Kwikset 910 not pairing
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello. i have multiple hubs and they all have similar problems. I have kiwkset 910/912 locks and i have ge zwave plus switches within 3-4 feet of each lock to support beaming mode. this worked perfectly fine in iris, but i moved to your product. I have to retry adding codes like 20-30 times because the jobs keep failing. the switches work perfectly fine. i see the zwave messages from the locks when i lock/unlock them, but adding codes takes like 10+ attempts per lock. I have tried multiple -wave rebuild, no effect. i have securejoin true on each lock.

the specific hub i am having issues with is sandcrab. this is the log messages

app:32019-04-13 07:00:14.636 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:7]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:14.571 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 07:00:12.442 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:6]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:12.362 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 07:00:10.246 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:5]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:10.174 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 07:00:08.092 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:4]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:08.016 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 07:00:05.898 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:3]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:05.815 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 07:00:03.691 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:2]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:03.585 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 07:00:01.462 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:1]]
app:32019-04-13 07:00:01.366 pm infojobs:1
app:32019-04-13 06:59:59.093 pm debugprocessJobs- try job:[36_4:[code:8390, name:code #4, codeState:pr, retry:0]]
app:32019-04-13 06:59:58.967 pm infojobs:1

I'm not familar with Kwikset locks, but I know that to get everything working correctly on my Schlage locks they had to be fairly close hub during the pairing process.  I took the locks off the doors and set them right next to the hub so they were literally within two inches.

Yes i had the same problem, and the lock was within inches when i paired it. that was the only way it would pair correctly. it seems paired correctly since i have the securejoin=true flag set. and i can control the lock but setting cdoes just timed out

Did you remove all codes from the lock before joining it to Hubitat?  If not it could be there is already a code in that spot that needs to be deleted from the lock side before Hubitat can manage it.

I've never had to remove a lock and bring it close to the hub to pair.  In fact, they actually recommend against that.

Have you run a Z-Wave repair since pairing the lock?  When Z-Wave locks are paried they learn only one parent, and it is usually NOT the closest device.  This may come to be surprising, but is intentionally done as part of the algorithm that is used to determine routing.  The purpose for this is to extend the range between devices as much as possible, thus maximizing the potential coverage of the Z-Wave mesh since unlike Zigbee it's limited to just 4 hops.  

Even if that isn't the case, the nearest device could have been busy when the lock sent its discovery message and a device further away answered causing the lock to use it as its upstream router.   For this reason, it's always good practice to run a Z-Wave repair anytime a battery-powered device is connected.

I would do three things before trying to set codes...  Remove ALL codes from the lock either by removing them using the driver page.  Pull the batteries from the lock for a few seconds to reset it.  Then run a Z-Wave repair.  

30 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

I've never had to remove a lock and bring it close to the hub to pair.  In fact, they actually recommend against that.

Have you run a Z-Wave repair since pairing the lock?  When Z-Wave locks are paried they learn only one parent, and it is usually NOT the closest device.  This may come to be surprising, but is intentionally done as part of the algorithm that is used to determine routing.  The purpose for this is to extend the range between devices as much as possible, thus maximizing the potential coverage of the Z-Wave mesh since unlike Zigbee it's limited to just 4 hops.  

Even if that isn't the case, the nearest device could have been busy when the lock sent its discovery message and a device further away answered causing the lock to use it as its upstream router.   For this reason, it's always good practice to run a Z-Wave repair anytime a battery-powered device is connected.

I would do three things before trying to set codes...  Remove ALL codes from the lock either by removing them using the driver page.  Pull the batteries from the lock for a few seconds to reset it.  Then run a Z-Wave repair.  

By they, do you mean Hubitat or Kwikset?   I have had to move a lock close to my controller to get it to pair, I actually moved the hub to the lock, but same difference.  It was a Schlage, not a Kwikset, but the Kwikset manual for a 910 recommends having the lock with 12' of the hub.  Also I have seen the recommendation many times to move a lock close to a hub to get it to pair, and I have never heard anyone say it is not recommended.  Until your post of coarse.  

41 minutes ago, Terminal said:

By they, do you mean Hubitat or Kwikset?   I have had to move a lock close to my controller to get it to pair, I actually moved the hub to the lock, but same difference.  It was a Schlage, not a Kwikset, but the Kwikset manual for a 910 recommends having the lock with 12' of the hub.  Also I have seen the recommendation many times to move a lock close to a hub to get it to pair, and I have never heard anyone say it is not recommended.  Until your post of coarse.  

Some locks, especially Z-Wave plus locks have what's called "whisper" pairing, meaning that they transmit at a lower power level during pairing so that they only can talk with the hub.  It's a security feature.  Relocation after pairing is not an issue with locks that are Z-Wave plus since the spec supports explorer frames for route discovery.  That means that the lock can be physically moved without ever having to have a repair run.  The 910 is not Z-Wave plus, and it "appears" to require Whisper pairing although Kwikset doesn't directly specify, meaning it probably has to be close to the hub.  That also means that a Z-Wave repair is absolutely required after reinstalling the lock so it's knows what its neighbors are.  This is true even if you move the hub to be close to the lock.  In fact, it's recommended to run 2-3 Z-Wave repairs in sequence to ensure that all devices respond with their neighbor tables.

The Hubitat devs recommend pairing locks in place that do not require whisper pairing.  It avoids the aforementioned issues with relocation.

I have been trying that for a few days now. no luck. I know i am successful factory resetting the locks because the codes are all deleted, and i am excluding them successfully from Hubitat and repairing them properly too. but it just wont add codes to any kwikset lock. i have three hubs, with 12 locks. three different states. there is something wrong with the hub software, it has to be.  any suggestions.?