How to write a Driver
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Not sure where the best place to post this is. I could really use a driver for my Iris V1 Keypad (for use on Hubitat). I don't know if anyone here has made an attempt, or who has any insight on how to start. I'm not a programmer, so I don't really know where to even start to learn how. Anyone know how I could even start on something like this?

Mike, the main driver developer for Hubitat was planning to look into this about 8 months ago but I've never heard that he made any headway.  He wrote drivers for most of the other v1 devices he just never got the keypad working enough to release it I think.

@Terk Yeah, that I think was supposed to be the plan. I'm thinking it MUST be possible though if systronics got it to work. It's very frustrating because those V1 keypads are literally gold. Very well made.

Actually, they have literally got EVERYTHING to work, including all of those Iris cameras.

It's hard to say, that depends on skill level and potential platform limitations. In general, I've had good experience porting code form hubitat and smartthings to run on Arcus, but I haven't gone the other way. This specific driver runs on the hub and the groovy equivalent isn't fully-featured from my quick glance. If there's an existing keypad driver you may be able to use that as a starting place, but again I'm not too sure about the limitations of Hubitat

I have a few of the gen1 keypads sitting on a shelf hoping one day i could use them again not for their looks but they worked great until Iris went under.  As far as the cameras go i gave all of mine to my parents and configured them via the http put commands for use with Blue Iris, their serving them well so far, of course they have nowhere near the quality of night resolution of my Dahua Starlights but my Dad was happy with them for free.