Do You Miss Iris? and General BS Thread
4 4

37 posts in this topic

Yeah ST had the device health (red dot) and it worked pretty well the last few months, it took them at least 8 months to get it working right which is understandable since they integrate with about the same number of devices as Hubitat.

I definitely miss Iris. I switched to Hubitat, and while I've gotten it to do what I need it to do, it's been a complete bear to figure out. If I had ANY trouble with Iris, I could call them and someone who spoke good English was on the other end of the phone and always solved whatever issue I had. The user interface was great and the devices just worked. I found Iris to be bulettproof- I used it on both mine and my dad's house and could monitor both remotely with ease.  If any Iris employees see this- you rocked.

It continues to develop sophistication in the control system, with custom dashboards and apps, along with the ability to create even more complex actions and activators.  The system works very well locally when broadband is out. I just added my second Iris camera today, although that is still in the development phase. One thing I especially like is the ZigBee routing information and control.  I have found that my ZigBee smart bulbs are poor routers of commands. SRF gives you access to routing information in mesh and list form, so I can see what route the signal is taking for each device. If I don't like the route, I can manually change it. In my case, for problem devices, I can create a manual route that only uses Gen 2 smart plugs, which creates dependable routes.

That said, there are still a few devices that have not been profiled successfully, and they have not yet created a facility for Alexa or Google voice control.  I miss that a great deal, and will be glad when it is enabled.  I am pleased that the cameras are able to be put to use, since I have 9 cams that I never switched from Iris.  I appreciate the help you and Otto gave us in getting that worked out.

Wow...that Zigbee routing sounds incredibly useful. I may have to fire my hub back up and see if I can make that work a bit better for me. I am currently on Hubitat and often find the Gen 1 Iris device drop off and they can be a pain in the ass to get back up. Would be nice if I could just route them along a more robust mesh, or find the device that isn't repeating properly.

"If I don't like the route, I can manually change it. In my case, for problem devices, I can create a manual route that only uses Gen 2 smart plugs, which creates dependable routes. "

Something that Iris needed but never appeared. But to be fair I don't think anyone gives you that capability except for SystronicsRF. Did they ever come up with a better name? SystronicsRF sound like a company name, not a product name that people will remember.

12 hours ago, Wlepse said:

Wow...that Zigbee routing sounds incredibly useful. I may have to fire my hub back up and see if I can make that work a bit better for me. I am currently on Hubitat and often find the Gen 1 Iris device drop off and they can be a pain in the ass to get back up. Would be nice if I could just route them along a more robust mesh, or find the device that isn't repeating properly.

I assume you know that Hubitat provides access to it's Zigbee routing table?  You can access this by using your hub's IP address/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo.  With this you can see the routing for your Gen 1 Iris device.  If you're having issues simply power down the device it is routing through and it will be forced to reroute.  However, since Zigbee networks are constantly self healing this is just a temporary fix.  If you are still having issues you might want to consider adding another repeater device.  A good rule of thumb is 1 repeater for every 6 Zigbee devices.

Interesting...wonder why Hubitat tech support never suggested this when I had issues. Also question the details shown, for instance two windows next to each other hope through two different outlets. This is even stranger since one is hopping through an outlet that is about as far away as one could be. In fact it is bypassing at least 5 other outlets that are closer.

Distance isn't always the deciding factor in a mesh network and since it is constantly trying to self heal, the routing table is just a snapshot of the active child connections when you run the getChildAndRouteInfo command.  If you refresh the browser window you'll see that some of your route table entries change.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Vettester said:

Distance isn't always the deciding factor in a mesh network and since it is constantly trying to self heal, the routing table is just a snapshot of the active child connections when you run the getChildAndRouteInfo command.  If you refresh the browser window you'll see that some of your route table entries change.

I did see entries change, but not their routing. Basically as other devices checked in the list would change but I didn't see a routing change.

Heck, I still miss Iris V1.   V2, not so much.    Switched over and expanded on the ST platform.  Really wish they could get some of the security functionality improved.     Otherwise, happy-ish.  

Action Tiles is fun to play with.