Podcast with Hubitat on Thursday Night the 18th

10 posts in this topic

Patrick Stuart from Hubitat will be on the HomeGadgetGeeks podcast on Thursday night with me, my friends Jim Collision

and Mike Wieger on Thursday the 18th at 9 P.M. E.S.T.  It's a great chat group so come on over. I'll be there

as a guest to provide discussion on my transition from Iris to Hubitat. It would be even better if people much more technically

literate than myself are there to ask questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpW_0WXnSPU&feature=youtu.be

I agree with GaryS1964--they need better documentation for non-geeks. Ask them what their rating in the "WAF" is--bet it is near zero or negative. LOL

I wonder what percentage of their user base is female?

I don't think I nor my wife will live long enough to see Hubitat "come of age" and be mainstream/prime time....and for that matter, I don't think Hubitat itself will live long enough either if they continue

the way they are now. LOL...but even so, they will still always have their geeks that love to tinker as the hub will still work even if Hubitat folds.

You guys crack me up.  There are several women in the Hubitat community who actively participate and wear the HA pants in their households.  For them, it is all about HAF.

But the reality is that Hubitat isn’t going to fold just because you think the documentation is bad or because they don’t have a mobile app.  They have found an audience that can work through those things and are focusing on that group at the moment and doing very well in the process.

Yes IrisUser, there are a few geek women in the Hubitat community...and I don't think anyone has ever said that Hubitat will fold because of poor documentation or lack of user app! Even dedicated Hubitat geeks will agree that they lack adequate docs. I've always said Hubitat will NEVER BE MAINSTREAM like ST, Wink, Iris etc.

How many of those dedicated male geeks on Hubi post about their WAF? LOL 

I use Hubi, I'm just saying again Hubi will never be mainstream like the other players in the HA scene unless they change...We'll see where Hubitat is in say 2 or 3 years ...who would've thought Jan 30, 2019 we'd be where we are now?...no Iris...Wink on life support.

I'd bet dollars to donuts you and I & most of the rest of us here will all be doing something else different in 3 yrs or less with our hubs.

7 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

I've always said Hubitat will NEVER BE MAINSTREAM like ST, Wink, Iris etc.

Wink is dead.  Iris was never mainstream.  Thats a claim that cannot simply be made because Lowe's sold their own system in their stores.  That does not make it mainstream. Consumer adoption is what determines whether a product is mass market or not.  Tech media seldom wrote or blogged about Iris, which was always overshadowed by the larger players.  Thats a fact.  All published accounts of market penetration estimate there were less than 20k Iris hubs activated.   Hubitat is estimated to be around 5k right now.

By comparison, SmartThings has over a million, HomeKit, tens of million, same for Google Home and Alexa.  Those are true mainstream systems.   Iris, like Hubitat, was a niche product.   The same will be true for Arcus & Systronics too.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing.