operating. Haven't tried irrigation yet, but I don't think it's going to work. I see it pretty much as tweaking your router. 

Beauty is if I don't think it's for me, might push some items to Smartthings if I really need the remote access. 

How do you mean, "not as foolproof..."?

For irrigation, I'll want to pair an Orbit hose faucet water timer I have.  Is this what you're using?  It worked nicely with Iris, and I hope to get it working with another solution.

Speaking of solutions, since both Hubitat and ST hubs are so inexpensive, I'm pretty sure I'll get both to cover all the bases.

I spent half of my 42-year career in IT as a computer programmer, and can speak 5 programming languages although they were all for big iron mainframes.

Still, I know how to write code to logically solve problems, so I don't think I'll have great issues with HE and ST based on my simple requirements.

I only have 3 things left on ST, my Axis shade controllers (just haven't taken the time to try to move them yet).  The Neato Botvac Connected integration to have the robot vacuums only run when we are away (GeoFencing) and I haven't found an integration for Hubitat yet. The last is my Blue Iris server integration for profile switching based on Mode (GeoFencing again) I have found solutions for Hubitat which work but aren't as reliable as BI Fusion has been.  Although I'm guessing there is something I can change on my BI server to keep it from trying to change profiles on its own I just haven't figured out what yet (I already have the schedule disabled but it still changes over time). Both Hubitat and ST use Groovy programming language the differences are mainly in the interface requirements between the two.  I moved from ST due to the cloud issues they have had frequently in the past and a few internet issues we've had, with Hubitat I'm expecting all of the automations to keep working either way, except IFTTT, or Geofencing of course, I relize those require the internet.  However I haven't seen the instantaneous triggering of rules that so many claim, mine seem to be taking about the same amount of time as ST did which is a few seconds for many things like turning on one switch and having a SmartPlug turn on with it.

I just went and migrated the Shades (Axis gear) to Hubitat which was very quick. I just reset them to factory defaults then deleted the old entries from the Axis app and paired them to that and reset the open, close positions and paired them to the Hubitat hub.  After that I just had to choose the ST v3 driver I got off the Hubitat site which seems to work perfectly.

The thermostats were most problematic by far, factory reset, pair, unpair, reboot the Hubitat hub, eventually they worked. A few time it wouldn't sense the paired devices,

reboot the hub then they all show up, so I deleted them so I could tell what I was putting where. Sometimes the hub was sluggish, or freeze, not sure if it is the hub

or the bloated pig Chrome. I cleared the cache, etc. as I have to do periodically regardless and Chrome/Hubitat would respond better. 

Still amazed how small and light the Hubitat hub is. You'll think it's an empty shell when you first hold it. Hubitat will likely be right up your alley. The remote access

might still be a big deal for me, so I might have some devices on Hubitat, some on ST. For now I'm going to try to go all in on Hubitat. I'm an avid enthusiast, but still

an enthusiast. I work in healthcare full-time so I do like plug and play if possible.