Keen home air vent
5 5

48 posts in this topic

I'm interested in one of the vents because I have a basement theatre room that I'd like to heat ONLY when I'm planning to use it.  Doesn't make much sense to heat it every day when I use it maybe once a week to every two weeks.  Though I guess I could just go downstairs and open the vent an hour before I plan on using the room. :P 

In my basement theater room, I have a $30 space heater plugged in to a smart plug. Running it for 30 minutes completely heats up the room, and it only costs about $0.10 

I have a space heater too but it isn't enough.  The room is 300 square foot and without supplemental heat from the furnace sits at 51* in a Michigan winter.   Running three hours my space heater can't get it above 64. :( 

I've been manually closing my vents for years in areas we don't use very often. If there has been back pressure issues that would damage the furnace it would have done the damage by now. However I've had no issues with the furnace. Eventually having a zoned dampers system with independent thermostats etc would be what I would go for. But that sounds like a pretty big job and probably expensive if you can't do it yourself . For now the smart vents would just mean I don't have to open and close the vents manually.

Hey everyone. I'm Keen Home's Head of Community. I wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm available if you have any questions. You can respond to this thread or email contact@keenhome.io to reach me. I'll also be hanging out in other threads here, so if you see me don't hesitate to say hi  :D

Hey everyone. I'm Keen Home's Head of Community. I wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm available if you have any questions. You can respond to this thread or email contact@keenhome.io to reach me. I'll also be hanging out in other threads here, so if you see me don't hesitate to say hi  :D

Welcome to the forum. When will these be available and able to be used with Iris?

We'll start shipping Smart Vents this summer. They will work with Iris on launch day (we already have a build that works with the Iris Hub in our office).

Can you be a little more specific on "this summer"?  Also what will the cost be?  I understand there is or was a pre order from your site. Will these be sold by your company, Lowe's or both?

Welcome, thanks for joining the forum. I did the pre order fir two vents. There was much debate about the back pressure on the hvac and condensation build up concerns for closed vents. Any comments on those topics?

Sorry for being MIA everyone!

Can you be a little more specific on "this summer"?  Also what will the cost be?  I understand there is or was a pre order from your site. Will these be sold by your company, Lowe's or both?

Certainly. We're on track for an August release of our 4x10 and 4x12 vents, and a September release of our 6x10 and 6x12 vents. Each vent will retail for $90 (though we are offering up to 35% off during the pre-order period that is running now). The Smart Vents will be sold direct through our website, in Lowes stores, and through Amazon. 

Welcome, thanks for joining the forum. I did the pre order fir two vents. There was much debate about the back pressure on the hvac and condensation build up concerns for closed vents. Any comments on those topics?

Congrats on your pre-order! And thank you for the warm welcome :) There has been a lot of debate about the back pressure on HVAC, etc. here and elsewhere. We chalk this up to a general need to educate people about our product. In short, the integrated temperature and pressure sensors ensure that neither variable exceeds safe levels (as determined by our algorithms, which are still being refined as part of our research with the National Science Foundation). If too much pressure builds up behind the vents, they will automatically open to relieve it. We've been speaking with HVAC pros to ensure this is properly taken into account.  

Welcome Nate ,
Looking forword to your vent. I already sent in the size survey for my preorder two vents. Can't wait

Congratulations on your pre-order! We can't wait to get them to you. 

Keep the questions coming!

Are duct temperature and pressure (I assume relative pressure compared to the room pressure?) values available for the end user? How do you know the "safe" pressure for this particular system? What about 2-stage and variable fan speed systems?

What kind of pressure sensors you use? Good meters ain't cheap, Fluke 922 for example.

What about 6 x 6 vent that is about all I have upstairs, half the house, in my home that was new construction a year ago.

No 6x6 vents at this time, but we've started talking about other sizing options. So far the most requested size is 6x14. 

Are duct temperature and pressure (I assume relative pressure compared to the room pressure?) values available for the end user? How do you know the "safe" pressure for this particular system? What about 2-stage and variable fan speed systems?

What kind of pressure sensors you use? Good meters ain't cheap, Fluke 922 for example.

Good questions. We're measuring static temperature inside the ducts themselves. This information is not relayed to the end user but we may make it accessible through our API in the future. We're basing our pressure measurement algorithms on an ideal level of 1/2 an inch of water or 124.58700 pascals, but are working with the National Science Foundation to refine them.

Nate,

I would be interested in an iris controlled damper for the ductwork at the main trunk. I think this would be much simpler to design and produce than the vents. The dampers are already out there in all the sizes, you would just need to design a motor to open and close, and then have it controlled by Iris. Just a thought.

Yeah, I guess so. I would just have to use a sensor in those rooms to monitor the temp and tie in magic rules. I would love a sale on the smart plugs, could get expensive at 29 a pop.

Hey everyone! Thought you would be interested in knowing that we just opened up pre-orders again! You can get up to 35% off on 2 or more vents from now until 6/30. You can pre-order at keenhome.io.

We're also currently running an affiliate promotion where you can get a four vent system free by saving your friends $40 on their pre-orders. You can find out more here.

Hey everyone! Thought you would be interested in knowing that we just opened up pre-orders again! You can get up to 35% off on 2 or more vents from now until 6/30. You can pre-order at keenhome.io.

We're also currently running an affiliate promotion where you can get a four vent system free by saving your friends $40 on their pre-orders. You can find out more here.

Do you have any technical details, or pamphlets that helps understand why there is no risk using a system like this to your HVAC system (aside from your FAQ page)?

What is the warranty on these units?

There will be no POSTING FOR LINKS for Referrals in the Forum. Sorry folks but this uses up space and if you want to reffer friends please use the Twitter or Facebook feeds. I will be edited any posts that have links. Thank you. 

Do you have any technical details, or pamphlets that helps understand why there is no risk using a system like this to your HVAC system (aside from your FAQ page)?

What is the warranty on these units?

Hey Jonathan. Right now we just have our FAQ page and Smart Vent info page. We are working on white papers with which we will share our research findings (we have a test home in New Jersey where we are testing everything from ambient airflow in the home to the impact of Smart Vents on energy costs). Until then, you can read this NSF-sponsored study on zoned systems at the register level. Our own NSF-sponsored research is based on this. Note that Keen Home Smart Vents also come with a temperature and pressure sensor that tracks conditions in the duct and automatically open the vents to relieve and build up in static pressure or unsafe temperatures. 

Our return policy is no-questions asked within 60 days of purchase. Even after that period, if you can clearly demonstrate that your vents have stopped working on their own, we'll send you a replacement or a refund.