V2 Keypad not pairing

10 posts in this topic

I tried different sequences...waited 30 min with batteries out, factory reset with top battery, with bottom battery, releasing the switch after 2 seconds, not releasing it at all, starting discovery during/after factory reset....  Hubitat can't find it.  Note, I did not remove any of my sensors from IRIS (I could not get to it in time before the shutdown), but all my other sensors paired easily with Hubitat after a factory reset.  I can't figure out if the keypad is actually resetting...the PDF manual I downloaded from IRIS says a LED should be blinking every 3 seconds when it's looking for a network, and I don't see anything blinking after I reset it.  To be fair, I remember having trouble re-pairing this keypad to IRIS when I replaced the IRIS hub...after a long time with support it turned out it was only resetting using the bottom battery, but not with the top one.  This time nothing works.  Since people are reporting pairing their v2 keypads to Hubitat with no issues, I'm thinking it's problem with my device.  Any suggestions before I toss it out?

I just had the same problem when pairing to a SystronicsRF hub.  I was apprehensive when I started the process because, as you, I have had trouble with the V2 keypad in the past (with Iris).  I also tried various approaches to get the device into the pairing mode.  It ended up taking me close to half-an-hour to finally get the thing into the pairing mode. You must get it into the state where you see the repetitive blinking green LED. Once I finally got the keypad in the correct state, I was easily able to pair. I wish I could tell you I have a proven process doing this, but it seemed like random trial and error. I did a lot of searching online, but never saw a definitive solution.

23 minutes ago, Whyris said:

You must get it into the state where you see the repetitive blinking green LED. Once I finally got the keypad in the correct state, I was easily able to pair. I wish I could tell you I have a proven process doing this, but it seemed like random trial and error. I did a lot of searching online, but never saw a definitive solution.

Yep.  I don't think mine is resetting, since I can't get the LED to blink.  It's hard to figure out how far down I need to press the switch - I remember advice from support to insert & remove the wedge instead of doing it with your finger.  Anyway, I've tried all of that already, but no luck so far.  This post is probably misplaced, since this is not a Hubitat issue, it's the keypad reset issue.

52 minutes ago, virtu789 said:

I tried different sequences...waited 30 min with batteries out, factory reset with top battery, with bottom battery, releasing the switch after 2 seconds, not releasing it at all, starting discovery during/after factory reset....  Hubitat can't find it.  Note, I did not remove any of my sensors from IRIS (I could not get to it in time before the shutdown), but all my other sensors paired easily with Hubitat after a factory reset.  I can't figure out if the keypad is actually resetting...the PDF manual I downloaded from IRIS says a LED should be blinking every 3 seconds when it's looking for a network, and I don't see anything blinking after I reset it.  To be fair, I remember having trouble re-pairing this keypad to IRIS when I replaced the IRIS hub...after a long time with support it turned out it was only resetting using the bottom battery, but not with the top one.  This time nothing works.  Since people are reporting pairing their v2 keypads to Hubitat with no issues, I'm thinking it's problem with my device.  Any suggestions before I toss it out?

One thing you might try is to use the Hubitat page to unpair from hubitat then pair (if you haven't tried that). The guy from Hubitat says that unpairing actually works regardless of what hub you use. It causes it to unpair from everything. I used this with a Thermostat that didn't want to pair, and after a few tries, it worked.

2 minutes ago, Sid said:

One thing you might try is to use the Hubitat page to unpair from hubitat then pair (if you haven't tried that). The guy from Hubitat says that unpairing actually works regardless of what hub you use. It causes it to unpair from everything. I used this with a Thermostat that didn't want to pair, and after a few tries, it worked.

I haven't tried that, but how do I unpair a device that isn't paired yet and not showing in the device list??

30 minutes ago, virtu789 said:

I haven't tried that, but how do I unpair a device that isn't paired yet and not showing in the device list??

The Thermostat I had trouble with was Z-Wave, and I just realized that the page for zigbee does not have an unpair button. I apologize, I must have misunderstood the Hubitat guy. I thought they had an unpair button for both Z-Wave and Zigbee.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:08 AM, virtu789 said:

Have you tried the reset/pairing process with a fresh set of batteries?  These are Zigbee devices so it shouldn't matter that they had been paired to another hub.  I reset two of these that had been paired to Iris and then paired them to both SystronicsRF and Hubitat without any issues.

5 hours ago, Vettester said:

Have you tried the reset/pairing process with a fresh set of batteries?  These are Zigbee devices so it shouldn't matter that they had been paired to another hub.  I reset two of these that had been paired to Iris and then paired them to both SystronicsRF and Hubitat without any issues.

Yes, fresh batteries is the lesson I remember from IRIS tech support.  The issue is that it does not reset (no blinking LED), so pairing is moot.  I was able to reset it once before with IRIS, but looks like between then and now something went wrong with this device.  Or maybe it's extremely sensitive to the timing of switch release and I was very lucky to hit it before, but not now.  I'm not the only one.  A few posts on ST boards of people not being able to reset these keypads.

What do you mean about not matter if they were paired to another hub? I assume if I soft-removed it from IRIS then it would pair to the new hub with no resetting, but now I have to reset it because it is still paired to IRIS. 

59 minutes ago, virtu789 said:

What do you mean about not matter if they were paired to another hub? I assume if I soft-removed it from IRIS then it would pair to the new hub with no resetting, but now I have to reset it because it is still paired to IRIS. 

If a zigbee device was paired to another hub its always a good idea complete a factory reset before pairing to another hub.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:13 AM, Vettester said:

If a zigbee device was paired to another hub its always a good idea complete a factory reset before pairing to another hub.

I see, I guess I should not beat myself up too hard for not removing it in advance.

Anyway, to close the loop on this, I gave up and got another used V2 keypad from eBay.  Got it reset, paired, and configured to work with Hubitat in under 5 minutes.  Quite annoying that I have to throw way the old one since it was otherwise a functional keypad that worked with IRIS, but not being able to reset it reduced it to a paperweight…. Giving the troublemaker keypad away if anyone want to try their hand on it.