Is there an Idiots Guide to Rule Machine for Hubitat?

7 posts in this topic

I've had basic lighting rules running for months after switching to Hubitat from Iris.  Got all my devices recognized, but did not have time to do anything other than a dashboard and install the new app on my phone.  I have managed to make sure the hub is updated regularly, and the app, but I have not had time to sit down with at length.  I work in IT, and figured I could figure it out.  I believed I really liked Hubitat, and was looking forward to work slowing down, and spending some evenings getting Hubitat to automate more things, some basic security with the Iris components, etc.

So tonight, through sheer luck as I'm checking for updates to the hub, I check the dashboard, and see the freezer door contact is red.....luckily the door was only open half an inch, and the weather today was the first day in months it was below 80 during the day, and heading into the lower 60s tonight.  So I saved my freezer contents by sheer luck, and thought, well, that's a lesson to go ahead and setup Hubitat to detect a contact open, and send me a notice.

Two + hours later, before calming down, I was ready to pitch the Hubitat Hub in the trash.  I can't "get" Rule Machine 3 or 4 to be "clear" to me.  I may be stupid with this, but I did use Powershell several times for work,  and SSH into a half dozen wifi access points and manually download and install firmware on them.  My basic ability to read, type on a keyboard and click a mouse button is solid.

I know their forums are filled with helpful people with lots of if/then else examples posted, but I don't even know how to get to that view, and all I simply want is guidance of how to build something in the Rule Machine GUI's that detects the freezer door sensor being open for a few minutes, and will notify me either through the Hubitat Android app to my phone, or a text message, "Freezer Door Open".

Maybe I'm exhausted from weeks of a heavy work schedule, but I'm not getting this.  There has to be something I'm missing for everyone to like Hubitat as much as they do.  I was very happy that I got the lighting rules working ASAP, it was huge to the WAF.  I know Hubitat can do more, the forums are full of cool things it can, but I'm not scripting genius.

Help, somebody.  And patience with my fatigued stupidity would be appreciated.  If I can't get something this simple to work, there is no reason to attempt to make my driveway alarm alert me via Hubitat, even if I can solder, and there is a video on modding a contact sensor to work with the driveway alarm.

Thanks in advance.

Rule Machine can be a bit intimidating, but once you get the basics down it is not that difficult.  This may provide some insight:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Rule_Machine

If you just want to get a simple notification that the contact sensor has been open for x minutes, I would recommend you use the built in notification app. 

Well, I feel even more dumb than usual.  If you are like me, and apparently living under a rock, the Hubitat Notifications App (which I did not have installed) makes this about as simple as Iris made it, and will send a notification to your phone, or repeat the notification until you do something.

1 minute ago, Vettester said:

Rule Machine can be a bit intimidating, but once you get the basics down it is not that difficult.  This may provide some insight:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Rule_Machine

If you just want to get a simple notification that the contact sensor has been open for x minutes, I would recommend you use the built in notification app. 

Thank you for the response.  As you pointed out, Hubitat has evolved with the mobile app, and I completely missed what it could do.  I'm going to tackle Rule Machine again, but the Rule Machine 4 and 3 interfaces and drop downs were confusing tonight for something that seemed really basic and simple.

If contact sensor A is open for > 5 minutes, then send notification/message/text to phone/device "Freezer Door Left Open".  Seemed simple enough when i said it aloud a few hours ago.

I believe Webcore works with habitat now.I don't know anything about Hubitat, but Webcore is a very versatile rules engine.  You can make simple rules very quickly or if you want to get complex you can do that too.

WebCore is frowned upon by the Hubitat support team since it is a very process intensive app (SmartThings offloaded some of the code about a year or so ago to their server side to try to lessen the load on the SmartThings hubs where it is used) and can really stress the hub depending on how rules are configured.  Rule Machine can do most of the same things WebCore can and both take some getting used to.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, Dredwolf said:

I've had basic lighting rules running for months after switching to Hubitat from Iris.  Got all my devices recognized, but did not have time to do anything other than a dashboard and install the new app on my phone.  I have managed to make sure the hub is updated regularly, and the app, but I have not had time to sit down with at length.  I work in IT, and figured I could figure it out.  I believed I really liked Hubitat, and was looking forward to work slowing down, and spending some evenings getting Hubitat to automate more things, some basic security with the Iris components, etc.

So tonight, through sheer luck as I'm checking for updates to the hub, I check the dashboard, and see the freezer door contact is red.....luckily the door was only open half an inch, and the weather today was the first day in months it was below 80 during the day, and heading into the lower 60s tonight.  So I saved my freezer contents by sheer luck, and thought, well, that's a lesson to go ahead and setup Hubitat to detect a contact open, and send me a notice.

Two + hours later, before calming down, I was ready to pitch the Hubitat Hub in the trash.  I can't "get" Rule Machine 3 or 4 to be "clear" to me.  I may be stupid with this, but I did use Powershell several times for work,  and SSH into a half dozen wifi access points and manually download and install firmware on them.  My basic ability to read, type on a keyboard and click a mouse button is solid.

I know their forums are filled with helpful people with lots of if/then else examples posted, but I don't even know how to get to that view, and all I simply want is guidance of how to build something in the Rule Machine GUI's that detects the freezer door sensor being open for a few minutes, and will notify me either through the Hubitat Android app to my phone, or a text message, "Freezer Door Open".

Maybe I'm exhausted from weeks of a heavy work schedule, but I'm not getting this.  There has to be something I'm missing for everyone to like Hubitat as much as they do.  I was very happy that I got the lighting rules working ASAP, it was huge to the WAF.  I know Hubitat can do more, the forums are full of cool things it can, but I'm not scripting genius.

Help, somebody.  And patience with my fatigued stupidity would be appreciated.  If I can't get something this simple to work, there is no reason to attempt to make my driveway alarm alert me via Hubitat, even if I can solder, and there is a video on modding a contact sensor to work with the driveway alarm.

Thanks in advance.

Did you still need help with this?  Like you, I reviewed their examples, and while the logic made sense to me, I couldn't for the life of me find out how to actually get to the end result because I didn't know what to click on or how the rule machine creation interface actually flowed.  I only have about 20 rules created as of now - yes, some of us are very busy and don't have time with work to spend a lot of time reading the manuals.  So I would create 1-2 rules every month or so and my rules are in v1, 2, 3, and now v4 of RM.  It seemed like once I got an understanding of what to click on in a particular version, they upgraded RM.  It's nice to keep it updated but for those of us who don't create that many rules, it can be frustrating to have to spend hours trying to find how to actually create the rules when it changes.  And when you ask a question on the forums, it is a crap shoot on whether you will actually get help or if they will just refer you to a post that has 1100+ responses and say "look at the examples".

So, after getting that exact response from someone on a forum, I had to sit down and try to figure out the flow of the creation myself.  If you still would like to see how this is done in RM4, I can give you some examples and how to get to the end result.  Bear in mind, I only have 4 rules, so my examples won't be as extensive as on the forums but if what you are looking for is what to click on within RM, I think even just one may help you wrap your head around it.