Starting up with Hubitat
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I just switched to Hubitat, I finally gave up on Systronic.  I thought I had read that HE supported the V1 keypads but sadly no, everything else worked so not a deal breaker.

I am not 100% sold on the V1 device support on Hubitat though.   I was at first, as all my devices migrated over with not a single hiccup.  About 2 weeks in though all my V1 devices stopped talking.  I had to reset and re-pair almost every one of them. Then I had to go back and update all my rules. Luckily I only use the V1 devices in my shop so it's not huge deal. It may have just been a bad device that corrupted the Zigbee mesh. 

I am still sold on the Hubitat platform, however, as I have started migrating my ST hub over to HE.  I have most of my automations in ST on webcore, and webcore runs on the HE hub.  So I was able to migrate all my pistons over from ST and they run pretty as is on HE.  Apparently they frown upon using webcore on the HE hub but I have seen no down side yet.  I did move a good portion of my simpler automations to rule machne.  RM took some getting used to.  I am starting to get the hang of it now though and it's not too bad.  Webcore is far superior IMO, but RM is okay.

Using the Hubconnect app I can even tie in a couple of the integrations on my ST hub that HE doesn't support.  Mainly my Leviosa shades and Arlo cameras.  .  I had hoped to use some of my spare V1 stuff to fill in some gaps, adding in some additional motion and contact sensors.  Cheaper than having to buy new stuff.  Until I see how the shop holds up I will keep my House hub V1 free I think. 

I am using quite a bit of v1 stuff on my HE hubs.  I have three HE hubs.  One in my shop and one in the house that have all of my Zigbee and Zwave devices connected to them.  Then I have a third hub that is connected to the other hubs and acts as a server hub.  The server hub runs all rules and automatons.  Since getting it set up, I don't fool with it much any more.  It just works and does its thing without issue.  That's how it is supposed to be.  I tried Smartthings before moving to Hubitat and it seemed like all I did was try to keep things working and running,  It was literally a full time job.  I'm really happy on Hubitat. 

I don't have any v1 devices here but I have a number of them on my parents hub and they haven't had any issues with them.

I had issues with multiple devices on one side of the house dropping off every week or two and battery life issues on those devices then the battery died in one of my Iris v2 sensors and I couldn't get to it to replace the battery for a few months and everything was stable in that time.  Spring finally came around and I could replace that battery and all of a sudden things on that side of the house started dropping off again so I've had the battery out for about a month and a half and no issues so I'm going to replace that device and see if there are any issues but my guess is its a bad device that was causing interference with the other devices.

I gave up on SystronicRF early on mainly because I felt they were taking way too long to develop profiles for some of my key devices. The main reason for moving to their platform was because of their support for Iris V1 devices.  Even though Lowes reimbursed us for these I didn't want to throw away thousands of dollars if I didn't have to.  I spent hours working with Andy in the early stages of development and I learned a lot about a Raspberry Pi so it wasn't a total loss.  When Hubitat started supporting V1 devices I quickly baled out of the Systronics beta program and have never looked back.  I have since repurposed my Raspberry Pi to use as a system reporting tool for Hubitat and to interface all of my devices into HomeKit.  I use HomeKit to control my system when I'm not at home.

When I first started with with Hubitat I quickly learned that even though the my GE Link bulbs were supported they caused issues with my zigbee network.  To resolve this I purchased a second hub and am using it as a dedicated hub for my GE Link bulbs and haven't had any issues with any zigbee devices since.