My experience migrating from Iris to SmartThings...

1 post in this topic

First and foremost, understand that I am hoping to get Arcus working on my old Iris 1st gen hardware, if for no other reason than to repurpose / gift it to my brother in law and his wife for their help to us over the years. I might just break down and grab them a Hubitat but I digress...

My Iris system was simple, 2nd generation hub, a 2nd generation keypad, 2 2nd gen contact sensors, 1 2nd gen motion sensor. I Completed the perimeter with first generation contact sensors, and 5 OC 821 cameras. I had 2 Utlitiech indoor sirens. I had automations only using , a single 3rd generation smart switch, and a Honeywell Smart WiFi Thermostat, controlled by Alexa via 2 2nd generation Echo Dots. 

After much debate, and reviewing my needs, costs, and benefits, I opted for a monitored ADT SmartThings system. The monitoring gets my insurance discounted to where it pays for itself, and basically buys me a tank of gas or two every year. 

My carry over from Iris are 2 2nd gen contact sensors, 1 2nd gen motion sensor, a single 3rd generation smart switch, the Utilitech sirens, the Honeywell thermostat, and of course the Echo dots...

I have completed the envelope of the house with ADT SmartThings door and window detectors, including on the roll up garage doors (configured as tilt sesnors), and ADT SmartTHings motion detectors.  I have included additional door and window detectors excluded from security for automations to control lighting.

The video monitoring is done via 2 Ring spotlight camera wired models, a Ring Video Doorbell 2, and a Ring Floodlight camera. I am looking for 2 additional outdoor cameras, and am leaning toward figuring out how to make the OC821s work with ST. They are for areas that need to be watched, but aren't critical.

I have since added 3 Hampton Bay ZigBee ceiling fan and light controllers, 17 Sylvania Smart+ ZigBee smart bulbs. 10 Ikea Tradfri Wireless Control Outlets, 3 Zooz Zen 22 Zwave dimmers, and 3 Zooz Zen 27 Zwave dimmers.

A single 3rd generation Echo Dot has been added to the system as an addtional control point, and in blind hope to get Alexa Guard going. No such luck... 

The long term goal is to do the following. 

#1. Finalize implementing devices already in my inventory. This is going, but it is going slowly.

#2. Obtain additional smart switches, I want 2 15 amp on off switches, not dimmers, one for the workshop which has 7 2 tube shop lights fitted with 14w LEDs, and the kitchen light. which is fitted with 4 14w LED tube lights. And finish up with all the circuits applicable with dimmers...

#3. Add 1 more Hampton Bay celing fan controller / light controller.

#4. Add 1 GE ceiling fan controller.

#5. Add 2 Amazon Echo 2nd gen, the tall ones, and Echo Subs, 1 for living room, 1 for master bedroom for voice control and audio for listening or paired via Bluetooth to the TV.

From what I understand from the Vizio website, the 2018 + TVs can be controlled via Alexa, which is odd since they include built in Chromecast, and Amazon and Google aren't known to play nice together... So far I have an older 2015 Viizio 32" with a FireTV stick / Alexa remote for one bedroom, a new Insignia Fire Edition TV, 39" in the master living room, and a FireTV Stick with Alexa remote connected to another Vizo 32" TV in another bedroom... 

Yeah I know TVs aren't exactly within the ST environment, but they share control via Alexa... 

Again, long term goal there is...

Living room, Vizio P Class 75" TV with Chromecast, Alexa enabled controls. + 4 tuner FireTV Recast.

Remaining bedroom, and kitchen, Insignia 32" FireEdition TVs.

I also want to add the Zooz 4 in 1 sensors, motion, temp, humidity, and light, to each area of the house, Master bedroom, Master Bath, Dressing room, Bedroom 2, Closet 2, Bedroom 3, Bedroom 4, kitchen, dining room, living room, hallway, main bathroom, main vanity. The idea is to control lights, fans, and dehumidifiers based on environmental conditions / changes in certain spaces. It is far cheaper to run a dehumidifier and a few ceiling fans than to say run the AC for the whole house, so if the rooms used hit X degrees, turn on the ceiling fan to whatever speed, bump up as temp goes up, if humidity hits Y % in a certain space, turn on the dehumidifier, if temp is over X, and humidity over Y then run AC to blah temp. etc... The idea is to lower electrical use...