orbit irrigation
5 5

25 posts in this topic

New to iris and looking at a few devices. Already have garage door/light switch/the the higher priced starter kit. Will get aeon power monitor when supported. Would rather have it indoors.

how is everyone using orbit 12 station with iris? Does it connect with local weather? Getting a message a zone is on means little to me. The magic rules for irrigation don't seem too intelligent. Maybe I'm completely wrong?

Thanks. I have the alternative app. I'm surprised it's free. I don't mind paying for apps. Certainly support the small guys.

I was one of first people with Zwave devices years ago. Devices were huge. Just bought new house and amazed at how far the new devices have come.

Thanks. I have the alternative app. I'm surprised it's free. I don't mind paying for apps. Certainly support the small guys.

I was one of first people with Zwave devices years ago. Devices were huge. Just bought new house and amazed at how far the new devices have come.

I believe he is more the willing to get a little $$$ for his great achievements and keeping the app up to date. I know at one time there was a link for donations, but please feel free to contact him via Private Message and ask for his Paypal account. I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.  :)

Any issues with the limited magic settings?

There is no magic.  You otherwise have control of the zone schedules, manual watering and rain delay. You can also set the controller to manual  or schedule in the home modes.

Ended up buy Rachio. Nice setup so far. Don't care if it works with iris. I liked built in wifi. I'm going to keep adding GE Zwave switches and if Iris doesn't expand I'll move.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ended up buy Rachio. Nice setup so far. Don't care if it works with iris. I liked built in wifi. I'm going to keep adding GE Zwave switches and if Iris doesn't expand I'll move.

Still happy with this?  I think this is my next purchase.  Trying to decide if I want to go with a smart controller like this or the cheaper Iris Orbit controller.

I've been happy. My water company offers a $100 rebate for buying one so it made it a easier choice for me. I utilized my existing sensor on the house.

Recently it auto adjusted to +7% due to weather.

I do like the idea of a sensor in ground.

One of the best things I like is looking at the logs.

Here is a example.

post-3281-143567264108.png

an old thread relevant to moisture detection and the irrigation controller

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/158-iris-yard-stake-pulse-moisture-sensor/

and an old CES post from 2 years ago where it talked about the device coming out that would work with IRIS. Don't know why you would display and then never release the product.

http://livingwithiris.com/2013/06/26/what-products-will-lowes-iris-integrate-in-the-future/#more-423

and an old living with IRIS post before the forum was created.

http://livingwithiris.com/2013/06/26/what-products-will-lowes-iris-integrate-in-the-future/#more-423

an old thread relevant to moisture detection and the irrigation controller

Again I don't bleed Iris/Lowes blue.  :-)  But this shouldn't be levelled onto Iris/Alertme/Lowes shoulders, rather this is an Orbit "FAIL". I am sure when this was conceived being able to add a moisture sensor was the plan. Isn't there a spot on the controller to add a sensor? Orbit just never came out with it I believe.

Lowes/Iris can help push from their side but I would go over and beat up the crowd at Orbit :-)  

I would expect Orbit controller to have input for the rain sensor (N.C. contacts), no?

I just picked up the standard one you would put on a non-iris one and it worked fine, just doesn't show on Iris app that your in rain delay but you know it's been raining already.

I was honestly looking at going a different route. Something with intelligence and better reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Rachio-Smart-Enabled-Irrigation-Controller/dp/B00IEFXDIE

I see they have these on Woot.com today for $189.00, but they are rufurbed.    I never have good luck buying factory reconditioned stuff.  I have been back and forth on which system to get.  I have looked at the Rachio, Orbit for IRIS and the Skydrop sold at Lowes.  Can't decide.

I looked at all the options. Rachio has really came a long way with the updated app.

I was considering open sprinkler but liked built in wifi. It feels cheap but haven't had any trouble with it. I don't like how the cover goes on. It just doesn't feel solid.

On 7/24/2015 at 8:53 PM, techguy said:

I looked at all the options. Rachio has really came a long way with the updated app.

I was considering open sprinkler but liked built in wifi. It feels cheap but haven't had any trouble with it. I don't like how the cover goes on. It just doesn't feel solid.

I honestly think that Rachio is the best sprinkler controller on the market and even exceeds the popular RainMachine. It works way better and it's more flexible too!