HubOS code released
1 1

5 posts in this topic

The code & buildscripts for the IRIS Hub (v2 and v3) was released today!

https://github.com/arcus-smart-home/arcushubos

With this release, it should be possible to update the hub to more modern software or to generally purpose the hubs (which can be found for $5 on eBay) as general purpose devices... say for running Home Assistant, or some other lightweight system.

This is great news, 

@AndrewX192 do you know if anybody is workinga new OS to repurpose the Hub into a general computer device? Stripping all Iris codebase? Maybe one suitable for HomeAssistant or SystronicsRF? I wish I knew how to do it.

Thanks,

AFAIK nobody is working on that for HomeAssistant or SysfronicsRF. I doubt there's much value in trying to support SystronicsRF since they don't support the zigbee chipset in the IRIS hub - their solution runs higher level in the stack and thus they're dependent on multiple Zigbee coordinators in order to support AlertMe and HA devices. I've already been able to get the HubOS built and operating on a number of Arcus deployments, with a very modern (4.19.78) kernel, so the future seems pretty bright for hub tweaking. The Hub only has 2GB of persistent storage, so any non-IRIS use cases will be confined.

Did you follow the instructions for "Release Testing" in the README? The hub will look in the root of the USB drive for update images, but it needs to be the signed version.

Please also note that `master` on arcushubos is based on Yocto 2.4, there's a branch based on the latest version of Yocto Linux if that interests you.