Iris Centralite / v2 range extender?

10 posts in this topic

I have an Iris setup with 11 v1 (AlertMe) contact sensors, 1 v2 Contact Sensor, 9 v2 Motion Sensors, and 3 v1 motion sensors. I'm struggling with one motion sensor that's in a detached garage - it actually works pretty well, since when motion is detected the garage door is open. However, when the garage door is closed it tends to lose connection and shows up as an disconnected device. I have a AlertMe contact sensor in the garage and don't have any issues with it. I've been trying to add range extenders (currently I have 3 Iris Range Extenders, with another on the way), but these don't seem to help with the v2 motion sensor.

Does the Iris Range Extender only support AlertMe devices and not generic Zigbee HA1.2 devices? Aside from setting up a dedicated Iris hub for the garage, are there other repeaters that people would recommend?

The v2 smart switches worked as both ZigBee and Z-wave repeaters IIRC.

Sounds like your only RF path out of the garage is through the overhead door if you lose the connection when it's closed. Must be a metal or metal clad door.

Have you tired relocating the motion sensor in the garage or is that not an option. It may be able to provide the coverage you want from another location where it can maintain the connection to the hub or a nearby repeater.

7 hours ago, AndrewX192 said:

Does the Iris Range Extender only support AlertMe devices and not generic Zigbee HA1.2 devices? Aside from setting up a dedicated Iris hub for the garage, are there other repeaters that people would recommend?

I believe that is right the Iris repeaters were only for the original V1 devices.  I never had one but I always heard they didn't work very well anyway.  The smart plugs were always recommended as the best option for a repeater. 

I'm still a little confused about the first gen range extender (on the back it says "Speaks ZWave", but I thought it was a ZigBee device), but after installing a 4th range extender in the garage and mounting the motion sensor in a slightly higher location I'm no longer having connectivity issues

The v1 Iris repeater has a backup battery in it IIRC, as did the v1 smart plugs. but the v1 smart plugs didn't  do energy monitoring.

but since you can't use them now doesn't really matter I guess.

I can't use what? I thought the Iris v1 smart plugs were supported in other platforms. Also, the v1 smart plugs report power consumption under Arcus, if that's what you mean by energy monitoring.

Unfortunately my Zigbee issues have turned into Z-Wave issues. Two old GE/Jasco Z-Wave light switches have started having problems. Before I installed the latest range extender, both lights would turn on via a schedule, but now only one does. Both show as offline in the Arcus app/website despite one of them working on a schedule.

Sorry, as I understand it except for use with Arcus and SysRF I don't believe that Iris v1 devices are usable in another system.

And both of those systems are still under development and very green so in my opinion don't really qualify as fully functional HA systems.

1 hour ago, sparc said:

Sorry, as I understand it except for use with Arcus and SysRF I don't believe that Iris v1 devices are usable in another system.

And both of those systems are still under development and very green so in my opinion don't really qualify as fully functional HA systems.

Hubitat supports a bunch of the V1 devices. I have a half dozen V1 contact sensors happily reporting status and temps to my hubitat setup, as well as a handful of V1 plugs.  All paid for by Lowe's, thank you!

15 hours ago, Vettester said:

I have almost 100 V1 devices running on Hubitat and they are all working well.

Nice. I didn't realize they supported v1 devices.