First Alert Zsmoke chirping at less than 77%
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I have a rather large fleet of First Alert's zsmoke detectors, and one zcombo associated with iris. I've had several start chirping within a few months of purchase and popped new batteries in, and just now have started investigating what seems to be a premature warning from the smoke detector.

First Alert technical support was helpful, I tested a detector that shows 77% on Iris status and was chirping low battery at 1.390V per cell on the OEM Duracell batteries. 1.390V seems too high to be a low battery, although a new Alkaline starts at 1.600. They shipped me a new zsmoke no questions asked (didn't even ask for a return of the old unit).

I am going to put these 1.390V cells in the new detector that was sent to see how it responds.

First Alert was unable to determine what final voltage the detector is looking for the low battery chirp or the voltage span for the percentage, but the percentage indicated seems to feel accurate for an alkaline span.

Any similar experiences?

Try this and check what does smoke think is a voltage 

https://www.irissmarthome.com/v5/users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/hubs/only/devices?detail=versionInfo+channelValues

measuring tens of a volt and even hundreds of a volt requires a pretty decent multimeter or oscilloscope... and make sure you measuring it under load (batteries inserted).

I don't have Iris smoke to play with personally :(

"id":"AD-05-00-C8-17-75-EE-08","name":"SMOKE OFFICE","type":"FirstAlertSmokeAlarm","typeId":"42096","protocol":["zwave"],"isZwave":true,"isGeneric":false,"version":"VERSION_UNAVAILABLE","latestVersion":"VERSION_UNAVAILABLE","hardwareRevision":"VERSION_UNAVAILABLE","channels":{"presence":true,"battery":2.5,"batteryPercentage":0,"batteryLevel":0,"signal":100}},

xKing: thanks for the URL that is golden my friend.

This data above is from a test with some really dead batteries in an older Zsmoke, 1.25VpC. I have two good DMMs that are both in agreement on voltage within 0.03V.

I just installed the 1.39VpC 76SoC% chirping batteries into the replacement Zsmoke from First Alert technical support, and it is now showing 83%:

{"id":"AD-05-00-C8-17-75-88-2D","name":"SMOKE UPSTAIRS GUEST","type":"FirstAlertSmokeAlarm","typeId":"42096","protocol":["zwave"],"isZwave":true,"isGeneric":false,"version":"0.5r0","latestVersion":"VERSION_UNAVAILABLE","hardwareRevision":"0.0","channels":{"presence":true,"battery":4.66,"batteryPercentage":83,"batteryLevel":5,"signal":100}},

Note the version 0.5r0 on the newer Zsmoke? Hmmm very interesting. It seems to be scaling the battery voltage differently.

Further testing has revealed this repeatable data using the same batteries.

1.39V per cell in an old 2013 Zsmoke makes 76% battery level and causes low battery chirping.

1.39V per cell in a new replacement Zsmoke makes 83% with no chirping.

I have had one if my First alert Iris smoke/CO detectors start chirping for low battery when it seems be about 70% charged. If I out in new ones it stops but this has happened several times in the last few months. My wife has a meltdown each times it happens. Sounds like if I contact first alert they might send me a replacement?

Hi. Just for grins and giggles. Have you guys try the factory reset? Not just hitting the test button to force a health update, but a full factory reset?

RESET DEVICE If the device is powered up with the test button held down for 10+ seconds, the device will reset all Z-Wave settings and leave the network. NOTE: The device will not remain awake after resetting and will go into standby mode.

I think the English translators might have been drinking too much sake. With the a fresh set of batteries push and hold the test button for 10 seconds

It seems that Iris handles the smokes just fine. The Detector itself doesn't handle itself properly. I tested the batteries and the low battery chirp comes on way before it should. FirstAlert couldn't quote what the low voltage warning should activate at, but without question they replaced the detector.

I've had a few false alarms from various Zsmokes from FirstAlert.

I want to try rechargeable alkalin batteries in these. NiMH won't cut it.

I just mentioned this same experience in another thread.  I haven't tested voltages but I've had them chirp within a few months and that seems excessive unless they have a problem that is using up batteries and the battery level reading in IRIS is also inaccurate.

I have 11 Smoke/CO detectors.  Five of them have the supplied Duracell Alkalines in them and all report battery levels in the mid 80% range.  I have double A lithiums in the other 6 and they all report 100%.  Lithium's maintain higher voltage levels over a longer period of time and I will eventually have them in all of my Iris gear where double A's are required.  I order them in bulk from Amazon.  I would have them in the other 5 Smoke/CO's now but they are a pain to get to so I will change them when they start chirping which as I recall is somewhere in the high 70% range. 

Hi everyone. Just wanted to give some insight that may be helpful in this thread. Since the smoke detector is meant to be used as a listening device, it only reports battery level to the Iris system approximately every 7 days, so the reading in the Iris dashboard may not always be correct but should be very close. The premature chirping, however, sounds like an issue on the device side and it would probably be best to reach out directly to First Alert for more information. They can be reached at: 1(800)323-9005.