Power Adapter for Siren Module
4 4

36 posts in this topic

Well, we never did ever get this figured out OR  was someone able to figure out if a DC Adapter works with the Indoor Siren and if so what is the correct TIP Size for it. I wasn't thinking and bought 3 of these off eBay and wrong TIP Size. Can't find my tip adapter box so I can see what size it truly is. My batteries finally have gone down to about 30-40% and would love to hook up the Siren via an AC/DC adapter and then have the batteries run in case of power outage, but not even sure that's possible till I can really test out the Siren. Has anyone been able to fully test it out running off batteries and the adapter? I know I had said I would Months ago and guess I got a little lost on getting it done. Then only to order the wrong tip size for the siren(s). 

The manual doesnt say you can have both installed at the same time. Its says instead of.

I have 2 installed. One under the eave of the Garage and one on the back poorch,

I noticed the other day that it timed out after 3 or 4 mins.     Has anyone else noticed this. I thought it would stay on as long as it was alarming.

Thats the way I have it set but its ignoring the settings in iris and times out after 3 mins. 

The manual doesnt say you can have both installed at the same time. Its says instead of.

I have 2 installed. One under the eave of the Garage and one on the back poorch,

I noticed the other day that it timed out after 3 or 4 mins.     Has anyone else noticed this. I thought it would stay on as long as it was alarming.

Thats the way I have it set but its ignoring the settings in iris and times out after 3 mins. 

Yeah, I know as I looked at the Lowes, Ultitech, and the Everspring and none of them state the tip size for the AC/DC adapter. I had to email the manufacture and still waiting to hear back from them. I'd llke to also find out from them if you do have AC/DC plugged in and power goes out will it kick over to the internal batteries. As, I'm not sure if having the AC/DC plug (which looks like it's a 0.8mm to me) keeps the C Batteries from being utilized. I'd really hope it works this way as that makes it much nicer and I know that the pierching alarm and strobe light will be 100% strong. Batteries just kick in when there is no AC. 

You know tmaster as I was reading all 3 manuals I had noticed that it says the Indoor Siren will sound off for a certain amount of time and wasn't sure if IRIS can override that time limit in the system. I think I have mine set for 5 mins, but never really tested it to see if all 3 sirens would keep sounding for the whole 5 mins. Hopefully, someone here knows and has tested it. 

Comment for OP: I have had the siren since first released - I believe a year ago now - and have not had to replace the batteries yet, in fact they are still at 80% life if you can believe the iris console.  My two cents is that the adapter may not be worth the trouble or money. 

This is my experience as well.  16 months since it went up, and the batteries are still showing 80%.  It's not worth the trouble to me either.  I can buy and put in alkaline batteries every couple years.

I purchased my Iris system in July of 2014 and got my siren then.   Since then I am currently sitting at 30% battery 1 year 4 months later.  But, I have also had at least 4-5 10 minute activation of the sirens from false alarms...   I'm not going to bother with an AC adapter either as replacing the batteries maybe once a  year isn't a big deal. 

I agreewith you all, but id feel better if my sirens ran off AC and had DC as a fallover. Im going to try and finally do some testing on this just in case i dont hear from Everspring on the technical specs of the siren.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread but I was searching for answers...

I have a 6 volt adapter and tried it before finding this thread. I didn't appear to work, however, that may be because it's only 300mA. The battery cover on my Utilitec siren (that I bought today) has a sticker stating that the DC jack has "no function". Did it have this sticker when you folks bought yours?

Having AC with battery backup would be great but my biggest reason for wanting AC is *IF* it allowed this siren to act as a repeater. I've read that the Everspring siren will do this, however the source (user reviews) is not 100% reliable. Does anyone here know if either the Utilitec or the Everspring siren function as a repeater while powered by AC? And did anyone ever get the Utilitec to run on AC?

I have a 6 volt adapter and tried it before finding this thread. I didn't appear to work, however, that may be because it's only 300mA. The battery cover on my Utilitec siren (that I bought today) has a sticker stating that the DC jack has "no function". Did it have this sticker when you folks bought yours?

My Siren when I bought it in 2014 did not have this sticker, no. 

Well, here's my analysis, based on my siren:

1) The adapter tip is 1.35mmX2.5mm.

2) Docs say NOTHING about using an adapter.  Inside the mounting bracket, there's a note that says "DC jack (no funtion).  Big clue that an adapter won't work.

3) The DC jack is a switch type; when plugged in, the negative pole of the adapter is connected to ground, and the negative battery terminal is disconnected  (in other words, the batteries are physically disconnected when the adapter is plugged in.  To use an adapter PLUS batteries, this would have to change.

4) The manufacturer did not install a diode at a location near the adapter jack.  This diode is in series with the adapter, so without this diode, an adapter *cannot* work, as the jack is basically disconnected.  There's also a diode that's in-series with the positive battery terminal.  The two diodes have their cathodes tied together in a "diode OR" configuration (whichever voltage is higher, wins).  I imagine that the missing diode is supposed to be a schottky type, with a low forward-voltage drop.

So, here's the problem:  the adapter circuit was disabled by the manufacturer, for whatever reason.  Even if you add the diode, plugging in the adapter *disconnects* the batteries, so there's no siren if there's a power failure.  Had I designed the circuit, I'd have used rechargeable NiCd batteries as the backup, and an adapter as the primary power source.  Unfortunately, I have neither the time, nor inclination to re-design this product, so I guess I'll be using batteries for the time being!

While we are kicking around an old discussion, I put my siren into service in 2013.  It still is reporting 70% battery level.  At this rate IRIS will be obsolete before the batteries are in need of replacing.