Geo location
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I would love to see the mobile app integrate with Geo location and magic rules to allow more specific device control. Similar to the key fob but with magic integration and without the delay in action because of the delay with the key fob pairing with the hub.

I would love to see the mobile app integrate with Geo location and magic rules to allow more specific device control. Similar to the key fob but with magic integration and without the delay in action because of the delay with the key fob pairing with the hub.

Keyfob issue deals with the signal.... you probably would be better off using a range extender.... what your asking for is probably too complicated for something like this to work properly

Keyfob issue deals with the signal.... you probably would be better off using a range extender.... what your asking for is probably too complicated for something like this to work properly

Actually the delay I referenced is caused because the hub pings every so often looking for both the key fob and senior pendant.

I'd like to chime in on this.

In theory, I think the geo-fencing would be an awesome idea.

I don't have a ton of experience with it,  but I use it for the apple find my friends app and I've found it to be unreliable.

To work properly,  wouldn't your cell phone literally having to be pinging it's location constantly?

For that to happen,  wouldn't you have to allow for the IRIS app to allow to run constantly in the background and for it to be constantly pinging GPS?

I would imagine if all were true,  it would just completely suck your phone's battery dry.

I've set the find my friends app to notify me when someone leaves a location,  (geo fence)  and I've found it doesn't work reliably and it's not always instant.

I just don't think your phone communicates the GPS every second like would be required for it to work as designed.

The problem with the key fobs is they ping every 2 minutes and they told me that was designed to optimize the key fob battery.

My solution was as the previous posted mentioned,  I put a range extender in my garage.

If you imagine a 120 second window between pings,  you just have to cross the imaginary range border some time in that window but before you open the door to your house.   I was able to make it much better by putting the extender in the garage.

In my opinion,  I don't think the ultimate solution is geofencing,   as I think that may work but I don't believe the accuracy and performance will exceed the existing 2 minute window on the keyfob 100% of the time.

I think what they need to do is allow for the user to customize the ping time.

They may have picked 2 minutes because they didn't want people to be pissed if their battery on their fob tied quickly.

Well I've used mine for over a year and still have almost full battery life.

They should just allow you to select the ping time as 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 5 min, etc.  with a disclaimer that more frequent pinging will decrease battery performance.

So if the ping time were simply reduced to 1 minute with an expectation the battery may last less than a year,  I think most people would be happy

Actually the delay I referenced is caused because the hub pings every so often looking for both the key fob and senior pendant.

It pings for the Keyfobs and Pendant every 2 minutes if anyone wanted to know.