Careful with old Iris Cameras

10 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share that someone has been trying to access my old Iris Indoor and Outdoor cams. My Xfinity Gateway prevented access to the foreign IP address.I did have them connected to SmartThings via the setup on this site. Since they no longer record and we're just additional to my Ring Security and the many cameras I have that are ring now, I just disconnected them. I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this issue? Ring has along way to go with home automation but I believe they are much better than what we had with Iris. Just make sure you use all the required new security features including two step verification and only use a unique password for your system.

17 hours ago, neoleo2003 said:

The new free security from Comcast Xfinity for accounts with 1000mbps with their gateway  has been sending me notifications like crazy. 

Did you reset the camera's and start over using the instructions on this forum?  If not your cameras are still looking for the Iris servers and would be what you are seeing.

Further to this, I have 13 of these cameras and a very serious fire wall running.  I am blocking thousands of incoming intrusion attempts daily.   There is no unusual activity coming from any of my Iris camera.

Then if you all are having the same alerts, I guess that I can assume it's normal for this to occur. Xfinity has just made the notices more prominent. I just found it odd the ring cameras and wyze were not having the same issues .

9 hours ago, neoleo2003 said:

Then if you all are having the same alerts, I guess that I can assume it's normal for this to occur. Xfinity has just made the notices more prominent. I just found it odd the ring cameras and wyze were not having the same issues .

Is your question directed at me? If so the alerts I am seeing are not from Xfinity, I don't use any Xfinity supplied hardware. The firewall in my router catches them and emails me a report every day with the IP number of the attacker, the date/time, and type of attack (DoS, Port Scan, etc).

The alerts are from the xfinity router they give the location and ip address and says that it attempted to log into the device and it blocked the attempt and to update the firmware and change the ip address.