Six weeks with Hubitat
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I moved my Isis system over to Hubitat and I am very happy so far. All good with my V1 contact sensors, Utilitech Siren, and Orbit hose timer. My wife is ok with the HSM and using the link to Hubitat from her phone. I went with new cameras and I am using Blue Iris for the cameras and I am very happy with them.

My 3210-L plugs work fine and I haven't had the time to setup them as a zwave repeater yet and I haven't connected my Schlage door lock yet as I haven't had the time.

Pretty good so far.

18 minutes ago, Nanker Phelge said:

I moved my Isis system over to Hubitat and I am very happy so far. All good with my V1 contact sensors, Utilitech Siren, and Orbit hose timer. My wife is ok with the HSM and using the link to Hubitat from her phone. I went with new cameras and I am using Blue Iris for the cameras and I am very happy with them.

My 3210-L plugs work fine and I haven't had the time to setup them as a zwave repeater yet and I haven't connected my Schlage door lock yet as I haven't had the time. 

Pretty good so far.

I am also very happy with Hubitat. I chose Ring for my alarm not wanting to keep everything with one solution (Thanks again Iris) Since Ring now works with Alexa I can even link the Ring door sensors to Hubitat (using virtual devices)

Reading the community posts you may be in for a little work to get the Schlage door lock to work, but there is Lots of support.

Like you said "Pretty good so far."

I moved over to Hubitat at about same time and my system has grown to over 250 devices utilizing two hubs.  There is a significant improvement in functionality with Hubitat vs Iris.  In my opinion Lowe's did the majority of us a favor by shutting down Iris.   The only complaint I have is with Hubitat's dashboards. The display format isn't compatible with my Gen 1 iPad and they don't display full screen very well.  Sharptools resolves this but since it's cloud based it is laggy at times.

The only thing I wasn't able to move over was my Orbit 12 station sprinkler controller, but I replaced it with a Rachio controller and couldn't be happier.

I've been using Blue Iris for a few years now and it is an awesome program and the fact that it integrates into Hubitat is a plus.  I'm looking forward to the new version 5 that is scheduled to be released in a few weeks.

I moved many devices from Iris to SmartThings a few years ago but still had about half the devices on Iris still and when Iris announced the shutdown I started moving things to Hubitat and have since moved everything from SmartThings to Hubitat as well, I still have the SmartThings hub running only to start our Neato vacuums cleaning every few days only after we leave.  I'm hoping someone will port that app/driver pair from SmartThings at some point.  My wife never even noticed either change from Iris to SmartThings or to Hubitat since she controls thing via Alexa or they are automated via buttons, switches, or motion,  The only thing I still wish was better on Hubitat was the dashboard interface is difficult to setup one interface that will work well on all of my devices where the SmartThings app and even the Iris app for a while (although they broke iPads later) displayed great on my iphone, iPad, and Android tablet.

My Blue Iris server started acting up about the time I started moving to Hubitat so it took a while working with Ken to figure how to fix it.  The issue was I had one of the check boxes marked for Until triggered in the profile screen which caused it to try to change to scheduling once motion was detected so I was never being alerted.  I unchecked those boxes and changed the time on the profiles to 0 which Ken said makes it stay until manually changed, now my Hubitat changes the BI profiles based on the Hubitat Modes so when we leave the house more alerting happens and at night as well, all controlled by Hubitat.  I had this working with SmartThings for the last year and hadn't changed anything on the profile page in a long time so still curious as to what changed other than I had updated the BI server around that time too.  I now understand what the until triggered check box is for but am a little surprised they where honored since the schedule was disabled on the BI server and cameras.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:31 PM, Vettester said:

The only complaint I have is with Hubitat's dashboards.

Using Homebridge installed on a raspberry pi I am able to connect Hubitat to Apple's HomeKit.  Now I can use the Apple Home app to control my Hubitat connected devices.

The WAF just went up significantly.

IMG_2772.JPG     IMG_2773.JPG     File_001 (2).png

I've figured out how to integrate Hubitat, Blue Iris and Homekit into a single app.  Now with the camera integration my system has all of the functionality I had with Iris and then some.  

IMG_2822.JPG   IMG_2823.JPG

@Vettester Do you have any information you can share on the components to get Hubitat and BI working through Homekit?  I`d like to try this but have no experience with Raspberry PI or Homekit, even on the Hubitat side I see there are a few different Homebridge integrations which did you use?  I should have a Raspberry PI 3B+ Thursday to start getting this setup.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Terk said:

@Vettester Do you have any information you can share on the components to get Hubitat and BI working through Homekit?  I`d like to try this but have no experience with Raspberry PI or Homekit, even on the Hubitat side I see there are a few different Homebridge integrations which did you use?  I should have a Raspberry PI 3B+ Thursday to start getting this setup.

Thanks.

I think I tried just about all the different ways of doing this and through trail and error I now have a configuration that is fairly simple to maintain.

Here is what I am using:

Hardware

1. Raspberry PI 3 B+ running Raspian NOOBS Setup   https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/2/
  2. iPad Gen 6 with Homekit enabled - A Homekit server is required for remote access.  An Apple Homepod or a newer Apple TV can be used instead.
  3. Hubitat HE.

Software 

1. Maker API
  2.  Homebridge - I used this Guide to setup 3 instances of Homebridge.  I found that there is a 147 device limit per Homebridge instance so depending on your system you may need more or less.  The guide uses systemd and has a UI to simplify the system management process.
  3. Homebride Plugins:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 6.40.58 AM.png

4. Apple Home app

If I get time later on I will put together a guide on the process to set this up.

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

If I get time later on I will put together a guide on the process to set this up.

Thanks that would be awesome if you have the time.  I'm hoping to get started working on this on Friday night.  It looks like a very nice interface.

Thanks.

Here you go...

1. Install Raspian on your Raspberry Pi.  Since you're new to the pi world I would recommend using NOOBS.  Instructions can be found here
  2. After you've installed the OS the next thing you should install on your pi is remote desktop.  This give you the ability to run the pi headless so you can put it anywhere.  Even though you can enable wifi on your pi I would recommend connecting it directly to your router for reliability.  You can use this as a guide to install RDP on your pi.  From this point on you should be able to RDP into your pi so you can complete the rest of the steps on your computer.
  3. Add the built-in Maker API to Hubitat.  To accommodate the number of devices on my system I added 3 separate instances of Maker API and named them HomeBridge1, HomeBridge2 and HomeBridge3. Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.43.01 PM.png
  4. Install HomeBridge on your PI using this guide.  Install enough instances to accommodate the number of devices you want to include.  HomeBridge may create multiple instances of the same device depending on the device's capabilities/attributes so keep this in mind when you are deciding on how many instances to create.  You can exclude capabilities/attributes as needed.  You can always add additional instances later if needed.
  5. Install the HomeBridge MakerAPI plugin starting with step 2 at this link and setup your HomeBridge config with the appropriate app url and and access token. 
  6. Add the devices you want to include in Homekit using Maker API.  Keep in mind that you need to restart HomeBridge when you add or remove devices in Maker API.
  7. Add the Home app to your iOS device from the app store.
  8. Add the HomeBridge accessory to your Home app by scanning the HomeKit setup code created by HomeBridge.

Adding Cameras

1. Install the ffmpeg plugin for HomeBridge using sudo npm install -g homebridge-camera-ffmpeg
  2. Install IP camera plugin for HomeBridge using: sudo npm install -g homebridge-ip-camera
  3. Add the IP Camera platform to your HomeBridge config file.  You can use this link for a reference.

I put this together from memory so I might have missed something.  If you get stuck or you need examples of my config files feel free to PM me. and I'll do what I can to help.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:00 AM, Terk said:

It looks like a very nice interface.

I've only been using this for a few weeks but can tell you that it's an awesome configurable interface with more improvements to come in iOS 13. 

Also, the ability to use Siri is an added plus and it looks great on both an iPhone and an iPad.

IMG_2844.JPG     IMG_2845.JPG

It took a while there are a lot of moving parts, I`m not really comfortable with Linix and its tools, and I was having a hard time getting the config.json file right with the commas and brackets.  I did manage to get it working enough to see commands execute instantly which is awesome and to start playing around with the interface.  Can you stretch specific buttons to be able to read them better, like my modes?

I set it up for the two directories and homebridge instances however when i run homebridge it was always complaining about a missing json file since it was looking in the /root/.homebridge/ folder instead of /var/lib/homebridge@1 and 2 so I only have 1 instance running from at the moment, not sure what i did wrong there.  Also do you have yours starting homebridge automatically on a reboot, if so how did you set that up?

Thanks!

IMG_0714.PNG

6 hours ago, Terk said:

Can you stretch specific buttons to be able to read them better, like my modes?

I set it up for the two directories and homebridge instances however when i run homebridge it was always complaining about a missing json file since it was looking in the /root/.homebridge/ folder instead of /var/lib/homebridge@1 and 2 so I only have 1 instance running from at the moment, not sure what i did wrong there.  Also do you have yours starting homebridge automatically on a reboot, if so how did you set that up?

You cannot resize the buttons but you can rename them in the Home app to make them more readable. Just tap on the button and then go into settings and change the name.  The button is essentially a link so changing this has no effect on the name of the device in Hubitat.

IMG_2847.JPG

Did you create a separate config.json file for each instance and save it in the correct directory (/var/lib/homebridge@1 and /var/lib/homebridge@2)?

All three of my instances of homebridge are configured to start automatically.  I did this by creating a systemd service.  This is outlined in steps 7 and 8 of the homebridge installation guide.

https://gist.github.com/swiss6th/dfb74278d8318d4e66408c992a3216c8

Thanks, I had it all setup with the systemd services as well but riginally i thought that web interface was only for monitoring since it wasn't working but it was the json file all along that was the issue.  Once I updated that it started up and is working fine at least for my second instance.  There is still something preventing my first instance from starting homebride so I'll need to spend more time on that.

Thanks for all the help!  This interface is really nice so far, I just wish I could choose to hide some of the temperature devices but not all of them.

The issue with my first instance was an comma it didn't like after one of the } brackets.  I love the web interface, being able to administer it all without even having to RDP in is great and I like the json error checking built into it although I wish it would point you to the issue instead of just saying there is an issue I guess I'll eventually get used to json's syntax and it will be easier to find my mistakes.

Did you end up with three sets of HSM and Modes or is there a way to turn them off for an instance?

You can disable the HSM and Modes in your second instance by modifying the config.json file.  Under the Hubitat-MakerAPI Platform section modify the following lines from true to false:

"mode_switches": false,
            "hsm": false,

Just keep in mind that you need to restart homebridge whenever you modify the cong.json file before the changes will take affect.

You can also hide the temperature attributes by device.  You just need to add the device id and the attribute you want to exclude to the "excluded_attributes" section of your config.json file.

Here's one of my config.json files as an example:

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge@1",
        "username": "AB:22:3D:E2:CE:31",
        "port": 51826,
        "pin": "033-44-254"
    },
    "accessories": [],
    "platforms": [
        {
            "name": "Config",
            "port": 8080,
            "auth": "form",
            "theme": "purple",
            "temp": "/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp",
            "tempUnits": "f",
            "sudo": true,
            "standalone": true,
            "restart": "sudo -n systemctl restart homebridge@1",
            "log": {
                "method": "systemd",
                "service": "homebridge@1"
            },
            "platform": "config"
        },
        {
            "platform": "Hubitat-MakerAPI",
            "name": "HomeBridge1",
            "app_url": "http://192.168.86.25/apps/api/899/",
            "access_token": "dd253efa-3be9-468b-80fd-9c7aa8ca14b9",
            "polling_seconds": 300,
            "temperature_unit": "F",
            "mode_switches": true,
            "hsm": true,
            "excluded_capabilities": {
                "169": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "706": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "707": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "708": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "709": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "710": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "711": [
                    "Switch"
                ],
                "712": [
                    "Switch"
                ]
            },
            "excluded_attributes": {
                "33": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "34": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "37": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "38": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "39": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "40": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "42": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "43": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "45": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "46": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "47": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "50": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "55": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "57": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "59": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "61": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "62": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "67": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "69": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "72": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "76": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "77": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "78": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "79": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "86": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "87": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "105": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "106": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "141": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "142": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "143": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "144": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "149": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "150": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "151": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "169": [
                    "battery"
                ],
                "225": [
                    "contact"
                ],
                "269": [
                    "contact"
                ],
                "360": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "376": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "377": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "450": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "451": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "452": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "453": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "454": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "456": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "457": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "756": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "770": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "771": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "772": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "773": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "775": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "776": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "777": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "961": [
                    "temperature"
                ],
                "1122": [
                    "temperature"
                ]
            }
        }
    ]
}

Turning off the HSM and Modes for one of the instances was easy, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the temperature items for each zigbee window and door sensor though, maybe I have to put in the exception than uncheck the object save and add it back in?  I may have to try that later, for now I'm still trying to get it setup how I want it.  Thanks for all the tips!.

10 hours ago, Terk said:

I couldn't figure out how to turn off the temperature items for each zigbee window and door sensor though, maybe I have to put in the exception than uncheck the object save and add it back in?

Excluding the temperature for your contact sensors should be fairly simple.  First within the home app open the device you want to exclude and go into settings.  Scroll down to the bottom of the settings and you'll see a device serial number.

IMG_2848.JPG

Add this device number to the "excluded_attributes" section of your config.json file of the homebridge instance that contains the device along with the attribute you want to exclude.  From the example above your config.json file should look something like this:

{
    "bridge": {
        "name": "Homebridge@2",
        "username": "AB:22:3D:E2:CE:32",
        "port": 51827,
        "pin": "033-44-255"
    },
    "accessories": [],
    "platforms": [
        {
            "name": "Config",
            "port": 8081,
            "auth": "form",
            "theme": "teal",
            "temp": "/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp",
            "tempUnits": "f",
            "sudo": true,
            "standalone": true,
            "restart": "sudo -n systemctl restart homebridge@2",
            "log": {
                "method": "systemd",
                "service": "homebridge@2"
            },
            "platform": "config"
        },
        {
            "platform": "Hubitat-MakerAPI",
            "name": "HomeBridge2",
            "app_url": "http://192.168.86.25/apps/api/234/",
            "access_token": "9c2198be-89e6-48b2-ab21-7cfd725e7dde",
            "polling_seconds": 300,
            "temperature_unit": "F",
            "mode_switches": false,
            "hsm": false,
            "excluded_capabilities": {},
            "excluded_attributes": {
                "456": [
                    "temperature"
                ]

}

}
    ]
}

Save the file then restart the homebridge instance and the temperature button for that device should be removed.

I got the temperatures excluded from my outside doors and windows and the contact status excluded from my dedicated temperature sensors.  Everything looks great in the Home app now!

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Terk said:

I got the temperatures excluded from my outside doors and windows and the contact status excluded from my dedicated temperature sensors.  Everything looks great in the Home app now!

Thanks!

You're welcome, I'm glad you got it working.  I think you're going to like it.  In my opinion it's a much better interface than the Hubitat dashboard app.

I agree, this is the kind of app I wish they had come with.  I think they have a great product and team, and if they could get the dashboards to rotate and scale proportionately I'd be happy with the dashboards most of the time.  I do like the way the Home app rotates and keeps the icons arranged based on the ID your signed into so you only have to set it up on one device and it will look similar on all devices.  I was concerned it would add latency but I click a light and it instantly turns on.  I also like the ability to tell Siri to close the garage door and she does with the phone locked but if you tell her to open it she requires you to unlock the phone first for security, and the remote capabilities are nice, I don't have to VPN in before I can check on things.

Nice, I didn’t think to look there, I tried to add a widget and was surprised not to be able to find one to add. The control center provides what I was looking for in a widget.

Thanks